GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI Writing Styles

Tzaia

Like Oakspear, I enjoy using just the right word. I temper it with Steinbeck's advice that "you can insult a man pretty bad by using a word that he doesn't understand."

A continual frustration that I have had with my salesmen is their inability to use appropriate adjectives when describing our products. They seem to think that there is this big bag of adjectives and you can just pull one out at random when writing a brochure or ad copy. I've explained to them carefully that each word means something, either a little different or a lot different, but it does no good. These are college-educated individuals, mind you. In the future, I'm going to add more weight to recreational reading when I hire someone that will have to do writing.

Actually no discussion of TWI writing styles would be complete without covering the latest and greatest from the podunkville farm and the editing preferences of her Rosieness. The best way to describe this style would be the use of adjectives. So, here we go:

bland

vanilla

lifeless

bologna on white bread

3rd grade reading level

b-o-r-i-n-g

void of personality

overedited

dull

snoozefest

Even Strunk & White would fall asleep reading it

And even more amazing is they are able to reproduce it in live teachings. Yes, TWI is truly medication for the insomniac.

• Like 1

that's why I couldn't read that awful thing he supposedly wrote. that book. R&E or whatever it was. I feel really sorry for anyone who had to ghost-write to his standards.

I don't know if it changed after I left Way Pub in '86, but when I was there, no one ghost-wrote for LCM, unfortunately. He did it all by himself. We editors used to use a phrase to describe his writing that's similar to the subtitle for this thread: "Why use one word when ten will do?" Editing his writing was like trying to untangle a bag of yarn that a litter of kittens had been playing with--in the mud. And to change anything, we had to get the approval of his sec'y, who sometimes guarded his words as if they were inspired by God Himself.

There were were several good writers on Way Mag when I started there. Of course that was when David C was editor, before Rosalie expanded her empire to include Way Pub. Under her rule, not many of them stuck around. Many of the other authors of magazine articles, however, weren't writers at all. They were mostly twi "leaders" who had something they wanted to write about or who were asked to write an article.

I haven't seen a Way mag in a couple decades, but I have no doubt that under RFR, the writing became more and more as Chockfull describes it.

We editors used to use a phrase to describe his writing that's similar to the subtitle for this thread: "Why use one word when ten will do?"

"Why, discerning the reason, the meaning of a thing, utilize to the point of senses-world manifestation in that others can discern it, the singular, unitary, verbiage, when (which places it distinctly in time) the number corresponding to the completion of a cycle suffices in it's entirety?" :doh:

They seem to fail the cardinal rule of writing: Eschew obfuscation.

George

:offtopic:

Come now - you've never heard of the IOCCC? (International Obfuscated C Code Contest)

Here is the winning entry from David Korn - 1987 - still the all time winner.

If you can solve this WITHOUT using a compiler you're probably a pretty good bit splitting with C. Don't cheat now...One hint - compile it yourself token by token and it won't be so obfuscated.

main() { printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}

So, innies, may we have a sample from the latest Way Mag of an article by the lovely Rosalie herself? Can you scan something and post it? (Or if you don't want to post it yourself, scan it and email to me and I will post it.)

mmm... so many Waymag articles weren't really inspirational when I left...they sound even worse now.

So, innies, may we have a sample from the latest Way Mag of an article by the lovely Rosalie herself? Can you scan something and post it? (Or if you don't want to post it yourself, scan it and email to me and I will post it.)

mmm... so many Waymag articles weren't really inspirational when I left...they sound even worse now.

Does Rosalie actually write anything for the Way Mag? As the prez, I'd think she'd have to, but she's more of a behind-the-scenes kinda gal, pulling the strings from backstage.

Twinky, it would be interesting to see an example of what twi is putting out in print these days, but keep in mind that we can't post whole articles on here without violating copyright laws. Someone could post a paragraph or two, though, if the source were cited.

The collaterals were exciting to read - a true adventure in biblical research...

The Way Mags are spell-bindings - the sorta of thing that would make Leonard Maltin cream his elastifit old man pants over if they were ever put into a movie...

And those little $1.00 bookettes that you could get at The Way Bookstore - literary gems...

...all of them...

in comparison to that Rise & Expansion book by LCM....

• 13 years later...

Interesting old thread this.  I was going to include an extract from their digital WayRag but it's not set up well and is in any event so difficult to read.

At random I chose an article, and found a paragraph. 

So: they say what they want to say, reasonably intelligibly.  Then say it again.  Then a Biblical quotation.  Then, take an English word (an ordinary, nothing-special type of word, from that Bible quote,  and say "this is the Greek word xxxx" and expound what they claim is the meaning, both then and now. Then virtually re-write the opening sentence of the paragraph.  Write four pages like this. Hey presto!  End of article. 

Whatever they said, it could have been said more clearly in half a page.  Not four pages.

• Upvote 1

When I did my research paper, the first draft was, IMHO, pretty good.  It contained no Wayspeak because it covered areas that TWI rarely ventured into.  Stylistically, my paragraphs had a bit of an opening sentence, Bible verse (usually from the OT), and a light sort of exposition.  I was using the verses, however, as building blocks to my conclusion, not in a show-off way but to present my case.

First draft got sent back.  I hadn't included enough references to PFAL materials.  (That's because there wasn't anything relevant in PFAL, dummy!)

Second draft, well, finished version: I had had to rewrite to include various references to PFAL material that wasn't really relevant and added nothing.  This version was well received, surprisingly widely read among the head honchos, got quite a few compliments from unexpected sources.

I found a copy of my (haha) research paper a few months ago.  I read it.  It is, actually, good stuff.  Huh, the additional bits that I had to stick in - stick out like sore thumbs. Made me wince.  But: finished version matched their "style guide" and so was deemed acceptable.

Looking at it again, I'd do it a little differently now, not the research work (which was so entirely my own work) but the way it was put together.  And it could well be much longer because it was a fascinating subject.  Certainly, there wouldn't be any Way jargon or turn of phrase.

Oh, what was it, you ask?  "Judicial Answers of Truth in the Ministry of Jesus Christ."  [I remembered the title as being a little different, but I'm looking at the document itself.)  Good ole Craig himself gave me that topic. 

Every answer, every OT quote, that Jesus gave was checked back in its OT context, reading back and forth over all related chapters, and then reading other related areas, Bible books, etc.  Started as a word study of the word Apokrinomai [remember those word studies?] and exploded out from there.  So you can see: mostly OT stuff - and a good look at the gospels.  So you can see why there was so little quotable material in PFAL.  After all, it wasn't necessary to study the Man himself, nor his lifestyle, his application of scriptures to living in his everyday world, his understanding, exposition and demonstration of the scriptures/ Torah/ Pentateuch/ temple teaching available to him.  We're so very smart now that the gospels are irrelevant, so don't need to be covered in PFAL, just given a passing glance from time to time. The reality of "It is Written" applies to PFAL materials only.

Rant over!

Oh, and yeah.  As a retired lawyer, I was used to considering carefully, looking at lots of relevant material, and producing an opinion, letter, document that noted all salient points and led to a clear conclusion.  I knew how to write: for a court, for a lay client, for other professionals. And formally, for my dissertation - my degree.  Not to mention, informally just for pleasure.  But writing Way-style....errggggghhhhhh.  Children's stories are better written.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Twinky said:

But writing Way-style....errggggghhhhhh.  Children's stories are better written.

Way styles is a joke, and not the beauty salon either as thats what they used to call that endeavor as well. They used to have and likely still have a style sheet kicking around that is an absolute joke. The style sheet just enforces the way international's brand of religiosiosity with useless rules such as how and when to use holy spirit vs Holy Spirit (the gift given by God vs God himself according to them) and other such trivialities that enforce way speak in writing basically. Complete waste of time really, but hey, the way international is just that.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, Twinky said:

Interesting old thread this.  I was going to include an extract from their digital WayRag but it's not set up well and is in any event so difficult to read.

At random I chose an article, and found a paragraph. 

So: they say what they want to say, reasonably intelligibly.  Then say it again.  Then a Biblical quotation.  Then, take an English word (an ordinary, nothing-special type of word, from that Bible quote,  and say "this is the Greek word xxxx" and expound what they claim is the meaning, both then and now. Then virtually re-write the opening sentence of the paragraph.  Write four pages like this. Hey presto!  End of article. 

Whatever they said, it could have been said more clearly in half a page.  Not four pages.

Yes the old “tell them what you’re gonna teach them, teach them, tell them what you taught them” paradigm is alive and thriving in Wayworld.

I know AI written articles come off a little bland but the Way can make robots seem exciting lol.  Sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:43 PM, Twinky said:

finished version matched their "style guide" and so was deemed acceptable.

I experienced the same thing!

But instead of my education hindering progress in TWI, it was the other way round. I, an all-A’s student, started receiving C’s (and lower) in my wring class. I failed assignments! Unbelievable. 

The difference? Before then, I guess most writing assignments were just to check that we knew the mechanics of writing, spelling, grammar, and what have you.

Now suddenly our teacher expected us to think clearly, make a point, and give evidence for it. You know, like a thesis statement. And an argument, and one not based on fallacious reasoning.  

The most hilarious part (in hindsight) is that my lowest marks were when she accused me of plagiarism! I was so confused. I really believed I was citing sources properly by including the name of a book at the end of the paper.

Thankfully this lasted only a couple years before the lessons really took. Then I had to learn to split my thinking between school mode and TWI mode, so I could function in both contexts. 

1 hour ago, Logicisgreatstuff said:

But instead of my education hindering progress in TWI, it was the other way round. I, an all-A’s student, started receiving C’s (and lower) in my wring class. I failed assignments! Unbelievable. 

We really need a "ha ha" icon here, not just an arrow or a heart.

Completely sympathise with you, Logic, in your confused writing sessions.  Living in the real world and also in TWI-world is great for learning to develop a split personality.

• Like 1

And welcome, Logicisgreatstuff.  Sounds like you're a second generation TWI kid.  Tell us a bit about yourself and your time both in and out of TWI in the Open>New Members spot.

Welcome, Logic. Excellent first post connecting the dots. 

What was your parents’ response to these low grades in writing? Just curious. I suspect their response is the same as any fully conditioned follower.

3 hours ago, Logicisgreatstuff said:

Now suddenly our teacher expected us to think clearly, make a point, and give evidence for it. You know, like a thesis statement. And an argument, and one not based on fallacious reasoning.  

I praised my seventh grader earlier this year for his writing skills. He confessed he hated writing. I explained that good writing compels us to think clearly, to organize our thoughts, as you described above.

His grades aren’t very good for several reasons. One is the contempt for education spewed by his mother and her vpw-worshipping family.

Your story is encouraging. Thank you.

——-

Does anyone have a digital copy of this “style guide” they could send me?

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

What was your parents’ response to these low grades in writing?

I wondered that, too.