GreaseSpot Cafe

Chair-stringing 101

Ham

During the mid-nineties, our high exalted Way Corps branch coordinators were running the first of the WayAP classes for non-Way Corps PFAL grads. The class was going to be held in their living room, while twig meetings were to take place downstairs in the finished basement. I was asked to run the twig meetings and oversee witnessing downstairs while the BC & his wife did the class upstairs. I specifically asked if I could leave the downstairs "set up" for twig since I was coming from across town after a full day of work, had several kids who attended twig with us and only had one car, precluding separate trips for me & the wife & kids. Mr. Leader agreed.

On the second day that I would be over at the WC home to run the meeting I received a call from Mr. Leader about a half hour before start time. According to him, the room was a mess, disorderly and not at all ready for a meeting "where God's Word was to be held forth". Frantically trying to figure out what I had done wrong I raced over to receive instruction in proper room setup from the expert. When I arrived I found that all the chairs had been moved into the laundry room, the coffee tables had been stacked off to the side and the lamps were moved against the wall.

He and his wife forgot that they told me to leave the room set up and rearranged everything in order to 'work out"

For many who went thru corps "training"...........they never figured out how to separate the anal indoctrination FROM the practical application of love and common sense.

Call me a rebel.............but in my 17 years as a corps grad, I never utilized *chair stringing 101 in any meeting or twi function in 'my area.' As an area coordinator.....and, later, a limb coordinator for six years, I was fully invested in the 'eyeball it and call it good' method.

:biglaugh:

For many who went thru corps "training"...........they never figured out how to separate the anal indoctrination FROM the practical application of love and common sense.

Call me a rebel.............but in my 17 years as a corps grad, I never utilized *chair stringing 101 in any meeting or twi function in 'my area.' As an area coordinator.....and, later, a limb coordinator for six years, I was fully invested in the 'eyeball it and call it good' method.

For Way Corps grads as well as the non-Corps twig leaders, some folks just revelled in the power that they could have over people and others just took things like chair-stringing as something that could be used when necessary. The number of things that should have been "helpful hints", like chair-stringing became laws that could never be deviated from for some people.

Stringing chairs 101: use blue chalk lines, snap the string(like This Old House), use compass and protractor, surveying eqipment like high power lasers to adjust, nail and bolt down said chairs permanently, and tell twig/branch/ limb leader or Corp to F@#k themselves, smack them in the face/give black eye, and threaten to sue clergy for years of physical, mental, and spiritual abuse. One easy lesson :evildenk:

I really like the blue chalk line idea..

"nail and bolt down chairs permanantly"

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I used to drill holes in their floors. Ran the wire under in either the basement or crawlspace. Some "leaders" never figured out how I could hide or cover up the wires so as could not be seen without reels of duct tape..

this is true.. I left a trail of houses with holes in the floors..

Edited by Ham

Apparently I was never around when the string and tape measure came out. I never heard of chair stringing until I came here. If I had seen it, I probably would have had to stifle a few giggles, as people who need that sort of thing to line things up probably don't have a good eye for that kind of thing. Anyone who does have that kind of eye needs to be using that gift on something more important than chair alignment.

Perhaps it was all the focus on the trivial that kept people from seeing the big picture.

Yup – I think that was their standard operating procedure most of the time…Whether it was intentional or not – I tend to think some of PFAL was that way. vp would zero in on some details, often with little regard to the overall picture – like 4 crucified, the comma placement in Jesus' words from the cross, or a definition of a word.

It's funny how he handled II Peter 1:20, 21 – getting into Greek definitions to assert that the passage addressed the interpretation of Scripture – he totally ignored the CONTEXT which stresses the ORIGIN of the Scriptures.

Oops – sorry – didn't mean to derail the thread on stringing chairs…just wanted to make a point how some leaders were good at stringing people along. :)

• 1 month later...

Just incase anyone missed the video!

<embed src="http://www.tangle.com/flash/swf/flvplayer.swf" FlashVars="viewkey=47cbbb786b963b2b4312" wmode="transparent" quality="high" width="330" height="270" name="tangle" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>

does anyone know how hard it is to find a horn of plenty that looks like a way horn of plenty ?

--

i've also read on here through the years that people raked their carpet in their house so it would go in one direction

--

this may not fit but i thought of it ????

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

• Upvote 2

does anyone know how hard it is to find a horn of plenty that looks like a way horn of plenty ?

--Lots of them at the Good Will!

i've also read on here through the years that people raked their carpet in their house so it would go in one direction

That is just ridiculous!

--

this may not fit but i thought of it ????

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Something was wrong with this Canary..

It sung. Loudly..

but it was female. Supposedly it is VERY extraordinary to have a female canary sing in this manner..

it didn't know what to do with offspring..

somebody had better say something, before I keep rambling on..

We acquired the canary from my exes grandma. she raised canaries in her basement.. must have had a hundred or more birds in a very large room she netted off..

I think we "inherited" the "problem bird"..

This bird.. had "mother" tattooed on its chest.. along with "death before dishoner"..

must have had a rough childhood..

had to walk through the woods, uphill in both directions, before there were roads, on the way to school..

This is so nutty.. the only thing the google ads can come up with is an advertisement for Scientology at the bottom of the page..

maybe they need chairs strung or something..

Edited by Ham