GreaseSpot Cafe

Michael Jackson a true American Hero?

Ed Freeman

You're a 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley ,

11-14-1965, LZ X-ray , Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it...

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board..

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times...... And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, ID .....

May God rest his soul...

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we sure were told a whole bunch about some Hip-Hop Coward beating his "girlfriend"

Medal of Honor Winner

Ed Freeman!

Shame on the American Media

Shame on the American Media is right!!!

My grandfather gave his life for freedom; my father and brothers served proudly for this country. I am so tired of the media turning singers, dancers, and actors into saviours.

It's so silly---! The true heroes of this world never broadcast what they've done...they just do...

Why is it that the media gets slammed for following after Micheal Jackson's every point surrounding his death, particularly since that's what the vast majority of the American populace wants, _including_ those who consider themselves patriotic wants? ... How about the death of celebrities like Farrah Fawcett? That got _nowhere_ the amount of coverage that Jacko got.

Oh by the way, what about the hundreds of other soldiers who died for their country who's deaths and burial and honor _were_ covered by that dasterdly, UnAmurican, and leftist media, ..... hhmmmm? :evildenk:

Why can't many people, when they are being s-o-o-o patriotic, avoid shutting their brains OFF while they are 'saluting the flag'?

<_<

Garth, is correct. The tv gives folks what they salivate for. Just look at all the "reality" shows. It astounds me how many folks are fluent about what is going on with each and every character in these shows. Yet, they know nil (and want to stay that way) about the history of our country, or any other country for that matter, or what is going on now. Geez, just look at the majority of the magazines in the grocery store check out isle.

Garth, not quite sure what you are asking in your last question...:)

particularly since that's what the vast majority of the American populace wants,

Do you really think so?

or do you think that that is what they want us to think?

I dont know a whole ton of people but Ive yet to run into anyone anywhere, let alone a "vast majority" who wants to see this media blitz continue...

yeah yeah he did alot for the african americam community and had unique skills and is an easy story for the media to suck people in because he was weird--I get it already..build a shrine or something --but I really dont know anybody who actually cares all that much--I think its just an easy story for the media to turn their brains off for awhile

What am I saying by this: "Why can't many people, when they are being s-o-o-o patriotic, avoid shutting their brains OFF while they are 'saluting the flag'?"

Ie., why can't people leave their brains ON (ie., thinking for themselves) when patriotic sounding propaganda gets trumpeted? For example, in this thread, it was illustrated (and _presumed_) that the media spends as little coverage as possible on the folks that fight, and die, for our country. I mean, consider this line:

("I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we sure were told a whole bunch about some Hip-Hop Coward beating his "girlfriend"

Medal of Honor Winner

Ed Freeman!

Shame on the American Media

Gives that kind of impression, doesn't it? Shame on the media that doesn't (supposedly) seem to give a rats azz about our fighting men and women. And how many times has that crap been thrown at the media, and people automatically swallow it up, and without one ounce of independent thought, hmmmm? ... That is but one example what I mean by "Why can't many people, when they are being s-o-o-o patriotic, avoid shutting their brains OFF while they are 'saluting the flag'?"

I'll tell you this. I believe that if we didn't have the kind of media that we do, even as flawed as it plainly is, ..... why, we might instead have an actual State run media system (ohh, like Tass under the old Soviet Union). Now THERE was a media type to loathe, I tell you.

Do you really think so?

or do you think that that is what they want us to think?

I dont know a whole ton of people but Ive yet to run into anyone anywhere, let alone a "vast majority" who wants to see this media blitz continue...

Now more and more people getting tired of all this coverage (I know I am, and that was ever since it started, cuz I knew that this was where it all would lead). But since the first moments of the news of MJ's heart attack started getting out, a virtual plague of people was homing in to get detail after sordid detail of what was happening, whether he was dead, in a coma, or even if it was just a Grande Stunt to top all stunts. I mean, when you have all the flow of information nearly bringing the internet to its knees, ... you just _cannot_ simply point your fingers at ((reintroduce Darth Vader Music)) The Media. They don't have the servers enough to generate that size of an effect on the internet. ... Nope, _that_ was mainly due to the "OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! ... Is he gonna DIE?!?!?" public. <_<

Kinda extreme.

You can get caught up in Neverland coverage while back in "the real world" life goes on(who can't avoid shutting off there brain?)

Well if your a "Way" follower they might have an OFF switch but since I left "twi" my brain stays ON.