GreaseSpot Cafe

accidentally ? have a LAN set up on my kid's computer

excathedra

What did you try exc, what happened.

I'm guessing you somehow put this computer on your home network?

And then tried to remove it? Lost the net in doing so....

What were the things you did that you can think of.

And I'm thinking you have cable or dsl, not dialup connection for the net.

Edited by cman

a dear friend set up this computer for me and he happens to have a LAN at home i believe

i just tried to disable it i think

i have high speed cable modem and a router

thank you, c

i don't want us to be networked

just all have internet access

but his acting so slow and screwy i'm wondering if this is the problem

????

ps. his computer is the best in the house and it's the worst and i feel so bad -- teenager

Exie I am not sure if this will work or not but it should

Go to All programs

then Accessories

Then System tools

then system restore and choose a date prior to when you changed his computer yeterday or the day before

The computer itself will restore you

This is usually a good quick fix.

I hope it works'' I know a few other things you can do but this is the layman's easy computer restore.

all network guys will now cringe but I am a regular computer user meaning I know just enough to get by or get myself in trouble but this usually works.

you can probably use 'system restore' to get it back to before you did anything

in the start menu-

Start

all programs

Accessories

system Tools

System Restore

choose a date to restore to that was before the problem

This would be where to start then we could see about the lan deal

for his slow computer you need to do two things

First once you get things back to normal

run a full virus scan

second late at night run an optimization.

this should help a little.

and have him remove as in throw out any old games and or music stored on there stuff he no longer uses

and have him off load some of his photos to either a memory stick or write them to a cd

you can probably use 'system restore' to get it back to before you did anything

in the start menu-

Start

all programs

Accessories

system Tools

System Restore

choose a date to restore to that was before the problem

This would be where to start then we could see about the lan deal

JINX you owe me a soda

thank you. (here we say "you owe me a beer")

okay, so i did a system restore and that was good

but then i uninstalled a couple of the LAN thingys and i don't think they come back after a system restore

what i want to do is go to device manager and uninstall network adapters

i want to get rid of this LAN totally, but i don't really know how

i have high speed cable, a router and 3 computers. i just want them to connect to the internet on their own

maybe i need a new router. i disconnected it and tried the (other) computer just to the modem and it worked faster

but then i reset the router and it seemed to help also

but my kid's computer is still too slow and i'm thinking it's the LAN thing

i want to get rid of it before i go buy a new router

so i'm reading and doing just enough things to screw him up completely

In the event that you ever want to remove your computer from your home network, you'll want to uninstall its network adapter, protocols, clients, and services. There is no point to running any of these components if they are not going to be used. Each one requires a small percentage of your computer's resources and will create an unnecessary drain.

To remove all the networking components from one of your computers first remove the hardware component and then perform the following procedure.

Click Start and then select My Network Places. The My Network Places dialog box appears.

Click View Network Connection in the upper-left pane.

Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties. The Local Area Connection Properties dialog box appears.

Select the desired client, service, or protocol and click Uninstall.

Click Yes when prompted to confirm the Uninstall.

If prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

how can i be sure of what the DESIRED client, service or protocol are?

i believe i got rid of two so far lol

Or leave the hardware alone, cause you have to use it for the net right?

Found this on a forum-

When you move it just run the network connection wizard again.

If you want to change it before you move it right click the My Computer Icon and select properties.

Then go to the computer name tab and click the change button at the button.

Change the workgroup and computer name if you wish.

If you have it setup to use a static IP address go back into network properties and change it back to automatically obtain an ipaddress.

doubt if this applies

If you have shared folders setup you may want to go and remove/delete them.

Edited by cman

Change the name of the computer and local network-LAN on the kids comp.

A network name that is not yours like mshome or workgroup.

Whatever name you use, give his a different one.

You can do it all in this panel from right clicking 'My Computer" on his computer.

After changing names, run the network setup wizard.

And choose that network with that computers own network name.

post-2446-1241365058_thumb.png

Edited by cman

thank you so much, c ((((((((( many hugs to you and leafy ))))))))

i went out and bought a g'damn router

it seems to be helping

computers frustrate me very much because i like to know what the hell i'm doing

what kind of class could i take ?

Guess ya no longer need help.. That's good! ;)

But just in case you ever run into this, it's good to know some basic things about a network.

The first being that for most, if they connect to the internet, then they connect to a LAN. If you have a router, then you have your own LAN at your house, or even if you have just a cable modem, then you connect to your cable/ISPs companies LAN/MAN.

A router does just what it's name says, "routes" packets/information between 2 networks (in this case, your local LAN at home and your ISPs network which somewhere connects you to the wider 'internet'). Some routers allow multiple computer connections some only one. But either way, if you have a router - you have a LAN at your house and it is necessary for you to connect to the internet.

Most routers these days have firewalls which keep your LAN at your home isolated from the rest of the world as long as it's enabled and it should keep the majority of creeps off your computer as long as you "safely" browse the web.

If you don't want on a LAN, either disconnect the cable or disable the "network connection" under "network properties".

The fact that you plug the computer into a network device at home places your computer on your LAN. It may not have all the "settings" needed to talk on the LAN, but it's on there. Then it is a matter of network configuration.

To access the internet you need the network adapters drivers and the TCP/IPv4 protocol, and some may also need the TCP/IPv6 protocol for ISP access. That's all the typical home internet user would need. The others are extra, "Client for Microsoft networks", "File and Printer sharing", "QOS Packet scheduler", etc... are typically not used unless you share files and folders or you connect to a Microsoft network, or you need QOS, but these are not used by at least 80% of the population not that they couldn't but most wouldn't know how to use it.

Just think of a LAN like the old fashioned party line phone service. You have a cable from your computer typically to a place on either a router or a network switch/hub. Anyone other devices (computers/printers) connected to that router/switch are on the same party line you share. And not everyone can talk at once and be heard. But that Party line is what is considered a LAN (local area network).

Well.. we could go on and on. But I'm sure it would be boring and there's plenty of guides online.

To access the internet you need the network adapters drivers and the TCP/IPv4 protocol, and some may also need the TCP/IPv6 protocol for ISP access.

Good post - but IPv6 is going to take a long time to adopt. While the standard was published over a decade ago we are still selling computers with NIC's that only buffer IPv4 MTUs and only decode IPv4 addresses. It is not just an issue of device drivers but hardware as well - admittedly in most but not all cases. One of the killers is that generally now your NIC is on the motherboard so it cannot be changed out - although you could add a separate NIC on the bus. I'm leaving IPv6 until forced to adopt it...too much local infrastructure to change out.

Good post - but IPv6 is going to take a long time to adopt. While the standard was published over a decade ago we are still selling computers with NIC's that only buffer IPv4 MTUs and only decode IPv4 addresses. It is not just an issue of device drivers but hardware as well - admittedly in most but not all cases. One of the killers is that generally now your NIC is on the motherboard so it cannot be changed out - although you could add a separate NIC on the bus. I'm leaving IPv6 until forced to adopt it...too much local infrastructure to change out.

While many can do without it.. The cable companies in my area are now requiring it. Their modems/Lan and entire infrastructure utilize and in fact require it. Installs at homes that don't support it, won't be receiving cable internet without upgrades!

So it's coming..

Who knows how long before we all must bow!

While many can do without it.. The cable companies in my area are now requiring it. Their modems/Lan and entire infrastructure utilize and in fact require it. Installs at homes that don't support it, won't be receiving cable internet without upgrades!

That's sounds a little like a cable company scam since IPv6 allows for embedded IPv4 addresses.

My computer rules of thumb... the more I know about the buggers teh more I realize how little I know... and the best way to fix most computer problems is to do a system restore or my other favorite trick turn the computer all teh way off unplug it from the wall re plug it in after a few minutes and fire that puppy up.. you would be amazed at how many times this little act repairs what ever was wrong...Most important step unplugging from the wall. No I have no idea why... I just know if you already tried a reboot and that didn't work sometimes the interuption (totally ) of electricity does the trick.

Most computers draw minute amounts of electricity even when turned off.

Also an ocasional kick is good for your soul... Okay don't kick it too hard. ;)