GreaseSpot Cafe

Kimberly's Squash Casserole

kimberly

O. k. I am sharing my top secret recipe. Back at the Memorial Day cookout we had at mom's I made this. Many folks said this was the best part of the meal. I make this once or twice a week during the summer at home.

6 to 8 small yellow squash cut into rounds

1 large white onion cut into rounds

2 large tomatoes, (home grown the best) quartered then quarters cut in half

8 ounces (at least) sour cream

salt and pepper, more pepper than salt

2 bay leaves

A little bit of each minced:

basil, parsley, oregano and thyme

a dash or two of red pepper flakes

spinach noodles

Cook spinach noodles.

Place bay leaves in water and allow to simmer, covered, for one minute.

Place squash and onion in steaming basket, place in steamer (pot, whatever)and cook for one minute covered. You want the bay leaves aroma to saturate the veggies.

Remove from cooking and turn veggies into mixing bowl. Remove bay leaves.

Gently mix salt, pepper, sour cream and herbs into veggies.

Then very gently fold tomatoes into mixture.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. If you bake it uncovered it will dry out. Yuk!!!

Serve casserole on spinach noodles.

The boy hates tomatoes and squash but loves this casserole. I don't like squash but I love this recipe. Something about cooking the squash and tomatoes and sour cream together gives it a delicious flavor.

When I made this at the Memorial Day cookout everybody wanted to know what kind of cheese was in the casserole. No cheese just sour cream.

If you have to use grocery store tomatoes refer to my earlier post about how to prepare them. Then use them in this recipe.

• Upvote 1

Watered Garden, I always plant the yellow crook neck squash. Straight neck will do just as well in this recipe, also.

One thing I did forget to mention in the recipe about the sour cream. I used fat-free once and it was too watery. Yuk, yuk, bland something missing. No flavor or richness. Then I used low fat and the casserole was nearly the same.

Whole sour cream does provide a rich moistness to the recipe without that watered down effect.