GreaseSpot Cafe

ever run into ex-wayfers?

Bolshevik

one of my students just "caught" me on Greasespot.

"hey, are you with the way?"

"uh, no . . are you?"

"no, I grew up in it, my parents left"

"me too, though my folks are still in"

"craig martindale was a pervert"

"I hate those mo-fos"

"me too!"

he he lol

Edited by Bolshevik
  • Upvote 2

Once in awhile--but not very often, maybe once every few years--After 20 years out

the ones Ive run into seem to be either in the

1.) Gee's we were totally f'ed up-good to see you--glad we got out, what are you doing now? group

2.) I have no friends , I used to know you 25 years ago so let me be clingy and annoying to you now

3.) What are you doing with "The Word" now clan.

Im not much on reminiscing, the people who want to relive the "good old days" really make me want to run at full speed as soon as I see an opening

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the funnest for me was the mom of one of my daughters friends.

I was checking the family out for my child to possibly spend the weekend and that included questions like 'where do you worship, leave me a blood sample and your fingerprints' :blink:

Of course that also led to questions of her own and I mentioned a place in Ohio that we hung with for 16 years and she said "oh, not the Way is it?"

Why, yes, yes it is, have you heard of it, I pressed.

She had hung out with them for awhile her own self, taken some classes, etc., until it did such damage to her marriage she had to go another direction. They did eventually divorce, sadly, whether twi was contributory or not.

It was not necessarily easier to allow her to have my precious for the weekend with this info but it did give us a place to start.

Aside: the girls have been best friends for 2 years now and I am totally comfortable with our families together.

• Upvote 2

I'm not really sure.

The other day, I was parked in my work van doing some paperwork.

The van has our company name and nature of our business on the side.

Some guy pulls up, gets out of his car and comes over to my window.

Then he asks me if I do side jobs. (Forbidden by company due to conflict of interest.)

Well, I explained that to him and suddenly the conversation somehow shifted topic and he was preaching a sermon on the evils of the illuminati, the masons and foreign financing.

I listened politely as he calmly told me that HDTV is a GVT. plot to install TV's with built-in cameras in our homes so "they" can spy on us. Next, he told me how, in the future, all driver's licenses would have built in micro-chips to track our every move. Borrowing a line from a poster on GSC a few days ago, I chuckled and told him I wasn't worried because I already have a chip implanted in my forehead. My, oh, my, how quickly the conversation shifted yet again to focus on something cute his kid had done. Wayfer? I don't know. It sure wouldn't have come as any surprise, though, if a "green card" had suddenly appeared.

• Upvote 1

If I run into an ex-wayfer, it's usually deliberate. I have a number of friends who used to be in TWI, but I didn't hang with them then. I don't hang with them now because of past affiliation. I hang with them because I like them.

• Upvote 3

I have not run into anyone in 20 years. but the last 12 are just because I live in a tiny town, far from any possible twig. and the previous 8 were well the martindale years and I think twigs werre pulling in and not expanding so the chances of me meeting any one then were also slim to none.

I have on line now ran into three people I knew from after my WOW year.

I suspect it depends again on where you are... BAck east where there was a larger concentration of people would make it more likely to run into some one!

• Upvote 1

We moved to a city we had never been to while in TWI. We do see way bumper stickers once in a while, but I don't know if they are current or really old. Since we moved here in 2001 we haven't seen any old Wafers we knew, though we have had a few letters and phone calls.

• Upvote 1

...We do see way bumper stickers once in a while, but I don't know if they are current or really old.

I haven't seen a Way bumper sticker in almost 20 years. Do they still make them? Do they require their people to put them on their cars? Do they still mainly serve to hold their cars together? :biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

oh and that reminds me of the time I still had a bumper sticker on my car. Some lady at the grocery store came up to tell me about sex scandals before lcm. First time, maybe second, I heard about it outside of HQ.

• Upvote 2

Ah yes.. "present (I'm still in da dumb *ministry*) *truth* and all..

:biglaugh:

I hope you get a favourable "out" soon, friend..

Old Wayfers don't *die*.. they just fade away..

:biglaugh:

Edited by Ham
  • Upvote 1

As I have mentioned before my dearest friend for more than 30 years is an ex-wayfer. As a matter of fact she is the one who "witnessed" to me. twi plays no part in our friendship. Really never did. Jackie and I live in the same town and hooked up some years ago. We were in a way home together a lifetime ago. She is a true genuine person.

My precious Stan and Claudia live in the same town as well. Now you want to talk about real... true... genuine... folks!!! I don't know where my life would be without them. There is none other like them. Our love for each other runs deep.

So, yes, I suppose I do "run into" ex-wayfers....

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute here, I must be missing something...not an impossibility with me. Where are these bbq's? Is this the Texas or Brit thing? Ya'll are bbq'ing without me? Helloooooo......

The Texas BBQ started three years ago when Tom Strange and I invited ourselves to Ex10's place, and a number of other GS'ers (from as far away as Alaska) joined in. The next year (also at Ex10's) was a bit more pre-planned; and it was an international event (with Twinky showing up). Last year, due to some unfortunate Ike damage at Ex10's, the party was at my place. There are pics from all three parties in the Gallery.

It's customarily the first weekend of November (pleasant weather in SE Texas), though no official plans have been made yet for this year.

George

• Upvote 1

I generally try to avoid running into people in general. I hear the fines are too steep and the possibility of jail is just way too unappealing.

Though there are a few ex-wayfers that might make it all worthwhile....

*Note the tongue firmly planted in my cheek*

• Upvote 2

Not in person for many (10+ ) years. No bumper stickers for about as long. I do see some on web sites like Facebook, MySpace, etc. Good to know that the internet is now blessed by WayVille. Anyone know when being online was no longer instant possession? Just curious.

Weirdest encounter with an ex-wayfer? A guy at an airport with his kids wearing a really old WOW jacket. I asked if he was with the Way and he said "no." No explanation. "Were you ever a WOW?" "Yep." Man of many words.... Dumb me HAD to ask why he still wore the jacket then. His answer? "Uh, I like the color."

JT

• Upvote 3

'old wayfers just fade away' yes,devolop lives,get an education,realize

we dont need no stinkin ministry to be a part of something bigger.

Since I live in a moderate small town,I do talk to innies.

They have been respectful,I have been respectful,no harrassment,i said several years ago,I did not want anything to do wit the tway.

• Upvote 1

I run into a certain poster's mother in Wal-Mart every now and then but she doesn't recognize me.... she's still very in, of course.

At my work, I became good friends with a nurse in my department and one day disclosed I had been in a religious cult called "The Way Inter..." and she finished my sentence for me! She then tells me that her husband had been in TWI and he had gone WOW and was going in the WC when he left. That was mind blowing, to say the least!

• Upvote 1

The Texas BBQ started three years ago when Tom Strange and I invited ourselves to Ex10's place, and a number of other GS'ers (from as far away as Alaska) joined in. The next year (also at Ex10's) was a bit more pre-planned; and it was an international event (with Twinky showing up). Last year, due to some unfortunate Ike damage at Ex10's, the party was at my place. There are pics from all three parties in the Gallery.

It's customarily the first weekend of November (pleasant weather in SE Texas), though no official plans have been made yet for this year.

George

...before the Texas BBQ's we had the Southern Comfort Weenie Roasts.
  • Upvote 1