GreaseSpot Cafe

Minor Brushes with fame

mstar1

(Hello Dear C U F)

Here are a few of my Minor Brushes with fame:

(Chronological order sort of)

When I was about 10 yo, my family were taking a commuter plane - maybe a 20 seater - in Florida. The last 6 people to board were all decked out in White Fringe and Rhinestone Suits, Sunglasses, and they were 100% Snockered: Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders. My 10 year old eyes were bugging out - they were WILD. My Mom was freaking...

Partied with Stevie and Joe and Brad years before any albums, in their Allston MA apt. Actually Stevie's wife would not let him go to the the Allston apt...

Saw Cream 1968 ? at Psychedelic Supermarket in Boston - talked with Eric Clapton (about 15 minutes) and Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. Only about 30 people at show.

Nicol Williamson playing Hamlet at the Colonial in 1969 - went backstage 2 nights, including the famous night he threw the Skull into the audience and yelled at the audience. Met his Dad too. Both very nice men.

Went backstage at the Boston Tea Party and met:

The Birds

Fleetwood Mac - before girls in the band

The Yardbirds

The Small Faces

Doug Kershaw

other Bands I cant remember - Wendy and I were 16 yo and Damn good looking. We never had sex with any of them, in case there was curiosity!

Also met (some more than once):

Arlo Guthrie

Sha Na Na

J Giles BB

Livingston Taylor

James Taylor - not a nice person

Maria Muldaur

Jim Kweskin

Arthur Fiedler

Thunderclap Newman

Beverly Sills - a lovely kind woman

1974 ? at the Bourbon and Blues in Santa Fe NM met Dustin Hoffman playing pool. He was not a nice person. The Evan may have been there that night???

perhaps I have forgotten some...

like the Violin Soloist from Poland or Hungary or someplace, cant remember his name. Big thrill for me...

I met James Taylor just a month or so ago--seemed Ok to me...but it was just a quick hello..Arlo is a regular in town every once in awhile too...

Partied with Stevie and Joe and Brad years before any albums, in their Allston MA apt. Actually Stevie's wife would not let him go to the the Allston apt...
Are you talkin about Aerosmith? I went to high school with Brad Whitford..he was stoned a lot...

I see Elizabeth Shue every once in awhile,(The Karate Kids girlfriend) she likes the same breakfast place I do.. She is still a beauty and has two adorable children...

I see Karen Allen (Indiana Jones girlfriend) about 3-4 times aweek--she has a knitting shop in town

Kirstie Alley is as ditzy in real life as she was on Cheers, I opened a door for here when she had a coffee in one hand and a donut in the other and could not figure out how to open a door. She had that confused dog with the tilted head look on so I opened the door for here.

Mia Farrow gazed off into space while standing in a doorway at a bookstore and wouldnt let me pass until I asked about 3 times, finally I just blew past her maybe jostling her alittle bit while she was spacin'

I had a good time talking to Ramblin Jack Elliot on a park bench for about an hour a few years ago---he's has some seriously cool stories.

I got high with Muddy Waters at the old Pauls Mall in Boston in between sets sometime in the 70's

there are probably others

I never made it to the legendary Boston Tea Party--hats off to daggoo

For a time, I found myself in line with Henry Winkler at the studio commissary/ When I saw him waiting for a plane at the Dallas airport, I almost went over to him, thinking for a second he was someone I 'worked with'. I caught myself in time. I was also intrigued with the way Ted Koppel ate a tuna sandwich at the same commissary.

Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) used to visit a show I worked on with her nephew, who wanted to learn about animation, and she was friendly with the director. She could still look great in that Batgirl outfit.

I really enjoyed meeting Tommy Bond (Butch from the Little Rascals ).

I met Don Adams , and thinking of something to say, asked him why they only used Fang the dog in the first season of 'Get Smart' "That damn dog would pee all over the set", he said.

I'm realizing that the encounters that mean the most are those that I enjoyed growing up. I was never that impressed with Jennifer Garner for example, when she was filming 'Alias' here. Like baseball players, celebs seemed more important when I was 12.

Like baseball players, celebs seemed more important when I was 12.

True enough, todays celebs are just people whos face I recognize for the most part. Mentally I think ''O thats so and so", then within seconds I go back to, "I wish he'd get out of my way" :)

When they play some minor bit part in my life it makes a difference. I'd like to meet whoever did the voice of Fred and Wilma ---- if they are still with us. That would be fun..just to hear one 'Yabbadabba doo" and one " Frrrrrreeeeeeeeeeddd!" They're probably pretty tired of that by now though....

I met " The Beav", Jerry Mathers but he was past Beaver age and was trying to make it as a pop star by then

Edited by mstar1

Sadly, the Original voices of Fred, Wilma, Barney, and Betty ,(Alan Reed, Jean VanderPyl, Mel Blanc, and Bea Benaderet , are all gone. I'm not sure who does them now (mostly for Pebbles cereal ads), but it's not the same.

We still have June Foray, who did most every female voice in any Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera, or you name it cartoon. She's around 90, and still in good health.

Jerry Mathers outgrew the Beaver while the show was still on. Aging was not kind to his acting talents. Even Barbara Billingsley (Mom Cleaver) says that he lost his 'naturalness' as puberty hit. As did we all.

Are you talkin about Aerosmith? I went to high school with Brad Whitford..he was stoned a lot...

/////////

I never made it to the legendary Boston Tea Party--hats off to daggoo

Yes - Aerosmith - but Joe still drove a Fruit truck from Worcester to Boston.... no albums yet... Brad was very very nice - the nicest of all of them...

we lived at the Tea Party Thursday, Fri and Sat nights, sometimes Sunday.

We would go around back down the guardrail for Rte 9 and knock on the back door and get in for free... dont think we ever paid to get in.

The place was legendary really... saw Little Richard there too...

I met James Taylor just a month or so ago--seemed Ok to me...but it was just a quick hello..Arlo is a regular in town every once in awhile too...

I see Elizabeth Shue every once in awhile,(The Karate Kids girlfriend) she likes the same breakfast place I do.. She is still a beauty and has two adorable children...

I see Karen Allen (Indiana Jones girlfriend) about 3-4 times aweek--she has a knitting shop in town

Kirstie Alley is as ditzy in real life as she was on Cheers, I opened a door for here when she had a coffee in one hand and a donut in the other and could not figure out how to open a door. She had that confused dog with the tilted head look on so I opened the door for here.

Mia Farrow gazed off into space while standing in a doorway at a bookstore and wouldnt let me pass until I asked about 3 times, finally I just blew past her maybe jostling her alittle bit while she was spacin'

I had a good time talking to Ramblin Jack Elliot on a park bench for about an hour a few years ago---he's has some seriously cool stories.

I got high with Muddy Waters at the old Pauls Mall in Boston in between sets sometime in the 70's

I know where you live. . . that sounded ominous. . . :) What I mean is. . . it is a beautiful place. . . very artsy community. I live down the "Hill" from you and in the "Valley" where people might pass through on there way to the prettier parts.

Is GB near Lenox at all? That is another place they love to go. . . there is a very nice "Spa" there.

I was hoping to get up there, but we had to fire someone and I didn't want to do it.

It must be just stunning right now. . . . if people get the chance. . . they should visit the Berkshires. It just doesn't get nicer than that.

Hung out a little bit with Donna Lombardi before she married Loy, does that count? Hmm, I didn't think so either...

Ok, for real,

Hung out back stage with the Oak Ridge Boys and The Grateful Dead.

Worked for Michael Nesmith on a Gallagher video shoot.

Business parter with Lenny Lipton, who wrote the lyrics to "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Met Mythbusters Jamie Hyneman at my airport.

Got a call a few years ago from Ray Dolby asking about my products.

Got a call a couple of days ago from Paul Moller, the Skycar guy.

My wife worked in Aspen in her youth and says she met Bruce Lee after he was allegedly dead and got a backrub from John Denver (while he was alive)

Jim,

Hubby and son met Peter Yarrow who wrote the music and added to the poem, Puff the Magic Dragon! We know Paul Stookey enough to call him. . . . eeeeeh . . . friend? We saw him more before he moved away.

His wife Betty is a minister.

We met Mary Travers as well.

Hung out a little bit with Donna Lombardi before she married Loy, does that count? Hmm, I didn't think so either...
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha haha ha ha ha

but the rest ohmy !!!!!!

i'm so impressed with geisha and ALL of you

i feel like i'm with celebreties (did i spell that right? it looks funny)

MWAH

know where you live. . . that sounded ominous. . . smile.gif What I mean is. . . it is a beautiful place. . . very artsy community. I live down the "Hill" from you and in the "Valley" where people might pass through on there way to the prettier parts.

Is GB near Lenox at all? That is another place they love to go. . . there is a very nice "Spa" there.

I was hoping to get up there, but we had to fire someone and I didn't want to do it.

It must be just stunning right now. . . . if people get the chance. . . they should visit the Berkshires. It just doesn't get nicer than that.

It is stunning right now, There is nothing like the Berkshires in the spring for my money.

I was a ramblin guy for long time until I landed here, I have lived here longer than I have ever lived anywhere else It is a really great place, Friendly people, very beautiful --I feel very comfortable here I havent got the least inclination to move (... well sometimes when its cold but that is fleeting...)

I love it here. GB is two towns from Lenox-the Spa there is Canyon Ranch--there are a slew of famous people who go there --the Hollywood type crew--who are drawn by the excellent summer theater, the arts that populate the hills, the natural beauty, the music, all the eccentric and interesting artists and folks and the ease of living .. They sometimes fall in love with the place and have homes here.

Spielberg has a place here and Meryl Streep and Cher and blah blah blah

Its a good spot--common over sometime and say hi...but SHHHH dont tell anyone that its a hidden jewel-

I like it the way it is :wink2:

Pauls Mall - havent thought of that place for years... heard lots of music there, had drinks with Mike Nesmith

(of course Merry and I were like 15 yo...!!!)

do you remember the restaurant / diner on the corner - about 1 AM the transvestite show would start and get wilder through the night.

I am thinking maybe we know each other?

I DONT remember the TV Diner,(of course there are lots of things I dont remember from those years!)

Pauls Mall/Jazz Workshop two of the diviest little rooms hosted some of the best music from that era.

From Miles Davis to Rory Gallagher. I saw some great stuff in that smoke filled basement that filled up with maybe 100-150 people tops as I remember.maybe fewer. For awhile I was sort of a semi regular

You might know me, I grew up in Wakefield, MA but "hit the road" in about '73 or so. I was never in TWI in Massachusetts but thats not to say we didnt perhaps share some illegal substance at a concert somewhere once or twice or a dozen times :wink2: . The music crowd was (and still is) vibrant in those days and I knew a lot of faces and folks as regulars

I met one of my childhood hero's, Soupy Sales at some event in LA. He was in pretty bad shape, but I was able to thank him for helping me survive junior high. I hear he's doing better now, and I hope that's true.

People that aren't doing well now, but I happened to see shortly before their passing-Don Knotts, Jonathan Harris (Dr Smith), and Buddy Hackett, who I nearly knocked over exiting a door he was entering.

My niece actually hit me when I told her the Jonas Brothers were hanging out in the lobby of my workplace. I wish she could have traded places with me.

I met both Lois Lanes , Phyllis Coates, and Noel Neill,from the ancient Superman TV show, but not at the same time.

When I lived in Burbank, it seemed like Joanne Worley was everywhere-drugstore, supermarket , restaurants. She negotiated a bidding war between me and someone at a charity auction, over a drawing by Peter Falk. I'm still kicking myself for giving in.

I worked on an Adam Sandler movie, and saw him often, but really knew his pet bulldog, Meatball, better. Meatball would hang out in the studio, and was known to relieve himself in artist's cubicles.

Pauls Mall/Jazz Workshop two of the diviest little rooms

that smoke filled basement that filled up with maybe 100-150 people

I thought Palls Mall? JW was swanky the first time there - I was really a kid.

Sorry you missed the Diner - it shook all suburbia right out of me...

AND - do you remember going to The Psychedelic Supermarket ??

I saw Cream there for $2.75... talked with Eric & Ginger, Jack - only about 30 at the show...

Y'know I dont remember the Psychedic Supermarket--I might have been a little too young for that place--I spent alot of time and saw alot of great bands at the Performance Center in Harvard Square from about 72-75 or so...They had two rooms --I walked in on some band from New Jersey there once--Bruce Springsteen or something like that but left because I wasnt in the mood :doh:

I saw Weather Report across the hall instead.

Heres another very minor brush with fame...My friend Miriam does those little light cooking segments around the country on the morning shows :biglaugh: :biglaugh: (somebody's gotta do it.)

Shes out hawking her new Picnic cook book and a bunch of products now on a 50 city itinerary

You might see her some morning --when shes not doing this we eat breakfast together a few times a week at the diner. She's a good soul--if you see her say hi

Here she is last week in Detroit

Edited by mstar1

Performance Center in Harvard Square

I do not remember that place - at all!

Saw Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks in that theatre in H Sq... (one of the best shows I ever saw...)

I lived in Inman or Union Sq (cant remember) that is where JT lived also. saw that grumpy guy at every grocery store, newsstand etc...

Remember The Wursthaus Restaurant in H Sq?

I moved from the area in 73...

I remeber the Wursthaus-thats gone now, as well as most of the old Harvard Square which has been revamped--I have seen some great musicians and performers on the street in HS over the years..Bonnie Raitt was the first one I remember who made it as a name, but Ive seen others--Livingston Taylor, Tracy Chapman and probably others who I just never got to know knew their names in the first place...There has always been good musicians playing the streets there and still is....Inman Square had TT the Bears if I remember right-I saw Dave Van Ronk there once.

I unfortunately missed hearing THIS GUY"S days of playing the streets

Sunday Cambridge Commons Free Concerts!

everyone was there - JT, Livingston T, Van Morrison, Kweskin, Maria Muldaur, Peter Wolf, J Giles ... anyone living in the area played. Dancing to African Drummers... odd times...

Edited by Daggoo1

Cambridge in the 60's, odd times indeed!

I was talking to a neighbor of mine yesterday, who told me he played in the old Club 47 during the folk scare of the early 60's....He has his own niche claim to fame. Its not really famous but nearly everybody has probably seen what he does.

He was working at a Pizza place in Colorado in the 60's, a touristy type place at a ski resort where people were always asking for directions. Being stoned most of the time he would draw elaborate maps on the wrapping paper that included houses, streets, businesses, lakes, streams, mountains--whatever captrured his imagination--

He got alittle carried away--sometimes coloring them in---but people really liked them.

He moved around alot in those days and did it wherever he went.

When he got married his wife had the brainstorm to sell advertising on them, print them up and distribute them as a business. That was sometime in the early 70's. They started selling posters, then went to folding maps and placemat type things

Its something I took for granted but just about everywhere I gofor years I see them ---in visitors information places, hotels, restaurants.. every little town just about has them.

He has built a nice little empire off of his little stoned doodlings and is coast to coast and throughout Europe now--

If you ever see one of those things--Thats John

In the 1960's, there was a little bar on the East Side of Cleveland called Faragher's Back Room.

It was a little hole in the wall. Mostly it featured local talent but many times you could catch an up and coming act such as Bob Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary, Phil Ochs, Eric Anderson, etc. as they were passing through town. I don't think there was even a cover charge. Of course, they weren't "famous" yet at that time.

http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=FBR