GreaseSpot Cafe

Post Upgrade Issues

GT

I wonder how useful the "Reputation" button will be. Excathedra seems to have "damaged" her reputation quite a lot, which another poster has decided to put right for her.

Ultimately, posters will get a feel for how worthwhile/helpful/destructive/distracting other posters are, independent of any "marks" given.

Could it be that this Reputation button might be used to abuse? By marking a poster down if you don't like their PoV or what they are saying, and thus damaging their reputation? Might be more subtle way than badmouthing them in their posts. Untraceable, too.

• Upvote 1

Another thing that might be helpful: would it be possible for the person who started a Topic to close/lock it? Maybe it was a question that was asked, to which a sufficient answer was received; or a topic that started well but seems to have degraded into something quite silly or off topic. I know that these can get sent off to Soap Opera, but perhaps they could be stopped before they get so debased?

Excie - here is what you should see on the lower right hand corner of your post after you've posted and before the time runs out to edit:

post-1587-124656644018_thumb.jpg

Edited by doojable

I think that the person that starts a thread should watch it and get it back on topic. Not many do that. And the moderators certainly don't have the time or inclination to check threads to see if they are staying on topic.

I'm not sure about the thread starter closing the thread. Could be a problem. We'll think about it. My main concern is that someone with something to add wouldn't get a chance to do so.

i think the problem here for me is that i have this insanely long thing of red and green circles you know plus and minus

dooj, i know i can't edit other people's posts ha i'm lucky if i can edit my own

i have no idea what you're talking about regarding you have so much time to edit

also, i went horizontally and nothing changed

--

as far as the reputation thing, i think it sucks, but that's me

all this new fancy stuff when i liked it before, but i know, i'm old and cranky

• Upvote 1

oh thank you, poster, who told me internet explorer 6 might be my problem

now, i need to know how to upgrade

Ex, just google "internet explorer 7.0" "free downloads".

You'll probaby get a number of sites you can download from. Just make sure you don't get 8.0 (still too many bugs).

George

I think that the person that starts a thread should watch it and get it back on topic. Not many do that. And the moderators certainly don't have the time or inclination to check threads to see if they are staying on topic.

I'm not sure about the thread starter closing the thread. Could be a problem. We'll think about it. My main concern is that someone with something to add wouldn't get a chance to do so.

Paw, sometimes it can get a bit difficult to keep a thread on topic. You've seen the posts where the starter has tried to bring it back, and just one or two have tried to carry on bickering.

Ability to lock might also be useful if despite a call back to original topic, a thread veers off on something worthwhile and then a new thread could be started and the old one locked. Especially with the multi-quote thing, if previous posts can be copied onto a new thread.

But some threads really do just go on and on and on (yawn) way from the original matter about nothing in particular or denying another poster's PoV/experience. Or they end up as a mud fight. Then the mods shift them to Soap Opera.

Just a thought.

Paw, sometimes it can get a bit difficult to keep a thread on topic. You've seen the posts where the starter has tried to bring it back, and just one or two have tried to carry on bickering.

Ability to lock might also be useful if despite a call back to original topic, a thread veers off on something worthwhile and then a new thread could be started and the old one locked. Especially with the multi-quote thing, if previous posts can be copied onto a new thread.

But some threads really do just go on and on and on (yawn) way from the original matter about nothing in particular or denying another poster's PoV/experience. Or they end up as a mud fight. Then the mods shift them to Soap Opera.

Just a thought.

Then I would have to answer to ICACTOGS (International Committee Against Closing Threads On GreaseSpot)

• Upvote 1

Then I would have to answer to ICACTOGS (International Committee Against Closing Threads On GreaseSpot)

I don't think it's worth the effort of adding thread closure as a user option. Threads here tend to close themselves down soon after they go too far down bunny trails. There is a repetitive evolution (or perhaps life cycle) of threads here...New Topic->Interesting responses both pro and con->divergence to why the devil controls Pawtucket->Argument against the Pawtucket claim->Vague but earnest attempt at restoring thread back to topic->A few more (but getting tired) on topic replies->More divergence mixed with some animosity (pseudo documentation provided that Pawtucket is a seed boy)->Sometimes a good fight ensues (always entertaining)->Thread is ignored by all but the feuding parties->Thread drops off the list.

Since this life cycle (or close variants of it) is/are so common - heck why not just let things keep riding as is? No sense in asking for a feature that really isn't needed.

Now if Paw wants to add a feature where I click on the blue button and a good ale is immediately delivered to my desk, opened and poured into a good pint glass...well that would be a worthwhile addition.

The other meaning of ICACTOGS is I Certainly Agree Cult Thinking Off of Grease Spot

Edited by RumRunner

I tried it and it works fine. What was the error message? Did you try a different browser or clear your cache?

I don't know if this is a "post-upgrade" issue, per se; but when I try to open the "Songs remembered from just one line" thread in the Reading Room, I get a big error message (and it won't open). I don't seem to have this problem with any other thread.

George

• Upvote 1

Exsie, GT said at the beginning of the thread that the chat room is on his "to do" list.

As for rating posts, I think it's a bad idea. I could see this turning into a popularity (or unpopularity) contest. I don't like it.

As Ex said, "I liked your post" works. It's always worked in the past, as has, "I disagree with your post."

I also don't like the idea of closing threads that go off topic.

The posts in the forums are writtern conversations. Conversations here evolve and change, just like face-to-face conversations. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes, but at other times conversations that veer off the track are more useful or interesting than the original topics.

I tried it and it works fine. What was the error message? Did you try a different browser or clear your cache?

The error message was basically, "Microsoft Internet Explorer cannot open page blahblahblah. Operation aborted." I can open the first page of the thread, just not the last.

George

As for rating posts, I think it's a bad idea. I could see this turning into a popularity (or unpopularity) contest. I don't like it.

As Ex said, "I liked your post" works. It's always worked in the past, as has, "I disagree with your post."

See below

I also don't like the idea of closing threads that go off topic.

Agreed

The posts in the forums are writtern conversations. Conversations here evolve and change, just like face-to-face conversations. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes, but at other times conversations that veer off the track are more useful or interesting than the original topics.

See below

I guess I have my usual DGAS attitude about the reputation buttons. I certainly can see your point about it becoming a popularity contest - in fact when I first saw it I thought of the inanity of running for HS student council presidency....

However - let's take a simple case - newbie comes along - let's use Brainfixed as a recent example. Showed up with a lot of questions - many of which had already been addressed - but hey she doesn't score low for not reading every single bit of the last ten years of threads....Now plenty of respondents disagreed with her but I don't think it turned into a popularity contest, nor do I think it would now. As abrasive as this place can be I don't think people would dis her reputation for being a newbie and asking already answered questions.

Now the simpler case. I have no doubt about how abrasive I can be. Plenty of people have openly disagreed with me - sometimes vehemently. I didn't end up with a reputation of -666 or some such however. Seems like we can disagree vehemently and not quite make it a popularity contest. Why is this case simpler? Because if I did end up with a -666 or something I'd a) not really care or b) consider it a compliment.

All that said - I don't see where the reputation buttons really add anything to the functionality of GSC - but I don't think they are a show stopper if they stay.

The major problem I see is for Pawtucket. He has mentioned on more than one occasion that it can be a real chore to handle the steady stream of complaints about so-and-so, and thus-and-such etc. This just gives certain posters one more way to hassle Paw...PAW!!! PAW!!!! I had a reputation of +256 until the bastage Groucho came along and systematically changed me to -666. I know it was true because I was at +256 until Groucho got on line then 5 minutes later I was -666. Come on PAW - do something about it. This is cyber bullying (BTW now a crime in CA). Then Paw has to run this snot down like trying to sort out a fight between two 4-yr olds...PAW!!! PAW!!! Groucho took my truck away. No I didn't! RumRunner gave it to me.

If I were Paw I'd ditch the reputation buttons just to decrease an unneccessary work load once the whining starts.

Actually Linda - do me a favor? If you come across any mods today - ask them to make my reputation -667 for me?!?! Thanks. Then I can change my status to something like -667 - two-thirds of negative one thousand or a count more evil than the beast - you decide....

I guess I have my usual DGAS attitude about the reputation buttons. I certainly can see your point about it becoming a popularity contest - in fact when I first saw it I thought of the inanity of running for HS student council presidency....

RumRunner,

I was reading an old thread that had a certain well known poster on it. . . . as one might I glanced at his profile. . . . he has not posted lately. . . . but, someone had gone back to 100 of his old posts to mark them negative and give him a bad reputation.

http://www.greasespo...1237-whitedove/

That is serious dedication to the plus or minus button. A good illustration of what can happen. I might just agree with the rep. . . but gee 100 minuses for someone not even around?

Oooops there goes mine!! :(

Edited by geisha779

Rumrunner,

I was reading an old thread that had a certain well known poster on it. . . . as one might I glanced at his profile. . . . he has not posted lately. . . . but, someone had gone back to 100 of his old posts to mark them negative and give him a bad reputation.

http://www.greasespo...1237-whitedove/

That is serious dedication to the plus or minus button. A good illustration of what can happen. I might just agree with the rep. . . but gee 100 minuses for someone not even around?

Oooops there goes mine!! :(

Heh - I was not implying that we are a pristine crowd here Geisha - or that what you described wouldn't happen to someone. I just think it may result in more work for PAW than it is worth. Well hold on a second - I am pristine - as for the rest of you I'll pray.

Now Geisha - you know (being a devout Christian) that once the mods change my reputation to -667 you can no longer converse with me since I will be worse than the beast. Only infidels will be allowed to speak with me without fear of a stream of fire pouring out of the heavens onto them.

Of course given your post it would seem that WD has the lead on me. And it's WhiteDove in the lead with RumRunner coming up fast on the outside of the backstretch. It's WhiteDove and RumRunner neck and neck, RumRunner pushing hard for the lead. WhiteDove holding onto the first place of evil - oh my what a race ladies and gentlemen. And RumRunner takes the lead for evil!!! It's RumRunner in first. It's WhiteDove in second with Groucho and George Aar coming up a distant third and fourth lagging by 8 or so lengths. It's RumRunner coming around the top of the last curve and into the final straightaway. It's RumRunner, WhiteDove, Groucho and Aar. Here comes the tape!!! And....It's RumRunner with the first place for evil, WhiteDove in second. Groucho and Aar still neck and neck - and IT'S AAR BY A SIN!!! Aar takes third with only a "little X"! Ladies and gentlemen the next race starts in 15 minutes - place your bets now...

Edited by RumRunner

. . . . .

Now Geisha - you know (being a devout Christian) that once the mods change my reputation to -667 you can no longer converse with me since I will be worse than the beast. Only infidels will be allowed to speak with me without fear of a stream of fire pouring out of the heavens onto them.

I think I will take my chances. . . :)

Hey, haven't I converted you yet? Better put that on my "to do" list. . .

I think I will take my chances. . . :)

Hey, haven't I converted you yet? Better put that on my "to do" list. . .

Heh heh heh - last I checked - which was a LONG time ago - I can't be converted. I was listed as a seed boy when I walked out of the first idiot clergy meeting back in '86 or '87 and never looked back. I never did figure out the whole born again of incorruptible seed thing then later being a serpent seed boy...then again - who cares?!?!?!

Maybe we can say intercessory prayers for those with a negative reputation. You know, so they don't end up in cyber-Hell.

Then again, who in the world has the time, the patience and the pettiness to look up 100 old posts?

I guess one should never underestimate an ex-cult member when it comes to being petty... huh?

Edited by doojable

Maybe we can say intercessory prayers for those with a negative reputation. You know, so they don't end up in cyber-Hell.

Uhhhh - you ever stop to think that some of us might like cyber-Hell!?!?!?

Uhhhh - you ever stop to think that some of us might like cyber-Hell!?!?!?

Yea well - then you don't have to buy charcoal or propane to BBQ.

Edited by doojable