GreaseSpot Cafe

New here just wanna say hi!

Karate = too many bad movies, too many self-indulgent braggart students

TaeKwonDo = for serious students.

Dooj, what you said was fine... now THIS is a demonstration of ignorance of the art, no doubt an attempt at being deliberately offensive. I don`t know any self respecting martial arts student from either style that would make that claim.

Linda, Thank you.

Edited by rascal

You pray!! OMG - you're doomed!!!

I have been known to on occasion, but I am not so sure it counts anymore. . . . you see, I actually believe Jesus Christ IS God! :)

. . . . . . I meant what I said. I am sorry that I ever tried to say anything.

Rascal, please don't be sorry. . . I really enjoy what you say and am glad you have such a compassionate voice. It is always a pleasure. . . even when we disagree. :) I like that you mean what you say!!

• Upvote 2

What's real despicable to me.. they have done this to a feeble minded kid. No, not the guy posting here.. but v2p2. He is barely out of college.. bachelor's degree. Why isn't he going after a master's if he's so brilliant? Or developing himself along professional lines? I can only guess.. but when he graduated, *somebody* said "now that you've got that out of your system, it's time to get with it.."

Do you really think calling the group's leader "feeble-minded" will open the door to a constructive dialogue? "I can only guess" pretty much sums up most of your comments to date about that little group in Mississippi, doesn't it?

They named him after the "greatest" mogster they thought they knew.. He responds only to praise, that I can see.. ask a couple of hard questions and he doesn't have any more use for you..

"They" being VP2's parents? I'd say they named him after his grandfather, and I have a hunch "they" knew him pretty well, warts and all. How do you know he responds only to praise? Is it because he didn't answer your barrage of questions? If their tone was as accusative as the ones you've fired at Caleb, I don't blame him. He's not obligated to answer you.

and he is surrounded by yes men of the lowest degree, in my opinion.. but he can't withstand them. He's feeble-hearted. Can't turn down the praise or worship.. "a great man of god"??

I knew one of those men quite well and was acquainted with another. Neither was a "yes man" when I knew them, and neither was of "the lowest degree."

where did that start? That's another good question.. was the group INSTRUCTED in this, and by whom?

Did you never think any of twi's leaders were "great men of God" when you were young and eager?

more questions.. well, if you're still kicking around here Caleb.. please forward these to the board along with the rest.

I'm sure Caleb will jump at the chance to act as your messenger boy after the warm welcome he's received here.

• Upvote 2

I don't foresee there ever being a healthy dialogue with any leader or member of any offshoot on this board. I can only imagine what it must feel like. Probably a lot like slathering oneself with honey and standing on a hill of red ants.

I've never been to a CFF meeting and have no interest in going to one. I have no stake whatsover in SOWERS and no current relationship with any of its board or staff. In other words, I have no interest in defending anything except everyone's right to express themselves here without being treated with disdain and having every word picked apart right out of the gate.

• Upvote 3

I don't foresee there ever being a healthy dialogue with any leader or member of any offshoot on this board. I can only imagine what it must feel like. Probably a lot like slathering oneself with honey and standing on a hill of red ants.

I've never been to a CFF meeting and have no interest in going to one. I have no stake whatsover in SOWERS and no current relationship with any of its board or staff. In other words, I have no interest in defending anything except everyone's right to express themselves here without being treated with disdain and having every word picked apart right out of the gate.

Linda,

You are another poster I really enjoy reading. Sometimes you say things I wish I had said. . . but did you read doojable's post? You are assuming this kid is offended. . . when his words actually indicate he knows what kind of posts are on this site. He welcomed the questions. . . knew there would be many. . . and said up front it would take time to answer them.

Why don't we give him awhile to be a man of his words?

I have a son a bit younger than Caleb. My son is working on a Wetlands Preserve called "The Farm" this summer (for MONEY). He is getting ready to go to an accredited bible college this fall in Virginia. He is a busy kid. . . oodles of friends and commitments. . . I barely see his handsome face. . .

Let's give Caleb a few weeks before we ride in and defend him. . . He is a big boy. . . and if anything like my kid. . . very busy! :)

Edited by geisha779
  • Upvote 1

That seems to be a problem at greasespot,anytime someone posts that is new,with new

information,they are bombarded quickly with a barage of crap.Had that happened to me when I first started posting,I would have left rather

quickly."New stuff" is what originally kept me coming back here.Now it seems it is boring,and any new stuff if any soon disappears.

I think people of twi are scared to death of this place.

Hey Caleb,If you are out there come back,At least I promise to yreat you civil.

• Upvote 1

Huh?!?! Go visit politics and tacks, sports and others. Regular long time posters dish it out and get it dished back. Someone "new" shows up with a fairly confrontational first post and you don't think there will be some dishes served back? This is GSC after all. Granted he apologized but you know if you visit my house - stand at my door - pseudo-threaten me (note pseudo) then do not expect to be welcomed to the dinner table just because you toss out an apology.

Rummy - you know I can dish it back with the best of them. In this case I believe the young man was being flippant - nothing more.

I feel the same as you about someone coming to my house acting that way, but this is a "public" place, and as such I believe it's best to diffuse rather than respond in kind.

• Upvote 3

Dooj, what you said was fine... now THIS is a demonstration of ignorance of the art, no doubt an attempt at being deliberately offensive. I don`t know any self respecting martial arts student from either style that would make that claim.

Rascal - I'm surprised that after all this time you still lead with your chin.

Why not lighten up and see humor when it's right in front of you. Notice this post:

I have been known to on occasion, but I am not so sure it counts anymore. . . . you see, I actually believe Jesus Christ IS God! :)

Sometimes fun and banter can lighten a conversation, especially a conversation that is essentially a bunch of folks sitting around and waiting on someone to come answer questions he invited.

Linda - I repeat - the kid knew what he was walking into.

Feel like? Good lord! This is the internet, not the Spanish Inquisition. There are no torture chambers here (though I think GT should consider installing some ;) ) If someone doesn't like what is written they can get up from the computer and live life. If you'll look closely at the thread - only about 2 1/2 pages have been devoted to questions. The rest of the posts have been us discussing how we discuss, questions, and how we don't always get along.

The kid knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

Linda,

You are another poster I really enjoy reading. Sometimes you say things I wish I had said. . . but did you read doojable's post? You are assuming this kid is offended. . . when his words actually indicate he knows what kind of posts are on this site. He welcomed the questions. . . knew there would be many. . . and said up front it would take time to answer them.

Why don't we give him awhile to be a man of his words?

Edited by doojable
  • Upvote 2

Typical of you Rascal - always insulting something you know nothing of. I can't believe how insulting you get all the time. I can't believe anyone actually lets you speak in front of them.

Frankly your vitriol and venom astounds me - although I confess I also find your bitterness somewhat entertaining at times.

Ignorance? My daughter has studied TaeKwonDo for 17 years under a Korean Master and currently participates on the UCSD competitive team. In San Diego martial arts of all kinds are a big deal since there are so many Asian immigrants with varying disciplines. At the San Diego All County competition which is between students followed by a single day of just the masters, the Karate "followers" are held in the lowest esteem...for the very reasons I posted. So my facts which I have seen for years now are what you claim to be ignorance. You know nothing about my actual life in San Diego - yet you are the one who presumes to be able to accurately judge ignorance from experience and then pronounce your findings...

No Rascal - you are the ignorant one to always use harsh language when you don't have all of the facts - you are ignorant to presume that only your experiences count.

Why don't you come on out and take part in the San Diego All County competition and see for yourself whether my post was accurate or not?

I'll anxiously await your hitting the "minus" button on this post since you clearly have a personal vendetta against anything Groucho or I post.

Now unless you post more of your bitter bile against me I'll leave this thread to you and your greater knowledge of the universe.

Yo!!! Caleb - come on back - I'd like to have a chat with you - casual however as I am no longer religious - just curious about SOWERS though.

Edited by RumRunner
  • Upvote 2

Wow

I'm heavily struck, here, with how unpredictable can be the human condition and the oft strong desire to be right, to be sure to get the last word in, to be sure to one-up another.

Not exactly the vision Pawtucket had, I'm sure, when he said something like "lets tell the other side of the story and maybe have some fun doing it".

If someone pi$ses me off and I just can't stand it, I fail to see the good in not standing it so publically; I guess I'll never understand that and I'm glad I don't get it.

Caleb, in his youthful "I was just kidding" approach and tone after his original approach of "I'll show up on your stoop"..........I think that those of us that have children that are older than 22 might understand that silliness quicker and yes, he did deserve to have explained to him the better way to frame things here.

But my question, then, is whether or not like bahavior isn't happening amongst those that were comfy to tell him straighten up and fly right.

The bully on the playground that barges into the new playground, making comments that he later states were "just kidding" then gets to sit back and watch as those he is presumed to have bullied go at each other.

I think we too often have no idea of another's intentions, and of course we lack eye contact and body language and general knowledge of someone that is merely known to us on a computer screen.

Then I've known of two or more people getting together on the phone or an IM and prod each other against another. "you post this and I'll follow with this" and so it goes. For what? To show someone how tough we are, how much more we know than them, we're big, they're small and by God we are going to make sure they remember it?

Sad and our new friend Caleb, bless his heart and pass the peas, sees only the bickering and spitting and why the hell wouldn't he feel comfortable to come back with more of his own goodies.

I don't know the man called Caleb but I do understand young people that age and I do understand having connections to people of note and just those two combined make for a powerful mix of "pffffttttt"

Is that his intent? I'm not sure I care, but as is the original idea of the forum, too, he has the right to express it and yes, the responsibility to accept the consequences of a strong group of people.

I looked at his posts through the lens of a mama and more fun, the mama of a 20 something kid that is forever making statements that she might have to swallow whole in a short time, sometimes all the time. She'll get it and so will Caleb, I pray. I know I did when as I matured and understood and got off my '10 foot tall and bulletproof' ladder.

But to go at each other in such a public manner...........nah.

Sad.

Caleb, say what you need to say, just do heed alot of the posters sage wisdom of caution, whatever that is for you.

Edited by Shellon
  • Upvote 5

It's all good - Caleb came on here probably becuase the SOWERS program is not TWI, but based on Way Corps principles and is kind of part of an offshoot. This is one of the only places for ex-TWI members or offshoots to post publicly. Everyone's mouthy on the Internet. And it's hard to spend much time on forums when you're working on a farm long hours and doing Bible study outside of that.

• Upvote 1

I have no interest in defending anything except everyone's right to express themselves here without being treated with disdain and having every word picked apart right out of the gate.

And spoil everyone's fun?

He is a young whippersnapper who doesn't know sh!t from shinola. You know, like most of us when we were his age, only most of us didn't know it then, either. But that's different - well, at least for some of us.

Linda Z, you are entirely too rational at times. I love it, but it'll cause your "reputation" to suffer.

• Upvote 4

Linda Z, you are entirely too rational at times. I love it, but it'll cause your "reputation" to suffer.

Naw her reputation won't suffer. She really is a nice person in RL...well she was 25 years ago anyway. For all of her occasional Sister Linda Theresa can't we all be friends kind of thing there really is nothing you can do to tarnish her reputation. If there is anyone on GSC who is still clean - it's probably LindaZ.

...now (rubbing hands together with evil grin on face)...what bad things can I say about Linda Z...

• Upvote 2

Well now I am really confused. . . someone comes here and has an over the top initial post. . . is called on it and what?? We say it is okay because he is young? People called him on it. . . . and all "kidding" aside. . . that seems the proper response.

This is a discussion forum. . . no? Things are discussed? Differing opinions and viewpoints? What is it exactly we discuss? A cult that has hurt many people. . . whose cult? VP's cult and now his family seems intent on carrying on the legacy.

Offshoot is a really nice word, but an offshoot of what. . . a nice little bible study? Not in my world.

That family is poison. I am sorry they had VP for a dad and grandfather, but they can walk away from this garbage just like the rest of us. No one is forcing them to try and bring back the glory days.

Do you know what finally penetrated my pea size brain? The truth of what it was really all about.

The other side of the story. If he doesn't know like we didn't at that age. . . be a stand up person and tell him.

Or we can tell him it is great he is on this path with this group and more power to him. Yeah. . . hang with the Wierwilles. . . where else can you get the "word".

• Upvote 3

Heh heh heh - I bet not too many people argue with you

Well now I am really confused. . . someone comes here and has an over the top initial post. . . is called on it and what?? We say it is okay because he is young? People called him on it. . . . and all "kidding" aside. . . that seems the proper response.

This is a discussion forum. . . no? Things are discussed? Differing opinions and viewpoints? What is it exactly we discuss? A cult that has hurt many people. . . whose cult? VP's cult and now his family seems intent on carrying on the legacy.

Offshoot is a really nice word, but an offshoot of what. . . a nice little bible study? Not in my world.

That family is poison. I am sorry they had VP for a dad and grandfather, but they can walk away from this garbage just like the rest of us. No one is forcing them to try and bring back the glory days.

Do you know what finally penetrated my pea size brain? The truth of what it was really all about.

The other side of the story. If he doesn't know like we didn't at that age. . . be a stand up person and tell him.

Or we can tell him it is great he is on this path with this group and more power to him. Yeah. . . hang with the Wierwilles. . . where else can you get the "word".

• Upvote 1

Hi Caleb! I want to welcome you. I am Lizzy and I mostly read here. It is an interesting place. I learn a lot here by reading. I laugh too. There are intelligent people here with great sense of humor. You don't seem to me to be the type that would quit posting here just because someone disagreed with you or misunderstood you. I don't think "oversensitive" would describe you. I like that you encourage debate. Maybe it is those that disagree with you that you want to hear the most? Nothing wrong with that. How can we learn if we always agree? You said you wanted discussion and you got it! I look forward to reading what you have to say.

• Upvote 2

I still want to know if fig pep is all the rage.

Geezus WS I was just thinking about an afternoon marguerita and you bring up fig pep? Isn't that like bringing your own turds to the local sports bar?

• Upvote 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_qFHKZRFqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCA8hMa7WU&feature=related

Here are two scenes from the movie "Secondhand Lions." It's a great movie.

It's worth watching the whole movie, but basically in these two scenes the same guy that gives the punk kids an attitude adjustment then invites them to his home, feeds them and gives them some instruction in manners and life in general.

Enjoy.

I figure if a bunch of older adults were sitting around talking and some kid came into the room strutting his stuff - he'd get an instruction in manners and it might be forceful.

Then someone would take him aside and buy him a beer.

Edited by doojable
  • Upvote 1

Typical of you Rascal - always insulting something you know nothing of. I can't believe how insulting you get all the time. I can't believe anyone actually lets you speak in front of them.

Frankly your vitriol and venom astounds me - although I confess I also find your bitterness somewhat entertaining at times.

Ignorance? My daughter has studied TaeKwonDo for 17 years under a Korean Master and currently participates on the UCSD competitive team. In San Diego martial arts of all kinds are a big deal since there are so many Asian immigrants with varying disciplines. At the San Diego All County competition which is between students followed by a single day of just the masters, the Karate "followers" are held in the lowest esteem...for the very reasons I posted. So my facts which I have seen for years now are what you claim to be ignorance. You know nothing about my actual life in San Diego - yet you are the one who presumes to be able to accurately judge ignorance from experience and then pronounce your findings...

No Rascal - you are the ignorant one to always use harsh language when you don't have all of the facts - you are ignorant to presume that only your experiences count.

Why don't you come on out and take part in the San Diego All County competition and see for yourself whether my post was accurate or not?

I'll anxiously await your hitting the "minus" button on this post since you clearly have a personal vendetta against anything Groucho or I post.

Now unless you post more of your bitter bile against me I'll leave this thread to you and your greater knowledge of the universe.

Yo!!! Caleb - come on back - I'd like to have a chat with you - casual however as I am no longer religious - just curious about SOWERS though.

Well now that really IS stupid..I LIKE Groucho and enjoy his posts ...lol :)

I guess I don`t think much of a teacher of any kind of style that propounds that kind of crap. I have competed in open tournaments as have my kiddoes. The tae kwon do students big dramatic movements are generally able to be countered by the shorter more direct karate techniques...shrug...

Either way, The martial arts students around these parts have mutual admiration, respect and understanding of one another and their specific styles, as well as what makes each of them unique and effective.

Dooj, lead with my chin or not, I post what I think, and in spite of your numerous assertions of embarrassing myself, it would be less than honest to alter my posts or opinions or style to suit you. Why not let me post my thoughts?

Can we limit our comments to our opinions to the subject at hand rather than why one anothers points or opinions should be invalidated?

Edited by rascal
  • Upvote 2

Well now that really IS stupid..I LIKE Groucho and enjoy his posts ...lol :)

I guess I don`t think much of a teacher of any kind of style that propounds that kind of crap. I have competed in open tournaments as have my kiddoes. The tae kwon do students big dramatic movements are generally able to be countered by the shorter more direct karate techniques...shrug...

Either way, The martial arts students around these parts have mutual admiration, respect and understanding of one another and their specific styles, as well as what makes each of them unique and effective.

Dooj, lead with my chin or not, I post what I think, and in spite of your numerous assertions of embarrassing myself, it would be less than honest to alter my posts or opinions or style to suit you. Why not let me post my thoughts?

Can we limit our comments to our opinions to the subject at hand rather than why one anothers points or opinions should be invalidated?

"Can we limit our comments to our opinions to the subject at hand rather than why one anothers points or opinions should be invalidated?"

So why did you post your additional BS above Rascal? Call it a even - well except that TaeKwonDo always kicks Karate butt - now go back to you regularly scheduled program - and if you want to call me "STUPID" again do it in a PM wench.

• Upvote 1