GreaseSpot Cafe

Post Upgrade Issues

GT

Yea well - then you don't have to buy charcoal of propane to BBQ.

That's rigggghhhhhhhtttttt! We would just throw more blue books and CSBPs on the fire for BBQ.

• Upvote 1

Heh heh heh - last I checked - which was a LONG time ago - I can't be converted. I was listed as a seed boy when I walked out of the first idiot clergy meeting back in '86 or '87 and never looked back. I never did figure out the whole born again of incorruptible seed thing then later being a serpent seed boy...then again - who cares?!?!?!

Aaaaaah RumRunner??. . . . I think being dissed by that cabal just might qualify you for sainthood.

Okay back to topic. . . I switched to Firefox and all is now well.

Edited by geisha779

The error message was basically, "Microsoft Internet Explorer cannot open page blahblahblah. Operation aborted." I can open the first page of the thread, just not the last.

George

Istill can't open the last page of the "Songs Remembered from..." thread. It's odd, because I don't have the problem anywhere else on the board (including the first page of the thread).

George

How do you access your PMs? I know when you first get a message there's a number or something by your name, and you can respond to the message. But if you don't answer right away and want to come back to reply, where do you find them?

How do you access your PMs? I know when you first get a message there's a number or something by your name, and you can respond to the message. But if you don't answer right away and want to come back to reply, where do you find them?

I have no probs using the PM menu just like the last version (well close enough anyway). Go to your name (upper right) pull down menu to "messenger" - go from there like always.

For the geeks:

Windoze XP, Home Ed. Ver 2002, SP3

Firefox 3.0.11

Linda

In the upper right hand corner, you will see your screen name.

Click on that and select the option, "Messenger"

I don't know if that's the official method, but it seems to work for me.

Linda what they said.

Shellon, Right now those sayings are reverting to standard ones based on number of posts. When GT gets back from the advanced class special at HQS, he'll look at it.

George, I have tried to recreate your scenario on three different computers. If you are geek-inclined, go to the start button and then click on RUN. Type in CMD. You will get a command line prompt. type in the following "ipconfig /flushdns" That will clear any DNS junk and then try to get to that page. Make sure your browsers are all closed at the time.

Chat may be in the forseeable future, although I am told that not many are using it. My main reason for it was so that new people could float in and "talk" to someone. But if no one is there, that won't be helpful.

I know there are times when chat will sit idle for days.

But, it's kinda like that band-aid that sits in a dark drawer until, suddenly, you mistake your pinky finger for a carrot. Then, it's very much appreciated . I'm casting my vote for "keep it" if it is feasible to do so.

I already tried clicking on my name, on the little down arrow in the box my name is in, and even the "picture" next to my name. I get no drop-down menu.

Also, I'm having the same problem George St. George is having with not being able to access the last post in a thread. I was able to access the last post in the thread he's talking about, but not in a couple others. The thread seems to stop loading sometimes when there's a YouTube video embedded in a post that comes before the last one.

Linda,

I had all these same problems. I couldn't load the "song" thread. . . no drop down menu. . . but, once I switched to Firefox it all went away. It is only with IE I have these issues. What browser are you using? Try Firefox. . . . fixed everything for me.

Linda and George. At the bottom of the page, any page, there is a drop down menu on the left that says "IP Board" Click on that and select "lo fi" then see if you can access the pages.

Linda, as Geisha asked, which browser are you using? Internet Explorer and Microsoft in general, don't adher to "Web standards" Although they claim to do so with IE 8. So I would try either upgrading to 8 or install Firefox. I've tried replicating the problem on four different machines and can't seem to get the scenario to happen. Try clicking this link to get into your mailbox

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.php?app=members&module=messaging

Linda and George. At the bottom of the page, any page, there is a drop down menu on the left that says "IP Board" Click on that and select "lo fi" then see if you can access the pages.

Linda, as Geisha asked, which browser are you using? Internet Explorer and Microsoft in general, don't adher to "Web standards" Although they claim to do so with IE 8. So I would try either upgrading to 8 or install Firefox. I've tried replicating the problem on four different machines and can't seem to get the scenario to happen. Try clicking this link to get into your mailbox

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.php?app=members&module=messaging

If you're using Windows XP, I'd recommend Firefox instead of Internet Explorer 8.

I tried Internet Explorer 8, and it didn't seem to work with my XP.

It froze up until Data Execution Prevention closed it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

I know there are times when chat will sit idle for days.

But, it's kinda like that band-aid that sits in a dark drawer until, suddenly, you mistake your pinky finger for a carrot. Then, it's very much appreciated . I'm casting my vote for "keep it" if it is feasible to do so.

I don't use it daily, but I HAVE been known to drop in from time to time, and have chatted with

some of our rarer posters who checked in at the time also.

If there's an option for chat that doesn't cause hardship, I'd recommend we use it.

(There's always IRC, and someone mentioned something else, I think.)

I already tried clicking on my name, on the little down arrow in the box my name is in, and even the "picture" next to my name. I get no drop-down menu.

Also, I'm having the same problem George St. George is having with not being able to access the last post in a thread. I was able to access the last post in the thread he's talking about, but not in a couple others. The thread seems to stop loading sometimes when there's a YouTube video embedded in a post that comes before the last one.

I've found that simply adding the "Flashblock" AddOn to my Firefox sped up page loading a lot.

That substituted a clickable button for the actual video. Then I can click it if I want the video.

Then again, NoScript will also speed it up for the same reason.

For those of you using Firefox, that's a cinch. For those of you using something else,

I recommend using Firefox! :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paw, I do have IE8, which I've found to be a lot more buggy than 7 was. I guess I'll have to DL firefox. My sister's been bugging me for ages to get it. I resist change when it comes to computers. :rolleyes:

BTW, when a page doesn't fully load, neither does that window with the "IP Board" in it.

I'll try your link to my PMs later.

• 1 month later...

There will be some form of chat. We are setting up an IRC server and more than likely that will be what we use. Too many things to do and not enough time to do them.

Paw, I am not receiving email notices on topics I either have started or replied to posts. Can't find email notification button.

Paw, I am not receiving email notices on topics I either have started or replied to posts. Can't find email notification button.

click on "Watch this topic" on the line right above the topic title, towards the right.