GreaseSpot Cafe

Pressure cooking

bowtwi

I'm interested in learning about cooking with a pressure cooker. I have a newfangled digital pressure cooker that I've had for a few years. I've never tried it because of a nagging memory in the back of my mind about the dangers of screwing up and ending up with the food splattered all over everywhere.

Anyone use a pressure cooker? I'm about to try a meatloaf in there. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

bowtwi, my mom cooked a lot of food in the pressure cooker. One thing she always stressed to me was to allow the pressure to cool down properly. Don't open it until the gauge says so.

About the only meat mom cooked in the pressure cooker was beef stew. I don't ever remember her cooking any kind of hamburger meat in the pressure cooker. I would imagine, though, hamburger meat being cooked under a steam pressure would turn out kind of soggy.

I don't do pressure cooking but I do a lot of pressure canning. The same is true. You have to treat the cooker with extreme care. In the right situation it could be considered a weapon.

New Pressure cookers are safe .. you can not open them until the pressure is down as they have a special locking mechanism... I suppose if you left it it might over pressure and explode but I don't leavce mine un attended. the trick is to get it up to pressure and then turn the heat down to keep it at that pressure.

I like to cook my beans in them chili is especially delicious that way... you use less seasoning as the preasure seems to intensify it.

your cooker should have come with a booklet with instructions and recipies.

I also do pressure canning with my big one.. I have two a small one and a large one.

I haven't tried meat in mine yet but have toyed with the idea of cooking a chicken in my little one.

I can go get mine and post them but you can also find pressure amounts and times posted in most good cook books.

Pressure cooking is awesome, but it depends upon your goals for the meal. If you like your meats drier, this is not the best method because it retains moisture.

It is great for cheaper cuts of meat; they have less marbled fat and can be dry or chewy. The pressure cooker tenderizes and moisturizes them, so it's a great $$ saver when on a tight budget.

I do a pot roast in my cooker when I time is short. Normally I'll do an all day version [12 hrs] in a very low-temp oven, but can get the same results in 40 minutes with the pressure cooker.

It is great for stews, soups, chiles, bean dishes and even puddings! I've never had an electric digital cooker; just the manual ones.

Also cook boneless chicken quickly when I want shredded chicken for enchiladas, tacos etc.