GreaseSpot Cafe

Hu-mil-i-ty

Imagine

people probably brought pride into twi also. (not to say it wasn't founded on it).

folks didn't want to deal with their own problems.

"Hey look! twi says I don't I have too! I've found the magic bullet! I'll follow them and prove my friends and family wrong! . . ."

I'm sure that was true at least part of the time. it gave people prone to feelings of grandeur a way to really feel righteous.

and the not wanting to deal with their own problems, spot on. twi encouraged people to avoid secular therapists because secular therapists couldn't really help them, not having "the word". everyone was so damned righteous about their perfection in the lord. the corps who told people how to live, what to change to overcome personal issues: they gave outright wrong advice. they were not and still are not qualified to advise anyone on any personal subject, period.

toward the end, I started seeing a therapist in secret. not even my ex knew about it. that was the only way I was going to be able to get help.

:offtopic: But toward the end point of my splinter group experience I begged my ex-wife to go to some kind of couples threrapy with me.

I think you and I were at the wrong end of the same disease Potato.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by JeffSjo

i can't really buy into "it" being good and then going bad

i can believe that good people got duped, used, abused

i have my suspicions about the good dictor being good

------------------

" . . . People are complaining that we're not loving enough . . .LOVE!?!. . . .LOVE!?! . . . we're given 'em THE WORD!!!!!!!!! . . . .THAT's love!!! . . ." - lcm

warm fuzzies here

i thought you were quoting that thing about jesus being moved with compassion

I agree with all the previous posters who have said TWI was rotten to begin with.

I don’t mean to offend here – but in my opinion it’s a treacherous frame of mind to assume TWI was ever based on the Bible, fearing God, loving God & neighbor, or had anything to do with real Christianity.

As far as I’m concerned, the “best” TWI leadership had a real knack for pulling out the trump card of pride anytime the integrity of the organization was challenged – as if to say “How dare you question us! You’re really attacking the Word!” That’d put the kibosh on anyone actually thinking. Using the pride card was always a smart move to keep folks in check.

Yeah – I’ve done a lot of soul-searching since I left. Realized I had a big ego built upon the proud TWI mindset. I’ve also forgiven myself for being so dumb as to fall for their grand deception.

Thinking back on my time in Delusionville – I recall how adept certain leaders were in making Scripture conform to circumstance – basically whatever suited TWI’s agenda.

Delusionville was corrupt from the get-go…through the subtlety of malleable doctrines and by instilling a labyrinthine mindset, they had provided me with a glorious awe-inspiring clothespin so I didn’t have to notice the bull$h1t all along my journey. Of course, that’s just my opinion from personal experience.

What went wrong with TWI spiritually? I don’t think they ever had it right. Talking about the corruptness and why did it happen – consider the character of the founding president.

I agree with all the previous posters who have said TWI was rotten to begin with.

The only thing not rotten were the hearts of those who genuinely loved God who were duped. At some point I believe every one of them has the opportunity to look at and be disgusted with how they are living as Christians and to stop lying to themselves.

The only thing not rotten were the hearts of those who genuinely loved God who were duped. At some point I believe every one of them has the opportunity to look at and be disgusted with how they are living as Christians and to stop lying to themselves.

Thanks for mentioning that. My criticism is against the organization, certain leaders and a toxic philosophy that commandeers unsuspecting souls into its ranks. I think a powerful dynamic of the TWI mindset is the complexity of twisted doctrines & practices that over time tend to frustrate conscience and reason.

I mentioned the labyrinthine mindset in my previous post. If memory serves me right - I think in Greek Mythology, the labyrinth was such a complicated design of mazes & dead ends that is was the perfect system to imprison someone. I’m of the opinion, that if you squelch conscience and reason you’ve pretty much incapacitate one’s ability to detect & deal with moral issues and sabotage problem-solving skills on non-moral issues.

I believe that anyone who stuck around TWI for awhile was susceptible to this mind-numbing process to some degree.

Also, in thinking about what you said of people that need to stop lying to themselves – I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on humility. Popular TWI leaders had an elaborate façade of false humility. We’d hear stuff like: “I wish I were the man I know to be…If there was another group that had more of the rightly divided Word - I’d join it…I have no problem forgiving someone because I know what God forgave me for…”

I think Rick Warren put it nice & simple – true humility is not thinking less of yourself – it’s thinking of yourself less. Reflecting on times past - I guess the folks that have a “good rating” in my book now – meaning they’re NOT in the rotten category - were folks who didn’t do things for ego-sake or blathered on about how humble they were – or gloried in how many classes they put together or made sure you knew how much they’d given to the cause. It was folks who seemed to genuinely care about others…usually focused their attention & energy more on others than themselves.

As far as the rotten ones – we’ve all met them…doesn’t matter what level of leadership they were or just an average follower in a Twig. They adamantly supported & shoved it down your throat… TO A FAULT – “the greatness of the ministry.” There was no other agenda than what emanates from Headquarters.

Yeah, I can think of a few lies I’ve quit living: Thinking TWI and true Christianity were one and the same. Thinking PFAL is equivalent to the Bible. Thinking that mastery of PFAL translates to mastery of the Bible and reality. Thinking all I have to do is speak in tongues and everything will turn out okay. Thinking any struggles I had with conscience or reason were my five senses “battling the Word.” Thinking that the reason TWI had a meltdown was because I didn’t make the Word my own, my believing failed, or I let the devil trick me out of it.

…ok…I’m all talked out for now…love & peace T-Bone

Yeah, I can think of a few lies I’ve quit living: Thinking TWI and true Christianity were one and the same. Thinking PFAL is equivalent to the Bible. Thinking that mastery of PFAL translates to mastery of the Bible and reality. Thinking all I have to do is speak in tongues and everything will turn out okay. Thinking any struggles I had with conscience or reason were my five senses “battling the Word.” Thinking that the reason TWI had a meltdown was because I didn’t make the Word my own, my believing failed, or I let the devil trick me out of it.

Amen to that, Brother!!

I was with the Way for 16 years . looking back at it all it was nothing but a BS selfhelp outfit. take a class and then you fully instructed on the word . the leadership had no training on helping people with problems . no real ministers , no real leaders, just a class and you will know everything you need to know . they had no idea on marrage problems if your spouse does not want the word you should leave them ? this was a place where the word was used as a wepon to hurt each other . so why did we stay because leadership would pump you up with BS (you are the best,your rewards in heven, we are the household thats holding the world together) the Way International was never any good just had some good people looking for answers that the never found !