GreaseSpot Cafe

Memorial Day get togethers

kimberly

Any of you guys do any special cooking out, grilling, during the Memorial Day weekend. In our family we grill 12 months of the year. This year was special because I actually had the time to go to my moms for a big shindig. We are one cooking family. We invite everybody.

A ham was cooked on the grill the indirect grilling method. Fallen sticks from an Oak tree were put on the charcoal and gave the ham a wonderful flavor. We had pork cutlets marinated 3 different ways; cajun type dry rub, Carolina bbq and a soy/fish sauce/rice wine. The other meats were hamburgers brautwurst and marinated chicken breasts.

The rest of the eats was potato salad, cole slaw, corn on the cob, squash casserole, big green salad, macaroni/cheese pie, pickles, sliced cold watermelon, peach cobbler and apple pie.

It was a beautiful day. What fun.

It sounds like a great time Kimberly! I didn't do anything for Memorial Day, but we are planning a get togethers when I go home, a bar-b-que and possibly a crawfish boil. It will be huge since the size of my family is huge. I don't think we've ever done a ham on the grill before, how is it done?

gc

Yummsies, gc, a crawfish boil!! It has been years since I went to one. And the folks that hosted it were from Lousiana.

Ham on the grill....

Usually it is a picnic ham. Any fresh bone-in ham will do. Let it sit out on the kitchen counter a couple of hours so it will be near room temp. You want the inner part of the ham to be as close to the same temp as the outside of the ham. I don't do any dry rub or marinate on the ham.

How to set up the grill.....

Have 2 good bunches of Oak soaking in water for a couple of hours. If it is all dry then you will need more. A good combination is to have green and dry. It has to be the right size to fit in the grill. A good bunch is how much (after cut down to fit in grill) you can pick with both hands.

Place a heavy duty stainless steel pan or cast iron pan in the middle of the grill. Fill pan 2/3 to 3/4 full with water. Place charcoal around pan until it is stacked half way up the sides of the pan. Literally, up against the pan, not layed out flat around the pan. The object is to heat the water in the pan. Make sure all vents on the grill are open.

Start the charcoal. If you use lighter fluid, do not spray any in the pan of water. If you do, start over with a clean pan of water. Let the charcoal burn until it is ashy on the outside. This will take about an hour. Place half of Oak on charcoal. Lay ham on the grill above the pan of water.

Close the grill lid and close all vents. DO NOT OPEN LID. If, after about 30 minutes you do not see little wisps of smoke coming from grill then you may want to check to make sure charcoal is burning properly. Then again all grills are different. Some are sealed so tightly the charcoal may go out after a while and then you have to open a vent just a little bit to keep the air flowing to keep the charcoal lit.

Once you figure out how your grill works let the ham cook for 4 hours with lid closed. Then open, add more Oak, more charcoal, turn the ham and cook for 4 more hours. Cooking times also depend on the size of the ham. Also, you don't want a raging fire. You want a slow steady heat.

This makes for a moist, flavorful ham and ribs. I also use this method for large sirloin tip roasts.

How to tell the ham is done.....

When the internal temp is 165 degrees. Do not let thermometer touch the bone. Place it deep into the thickest part of the ham. When it registers 165 take ham from grill, set it on platter and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Then slice it.

Save bone and some meat around it for a pot of beans.

Ham on the grill....

Usually it is a picnic ham. Any fresh bone-in ham will do. Let it sit out on the kitchen counter a couple of hours so it will be near room temp. You want the inner part of the ham to be as close to the same temp as the outside of the ham. I don't do any dry rub or marinate on the ham.

...<snip>...

Sounds good - why don't you cross post that on the "In the Ktichen" forum?

LOL - OK had a stupid moment but I get a quota of those with age.

Brisket now...hmmm...I always use a flat cut - blade cut is too fatty. Season and put in covered roaster at 200F - No typo there - 200...leave in until mostly cooked...a couple of hours minimum...use a marinade to add seasoning to the meat - Stubb's is the best you can buy commercially - finish off in oven for 30 more mins

Take out to grill - use low heat - at this point you're just trying to set the flavor and render the fat. Grill on low for 15 mins per side - cover in Stubb's BBQ sauce - 15 more minutes per side on indirect heat.

Soft, falling apart, works for me

Edited by RumRunner