1. 1. Which Browser Do You Have

• Firefox
    • Safari
    • Internet Explorer 8
    • Internet Explorer 7
    • Internet Explorer 6
    • Chrome
    • Opera

GT has been testing the latest version of the software that powers this forum. This software has been in testing for quite some time. Invision Power Boards has been my choice for the past 4 years or so. They are meticulous in their planning and this latest version adds many features that have been requested for a number of years.The layout has changed and the pages are more dynamic when you change the width of your brower. Better security against spammers that are registering on a daily basis. A better layout for your profile and your info. Private Messages have been upgraded to Private Topics so that if you and any number of people want to discuss things, you can do it in groups.The one downside is that it no longer supports Internet Explorer version 6 or older. So anyone using that version, needs to upgrade to 7 or 8. It is a free download from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...er/default.aspx You can use the latest Firefox (I like this better than IE) www.firefox.comApple makes a browser called Safari. Their latest version has a very cool feature called, cover flow. http://www.apple.com/safari/download/Opera is another option that you have. http://www.opera.com/Google has a browser called Chrome. This would be my last choice of browser, as it is still very young - development-wise. http://www.google.com/chrome/Check what you have currently, so that I can get an idea of what kind of time frame we should set.Thanks

Edited by pawtucket

Usually browsers have their version number listed when you click the menu item 'Help', then 'About ...'. A dialog box will then appear showing you the info you're looking for.

Usually browsers have their version number listed when you click the menu item 'Help', then 'About ...'. A dialog box will then appear showing you the info you're looking for.
I use Opera browser, I like it's features, not a huge number use it, other than that I use Firefox. 

So what version of Opera are you using?

At home I use Mozilla Firefox And since that is where I access Grease Spot that is what I put in the survey but I have explorer 7 on the home computer too, and wont do the upgrade to 8 anytime soon as I did it on my work computer and I don't really like it.

Internet Explorer 7, despite being inferior to Firefox 2, is stable.

IE 6 is really outmoded now.

IE 8 is really unstable.

I tried using it, and it froze my pc until the Data Execution Protection ended the program.

That's right- IE 8 did not play well with Windows.

So I uninstalled it, and reminded myself why being an early adapter of Microsoft products

is its own punishment.

I use the operating system, and that's mostly it.

And if they keep up what they're doing, I'll migrate to Ubuntu.

WW, I use Opera 9.64.

Ok, let's see.

IE 6 came out in August 27, 2001.

IE 7 came out in October 18, 2006.

Opera 8 came out in April 19, 2005.

Opera 9 came out in June 20, 2006.

Opera 9.5 came out in June 12, 2008.

If IE 7 is fine for the new forum (Microsoft design, released in 2006),

then Opera 9.0 should probably be fine for the new forum (non-Microsoft design, released in 2006),

and Opera 9.5 should be better than either for the new forum (non-Microsoft design, released in 2008.)

For Firefox, everything from 2.0 on (October 24, 2006) should be fine, too.

I didn't vote, because I have IE6, Firefox, and Chrome. I usually use IE6, though.

George

Are you sure it's IE6 you're still using, and not IE7?

IE 6 was before MS finally followed Mozilla's lead and added a pop-up blocker.

(That would mean you get lots of advertising windows popping up.)

Well, after recommendations from lots of people (including those on this site) I've started using Mozilla Firefox, and rather like it. In fact, I never use IE now although it still wants to update itself. Whenever it so attempts, it really upsets all the settings on my wireless connection. Just not worth the effort.

How do I set the browser to block pop-ups? Or maybe it is properly set - it's the annoying adverts on my Hotmail account that I'd like to get rid of. Maybe WW could PM me, so as not to derail this thread. Thanks.

Well, after recommendations from lots of people (including those on this site) I've started using Mozilla Firefox, and rather like it. In fact, I never use IE now although it still wants to update itself. Whenever it so attempts, it really upsets all the settings on my wireless connection. Just not worth the effort.

How do I set the browser to block pop-ups? Or maybe it is properly set - it's the annoying adverts on my Hotmail account that I'd like to get rid of. Maybe WW could PM me, so as not to derail this thread. Thanks.

Easy Sneezy

in your firefox browser go to Tools then on the drop down... select Options,,, in options at the top select Content... and at the top of that box select Block Pop up windows... then select exceptions and verify that only the sites that you are okay with using pop ups are in the list if you don't recognize the site delete it from your exceptions list.

and Waa Laaa you are good to go!

Edited by leafytwiglet

's all ready so set.

Maybe it's not possible to stop the adverts on Hotmail. After all that's what keeps it free of charge.

's all ready so set.

Maybe it's not possible to stop the adverts on Hotmail. After all that's what keeps it free of charge.

Oh Hot mail ... no I think you have to live with them but try taking it out of your exceptions list and don't forget to clear your temp files and your cookies. that usually keeps it nice for a while.

Are you sure it's IE6 you're still using, and not IE7?

IE 6 was before MS finally followed Mozilla's lead and added a pop-up blocker.

(That would mean you get lots of advertising windows popping up.)

When I click on Help and About Internet Explorer, it says Version 6.0.2000.5512.blah blah blah (Update version SP3.) I don't have a problem with pop-ups, but that might be due to my anti-virus stuff.

George

nd if they keep up what they're doing, I'll migrate to Ubuntu.

and when you do, tell the natives I said "hello"..

:biglaugh:

sowie..

well, I'm pretty happy with Fedora. Seems very stable.. and it runs Firefox quite nicely. No unexpected closing of windows, and such.. the microsoft machines in my house are basket cases..

Edited by Ham

When I click on Help and About Internet Explorer, it says Version 6.0.2000.5512.blah blah blah (Update version SP3.) I don't have a problem with pop-ups, but that might be due to my anti-virus stuff.

George

Ever consider switching up to IE7 if you're going to use IE? It really is a lot better than IE6.

Some websites will actually tell you something like "you're using IE6 and this website won't look right to you."

(snip)

well, I'm pretty happy with Fedora. Seems very stable.. and it runs Firefox quite nicely. No unexpected closing of windows, and such.. the microsoft machines in my house are basket cases..

Not all of us are ready to switch to more stable Linux distros from Windows XP 3.

But Vista had me serious enough about it to get an Ubuntu disk.

I'm not ready to try to convert various XP programs I like to try to run in WINE.

I think a lot of the casual users, especially at the GSC, might benefit more from Ubuntu or

Red Hat or something, because they're using only programs that have Linux versions

(firewall, antivirus, emailer, browser, IM, graphics editor, office suite.)

If you use VMware or Virtuallon you can have either OS (Linux/Windoze) host a full implementation of the other. Just a virtual machine with shared hardware access.

That is you can run windows and Linux simultaneously and hot key back and forth.

I got sick of my XP machine. I put Ubuntu on and added a Terabyte drive, moved my iTunes library over there. I love it. I am dabbling in MySql to take the place of Microsoft Access.

What's not to love, there is a Linux app for just about everything in the Windows world. My computer is much faster than when I had XP on it. There really isn't a downside to the whole thing. It plays well with Windows and Macs on a network. I've installed probably 30 different apps and not once did I have to reboot!!!!!

Ubuntu is something real? I thought Ham was joking and it went along with pseudo-SIT. :biglaugh:

(snip)

So I uninstalled it, and reminded myself why being an early adapter of Microsoft products

is its own punishment.

I use the operating system, and that's mostly it.

And if they keep up what they're doing, I'll migrate to Ubuntu.

and when you do, tell the natives I said "hello"..

:biglaugh:

sowie..

(snip)

Not all of us are ready to switch to more stable Linux distros from Windows XP 3.

But Vista had me serious enough about it to get an Ubuntu disk.

I'm not ready to try to convert various XP programs I like to try to run in WINE.

I think a lot of the casual users, especially at the GSC, might benefit more from Ubuntu or

Red Hat or something, because they're using only programs that have Linux versions

(firewall, antivirus, emailer, browser, IM, graphics editor, office suite.)

If you use VMware or Virtuallon you can have either OS (Linux/Windoze) host a full implementation of the other. Just a virtual machine with shared hardware access.

That is you can run windows and Linux simultaneously and hot key back and forth.

I got sick of my XP machine. I put Ubuntu on and added a Terabyte drive, moved my iTunes library over there. I love it. I am dabbling in MySql to take the place of Microsoft Access.

What's not to love, there is a Linux app for just about everything in the Windows world. My computer is much faster than when I had XP on it. There really isn't a downside to the whole thing. It plays well with Windows and Macs on a network. I've installed probably 30 different apps and not once did I have to reboot!!!!!

Ubuntu is something real? I thought Ham was joking and it went along with pseudo-SIT. :biglaugh: