GreaseSpot Cafe

We Bumped into a Lifer

krys

(snip) Maybe they don't care about the entire organization being rotten at the top....their little group is ok? I was told it's beginning to feel like the old times.

The old times. The old days.

I would find it hard to believe that anything concerning the Way International resembles "the old times".

It certainly would not resemble its incarnation from the 1950s and 1960s. I think most people who went through the PFAL class back then were older and saw Wierwille's organization and class as possibly interesting and intriguing, but not anything to which they were going to alter their basic lifestyle. Certainly nothing in which they would devote their lives, their money or their free will. From the few folks I've spoken with who took Wierwille's class in the early-to-mid 1960s, they viewed the PFAL class much as we would view a college class; they took it once, then felt free to do what the class implied to them - use the keys to interpret the Bible themselves, not waiting for Victor Wierwille to further explain it to them

It certainly does not resemble the 1970s. People floated in and out of the "Twig" fellowships as they pleased, and took the PFAL class (or not) as they pleased. Unless you were part of a formal program (WOW Ambassadors, Way Homes, Way Corps, Fellow Laborers, etc.), you did pretty much as you pleased. If you felt like attending someone else's fellowship for a while (or permanently), you generally didn't encounter a lot of static. You didn't have to let "leadership" know if you were going on a trip, or going to visit your family, or, really, going to do anything.

(Of course, there were always various attempts at controlling behavior by various individuals, but I'm speaking generally.)

It was the 1980s when attempts at controlling and enforcing TWI edicts among the "general believer population" became more pronounced, culminating in the Martindale letter to the clergy in 1989 (?). Coincidentally, that's the decade I ended my affiliation with TWI (as so many others did, also). From what I've read on Waydale, Greasespot and other forums, the insane attempts at control became more evident into the 1990s and 2000s. Even though L. Craig Martindale is no longer the chief dogmatic and mouth-foamer at the Way, it sounds like most of the policies are still in force, though not as overtly enforced.

And, perhaps most importantly, TWI no longer has any kind of "charismatic leader" to center their "believing images of victory" around. No cultleader of personality claiming (either implicitly or explicitly) to have a real strong "connection to God" to center their renewed mind around.

So, exactly what "old times" are they referring to?

Edited by Kevlar2000
  • Upvote 1

WW that's not how I see this. Those people were sliding BACK into the wasteland....so the net numbers would be increasing (along with the abs). True this is only one small area where I used to live...but I'm sure it's not the only one where this phenomenon is (or has) occurred.

I think in certain areas they are pushing to keep the numbers the same or show slight increases. So they try and talk a couple families back into attending so they can record them on their books and justify their measly existence and salary they draw. They'll leave these people alone and if they attend once every month or two they can still be on the books. By no means is this an across the board net numbers increasing. That hasn't happened in decades. But since they count and recount numbers every month, it's a way to try and show numbers on paper.

• Upvote 1

Of course she has an inheritance waiting for her so she doesn't have to worry about her future but I can't imagine living "The Way" all these years.

The first part gives the answer to the 2nd. Ie., one big reason why she is still there, and enjoying the so-called 'warm fellowship' of believers, is _because_ of her inheritance. Further ie., because she (most likely) believes in abundant sharing, they ain't gonna bite the hand that feeds them so generously.

Thanks for the answer to the puzzle (the first part gives the answer to the 2nd). I just could not imagine living at twi all these years. I would have had to curl up and die, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

The first part gives the answer to the 2nd. Ie., one big reason why she is still there, and enjoying the so-called 'warm fellowship' of believers, is _because_ of her inheritance. Further ie., because she (most likely) believes in abundant sharing, they ain't gonna bite the hand that feeds them so generously.

It seems like TWI has expended a lot of energy to keep some people around. They have, as long as I can remember sold themselves with all the determination of a rabid dung beetle. hehehe

And since I first read the topic of this thread I can say for certain that for all the good people who have been staying faithful to an organization that I believe in truth deserves their censure instead of their loyalty.

So many of the things that I once held onto because of TWI lies and spinning of the truth now pains me to see in someone else's thinking.

Yeah, it breaks my heart sometimes too Krys.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of inheritance..........there are SEVERAL OTHERS ON TWI'S PAYROLL who have received substantial inheritances. I know, because I spent time with some of these people back in 1980......AND THEY ARE STILL THERE.

At least, three or four "power" couples have plenty of $$$$$$.

Imagine......having enough money in the bank/investments for the rest of your life. So, really......how hard is it to smile at work, have a cushy job, and know that you're set for life?

Others.....who could lose their job tomorrow, have lots more to fear....and thus, submit. After all, their job resume would really suck in the real world.

Edited by skyrider

We call those people "TRUST-A-FARIANS"

Speaking of inheritance..........there are SEVERAL OTHERS ON TWI'S PAYROLL who have received substantial inheritances. I know, because I spent time with some of these people back in 1980......AND THEY ARE STILL THERE.

At least, three or four "power" couples have plenty of $$$$$$.

Imagine......having enough money in the bank/investments for the rest of your life. So, really......how hard is it to smile at work, have a cushy job, and know that you're set for life?

Others.....who could lose their job tomorrow, have lots more to fear....and thus, submit. After all, their job resume would really suck in the real world.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you guys know I still live in Dayton, Oh. Occasionally things like work, & visiting my kids' side of family, etc. take me in the vicinity of HQ. This particular time "things" took me right down "Highway 29".

Just for grins/nostalgia/curiosity's sake I decided to do a drive by of TWI HQ grounds.

I was shocked. They speak of "kindler/gentler" & yes, my encounters with what were once some of my closest friends, "brothers & sisters" from my in-residence days have been "all of the above." However, they just don't seem to see how EVERY encounter with them is the same. Each follows similar bullet points and they never end the encounter without "the close." They "lovingly encourage" you/us to come back, things are better now, so much better.

What shocked me though was the deteriorated shape of the grounds themselves. The ROA field is overgrown with, dare I say it, WEEDS. The smooth, pristine blacktop where the largest tent in the world once proudly stood is filled with cracks. The murals are gone from the OSC. Painted over. The circle of exotic trees round the fountain near the Wierwille home - - gone.

The whole place wreaks of "bygone days." Per New Knoxville's standards, TWI HQ is a slum. Various units were in differing stages of disrepair.

Seems they don't have the manpower, or perhaps they lack the desire to take care of the place - - the international home of what they say is, "God's Ministry."

I felt bad for the grass. It deserves better.

• Upvote 1

Maybe you guys know I still live in Dayton, Oh. Occasionally things like work, & visiting my kids' side of family, etc. take me in the vicinity of HQ. This particular time "things" took me right down "Highway 29".

Just for grins/nostalgia/curiosity's sake I decided to do a drive by of TWI HQ grounds.

I was shocked. They speak of "kindler/gentler" & yes, my encounters with what were once some of my closest friends, "brothers & sisters" from my in-residence days have been "all of the above." However, they just don't seem to see how EVERY encounter with them is the same. Each follows similar bullet points and they never end the encounter without "the close." They "lovingly encourage" you/us to come back, things are better now, so much better.

What shocked me though was the deteriorated shape of the grounds themselves. The ROA field is overgrown with, dare I say it, WEEDS. The smooth, pristine blacktop where the largest tent in the world once proudly stood is filled with cracks. The murals are gone from the OSC. Painted over. The circle of exotic trees round the fountain near the Wierwille home - - gone.

The whole place wreaks of "bygone days." Per New Knoxville's standards, TWI HQ is a slum. Various units were in differing stages of disrepair.

Seems they don't have the manpower, or perhaps they lack the desire to take care of the place - - the international home of what they say is, "God's Ministry."

Wow. Thanks for the update. That is sad. If nothing else, they always had good landscaping. Did you happen to see the auditorium?

JT

What's this about Advanced Class 98 cover up?

<Bump>

Does anyone have info on the AC '98?

JT

Wow!!

What a bummer.

They really need to get their believing up!

edit:

I drove past the old Way of Ohio HQ not so long ago.

Same deal. Over-run with weeds and desperately needing repair.

Of course, The Way no longer owns the property so the blame is not on them.

Still, when you think of all the "sweat equity" we FLO put into that place, it really drives home what a waste of time it all was.

Edited by waysider

All the "worker bees/Corp" are gone. :eusa_clap: maybe they can make a Ghost Town Amusement Park there under where

the Big Top was at!

• Upvote 1

Wow. Thanks for the update. That is sad. If nothing else, they always had good landscaping. Did you happen to see the auditorium?

Yup, saw the auditorium too. Drove down Wierwille Rd., turned left on Shelby County Rd. Could hardly believe what I was seeing so I turned around & came back for a double take. I actually stopped for a few moments & looked back into the trailer park.... Looks like a "trailer park."

They took the "Victor Paul Wierwille" off of the auditorium sign. Actually renamed the building. Speaks so loudly to their current intentions, I'd say... how much "kinder & gentler" is that? The sign looks unkempt, actually shocking, put me in mind of one of those doomsday scenario movies. The building looks, more dreary than I remember. It had an "abandoned" feel to it - was a bit weird, especially seeing as they still use it.

Your question brings back memories....

I actually did the design for the sign; helped build that building, literally, pounded a few nails, swept some construction dust, stuff like that. Part of my job was to document the building project from the designs on paper, through the groundbreaking and every construction phase. Even stopped in on the architects regularly & threw my two cents in on their design plans (it was really only work about 2 cents :-).

We put all of the best the ministry had to offer into that building. The best architectural designers available worked with the best auditorium design consultants in the country to meet the specs that we'd come up with. The building was to be the "perfect" place to speak God's Word from. Decades of experiences to draw from; doing SNS services in the BRC and countless venues, meeting rooms, convention centers & the like around the country and other parts of the world really helped.

... Not to mention years of doing Way Productions everywhere from the smallest living room to mansions, parks, every type of auditorium one could think of, to the BRC; and countless "Saturday Night Doo's" at that little church in New Bremen - - "The Way Cultural Center." We put everything we had collectively learned about putting on a production, years of likes & dislikes of every place we'd been along with (paid) consultation from some of the best minds in the "auditorium building," building business into that place.

I looked at it sort of like the grace administration's, our 20th century, version of "the temple." TWi called in many of the best artisans in the ministry to decorate it. We even used this theory of "color/music harmony" we'd been working on for years (the paintings in the lunch room at Emporia were earlier ventures into it) to come up with the color schemes, particularly in the main auditorium. From the wood from the hand carved auditorium doors, to the huge map in the lobby, to the painting of VPW, etc. everything in there had specific biblical/scriptural significance. Even VP's pose in the picture to the "Timothy" statue in the lobby - - all of it was done with great care by supposedly, our absolute best artisans in each field required for the building. It was thrilling, felt like Old Testament stuff coming to life.

There was a constant flow of people in from the field to "work on the auditorium." For it to be "the best" the best worked on it. Eg: The main auditorium was designed acoustically by some sound expert dude, so that a person could stand at the lecturn and need not be amplified for the furthest person in the highest seat in the balcony to hear him. It originally had a wireless headphone system installed so that people attending who needed translation could sit anywhere w/o having to plug in headphones.

"Not one bad seat in the house" was VP's directive for the design. The stage is deep enough and wide enough that "any" traveling broadway show could be produced there. They built it with the concept in mind that we could, and would approach major touring acts of any type to have them add New Knoxville, Ohio (!???!) as a stop on their tour. We could offer them "the finest auditorium facility between New York & Chicago" and a full house for every performance. While we were building it, we did special "Saturday Doo's" for local executives, ViP's, & honored guests, etc. (those were some times when I'd drive VP & his guests in his Lincoln) - - they'd sometimes get a classy dinner & show thing where some of the New York, Broadway folk, Branded, (when they were at their best), etc. came in to do some really great Way Prod performances. We did multimedia, live tapings of the TV Show (High Country Caravan)- all this great stuff leading up to the grand opening of the "Victor Paul Wierwille Word Over The World Auditorium."

VP sold community leaders on the idea that TWI would get world class performers & shows that they would normally have to fly or drive to some big city (like Chicago) to see... we'd get them right here in their own back yard. That went a long way towards improving community relations. In his last few years of vitality, the auditorium was his last big hurrah. Local people really liked the shows, sometimes there were more locals there than staff folk.

Then VP got sick, faded away & LCM took over. After that we got LCM and "Athletes of the Spirit."

HQ was abuzz w/ auditorium this & that, it seemed like forever. It was exciting to be a part of it, it was the "next HUGE ministry thing" the new centerpiece of TWi... the "WOW Auditorium." I was caught up in what it represented, this huge undertaking an amalgamation of all the best we, the ministry's artisans had to offer. Once it opened WayProd did a couple of Saturday Night Doo's leading up to to the grand opening it seemed like a "warm up" of sorts & build up of our production building chops in the new building. One show in particular called something like "PFAL, Our Life-Style" was this HUGE HIT! EVERYONE who saw it absolutely LOVED it!

That show was "squashed (at the trustee level) like a fat bug on a windshield" and swept under the rug "quicker than a greased pig in a barrel of hog fat." (reference intended) After maybe like, ONE performance it was GONE. All who were in it were told not to speak of it. No tapes were ever shown of it & it became firmly entrenched in HQ's "more than abundant" rumor mill.

Rumor had it that Craig didn't like it because it took away focus from "Athletes." Deeper rumor was that it was so good that it made "Athletes" look like "Muppets on Amateur Hour." At that time we had some really heavy hittin' performers in Way Productions. K@n McC@w was running WProd @ that time & he's a musical genius "par excellance." Scuttlebutt on the show was that it was "one of the most spiritually right on things we'd ever done." Further rumor was that K@n had put together a SUPERB show worthy of all the WOW Aud. hype & LCM was jealous cause "K@n's show was better than his." I don't know for sure, I didn't see it.

What does all this have to do w/ the topic "We Bumped into a Lifer?"

WE WERE ALL LIFERS. Those of us who put our lives, heart & soul into that auditorium, pretty much to a man - - were "Lifers." Myself included. I moved to New Knoxville, Ohio after graduating the 11th Way Corps with absolutely NO intention of ever living anywhere else. Geez. I went INTO the 11th WC with full intent to become a lifer @ HQ. I felt I was a "God Inspired Professional" and was willing to devote my life & God given talents to further God's purposes. You know, the ol' utmost for His highest thing, servin' at "the root."

At times I felt I'd "died & gone to heaven on earth" during the years I worked @ HQ. I worked tirelessly: many times round the clock, developing myself spiritually & professionally (I even pulled a 'B' in GREEK class in the Corps!) so I could honestly BE world class. My greatest desire, professionally, was to be able to put our publications up against ANY publication in the world and have them be "on par w/ the BEST."

We actually did it.

I was about 15 or 16 years old, an aspiring art student when I saw the "America Awakes" airbrushed album cover art. Excited, I asked David Craley (the Way Mag editor) at some ministry function, "Who did the cover art?" He told me the guy's name and that he was an unbeliever they hired because we didn't have anybody in the ministry who could do that kind of work at that level of quality.

I said. "Then I'll do it."

I finished high school, went to & graduated art school & studied under a world famous airbrush artist (who just "happened" to teach at the school I chose). Then went WOW at Mr. Craley's suggestion, came to HQ to work in Way Publications & now have illustrated more Way Mag Covers than anyone in TWI history (pre POP, as far as I know).

We actually did it. The Way Mag won secular awards. Our printer won printing industry awards for its printing quality. We then decided to "bring the mag home" and print it ourselves in the OSC. In a year, we went from a one-color duplication shop to become rated as one of the "Top 100 In-Plant Printing" 'four-color plus' operations in the country. When we put our stuff up against the best secular stuff, we won awards.

I married a local NK girl, bought a little house on an acre of land in the country & settled in to raise family. My plan was to be a "lifer" doing "artwork for God & His Minisrty." Many, many of us who worked @ HQ late '70s through the early 80's were there "for life." That was when the term "lifer" proliferated.

Then it all fell apart, even as we were building it. Now what they have there are lifer's, "lovingly encouraging" M&A folk to "come home."

Home? HQ has not been "home"

Come back to what? A dingy, dank looking, shell of "what once was & could have been???" A place where the blacktop cracks, weeds abound-chocking the once manicured grass lawns, significantly beautiful trees have died, lives have lost & ruined? The hand painted murals have faded, the hand made lobby art, (two stories tall ceramic relief map of the continental US with 1ft diameter embossed brass seals of each of the 50 US states) surely has layers of grimy dust on it. (That was a gift to HQ from "The Way of the USA" believers to honor the auditorium. It has what look like sound waves repeating outward from the spot on the Ohio map where HQ is to signify God's Word emanating from that point through the entire US to the whole world (Word Over The World Auditorium, get it? :-) It took two & 1/2 artist/ceramicists (I was the half, cause all I ever did was hang around w/ them while THEY worked, doin' a little grunt work moving tiles around, checking kiln temps & saying stuff like, "Yep. That color doesn't work. Oh, that one's better.") ...it took them/us about two MAN-YEARS to make that map, I'd love to know how much that thing alone is worth - custom formulated glazes to get the right browns, blues, & greens et al.

Come back to TWI? To the Auditorium? The facility with world class intent and potential wasted... that place? Oh you mean the place where they sing mind numbing lyrics dressed in circa 1980 outfits and some Ken doll looking wannabe "performer" moonwalks and break dances with 20 yr old outdated moves in a Navy blue (or was it "funeral black") business suit?

I don't think so.

I/ WE were "lifers." I feel free to speak for so many of us when I say "Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift." They threw US out! THANK YOU!!!

Those folk, sorry to say even some of my dear friends, are "lifers" on a dead boat. They have missed the boat so badly, the ship is not even on the horizon for them to see how far off the mark they are. It truly IS sad.

Sorry for the lengthy post, These things start out to be "one short little comment." Really they do.

BTW.

In case you wondered. I'm still living out my "God Inspired Professional" dream. Yes. I'm still doing artwork (hopefully world class) for "God's Ministry." However. Now I've come to learn that "GOD's Ministry" is not the ministry work of one particular "church" or one group. Its not the ego-driven desire or lusts of one man. God's ministry is the work of THE church.

The "church" I attend, we have a ministry to the country of Swaziland, South Africa. Its about as big as New Jersey, (I think) yet it has the highest incident rate of HIV/AIDS on the entire world. In fact, "this lovely little country" is (or should I say WAS) actually statistically on track to be extinct as a nation of people within a generation, should HIV/AIDS continue on the path its on.

WE have decided to do something about it. We feel we are called of God to be His hands & feet in His effort to save the people of Swaziland from disappearing from the face of the Earth. I serve on our Swaziland Communications Team, as part of our Swaziland Ministry. Last Saturday we held our 2nd Annual Swaziland 5K Run/Walk fund raising event. Its just one small part of our overall comprehensive effort that IS ACTUALLY SAVING PEOPLE's LIVES. We help orphan's and widow's and others who simply need some help from those of us who have abundant resources, whereas they have little.

This is abundant sharing. Been there, done that? Here's the t'shirt:

post-597-125323754493_thumb.jpg

Talk about your "lifers." How about an 11yr old kid with three younger siblings who is now "Head of his household" because both of his parents died last year from diseases related to HIV/AIDS. He's a "lifer." I'm now a "lifer" whose helping God give that kid his life back. Part of our "work of the ministry" to Swaziland is to help finance his schooling. Our In Community, By Community (ICBC) plan (among other things) finds and identifies orphans & families; recruits & trains widows who are more than willing to become "house mothers" to raise the children. ICBC identifies, recruits & trains pastors who then live IN their community and oversee their local church and the orphan homes in his community. Our church here in the US supplies funding, we send construction groups who build the pastor's home & build & maintain the orphan homes. We come along side them & supply whatever other support we can be for THEIR efforts to educate, and provide for themselves. We don't tell them what to do. we are not their leaders, coordinators, or even mentors.

We are their PARTNERS. Our theme for our Swaziland Ministry is "partnering today. preserving tomorrow."

I came up with that theme, one night sitting at this same computer while in prayer, asking God, "Hey God, what can we call this thing?" I designed the T'Shirt & my company provided the printing for the shirts. I also expanded the them for the 5k Run to say, "running today. preserving tomorrow."

Folks love it. God loves it. I'm a lifer in His, God's ministry.

• Upvote 2

Hmmmmmm. I wonder if.. anybody's considered strapping one of those big speakers on top of a car, or van. SLOOOOWLY drive down wienerville road, about 6 or 7AM.. playing "beautiful Ohio". The music, the broken down auditorium, trailer park..weed infested fields.. you get the idea..

:biglaugh:

makes me wonder what way "security" is really protecting from the locals..

and like a scene out of Night of the Living Dead.. zombies, ahem, staffers slowly rise, and erratically make their way through weed infested fields, and oil spattered parking lots to *work* in the auditorium, the osc..

:biglaugh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

* For Sale: Sierpinski Carpets and Gaskets, cheap... *

Edited by Ham

HCW - Thanks for sharing that. Great memories.

Still, has anyone answered the question about the Advanced Class 98 debacle? What was that all about?

This is all that I know Waylaid.

LCM was accused of adultery with a married woman and this proved to be a disruption.

And considering how TWI has either spun things or diligently hid them it seems it would take a trustworthy ex-innie to expound on the events. I was not there and am not even an advanced class grad, but I do think it is most likely that I am better offf for never taking the advanced class.

Imagine, TWI was suppose to teach people how the father of lies works. I have learned more by learning how TWI operates than anything they ever taught in the class I'm betting. :anim-smile:

• Upvote 1