GreaseSpot Cafe

What ever happened to The Twig Hopper?

waysider

Good question

:)

the "twig hopper" was a one of a kind production, wasn't it?

the harley.. and side car.. how many times did the "mrs" really ride in it?

I think I threw a few bucks in the special collection for that thing..

• Upvote 1

Good question

:)

the "twig hopper" was a one of a kind production, wasn't it?

the harley.. and side car.. how many times did the "mrs" really ride in it?

I think I threw a few bucks in the special collection for that thing..

I met a believer that bought VP's motorcyle on Ebay. Might be related.

I met a believer that bought VP's motorcyle on Ebay. Might be related.

VP didn't simply have A motorcycle.

He had several. Some were mucho expensive. Paid for with ill gotten funds from his MLM scheme called "The Way".

So what I'm wondering is----Do they still have them secretly stashed away like the used to?--- Did they sell them?----If they sold them, what became of the profits?

What ever happened to The Twig Hopper?

Well.....after wierwille wrecked it in 1983, the Flight Services guys and 'special assistants to vp' spent a week with repairs and new paint job. Along with this, extra decals, pin-striping and ultra-detail were added.....thereby, wierwille's 'club guys' took the twig-hopper to several shows and won top honors.

Few people.....ever knew that it was wrecked.

Few people.....ever knew that it was entered into motorcylce shows.

The wierwille-adulation was/is so thick......few ever come forward with any information.

:spy:

Well.....after wierwille wrecked it in 1983, the Flight Services guys and 'special assistants to vp' spent a week with repairs and new paint job. Along with this, extra decals, pin-striping and ultra-detail were added.....thereby, wierwille's 'club guys' took the twig-hopper to several shows and won top honors.

Few people.....ever knew that it was wrecked.

Few people.....ever knew that it was entered into motorcylce shows.

The wierwille-adulation was/is so thick......few ever come forward with any information.

:spy:

Soooooo---------Where is it now?

(and all the other ones?)

I'd be more interested in knowing how many twigs he and Mrs "hopped" to, on any motorcycle.

A doughnut to the one who gives the right answer.

I don't think he and the Mrs. used the bikes at all once he realized that the bed in the coach served his needs while visiting a twig much better than any of the motorcycles ever could. <_<

(Was that one doughnut worthy Twinky?)

doughnut is right-zero is of course the answer

even then, I knew that there was no way he was going to hop on that bike and show up at twigs-though that's exactly what he should have been doing-after all the life was in the twigs, the corps was all about training twig leaders, the whole twig thing was his 'church'-what would make more sense than him to enjoy retirement by visiting and blessing those who have supported him and his mission

I know-I'm laughing at how absurd it sounds even as I write it.

• Upvote 1

Jeff, that's about right.

Great answer Hiway.

Here's your prizes. Choose nicely. Turn and turn about.

THis is probably a stupid question and maybe Hap4me can answer it as he is in the right local. OR maybe someone else

but I remember the time I went to the Gunnison ranch in June? July ? of 79 that VP and the Misses were standing around by (I am assuming the twig hopper) It was a Brown? Maybe Maroon? Motorcycle with side car and I think a mini trailer but I could be wrong about the trailer they were supposedly riding around to the twigs wait maybe to the main area leaders homes.

We may have been out side of Colorado Springs too on a separate trip from Gunnison but I could of sworn it was the time we went to Gunnison.. we were standing around by or near the highway praying.

Sorry I am so muddled on it.. but it was when I was working full time and going to Business school full time and it was a long long time ago. Any way was that the twig hopper or some other special motorcycle?

Okay and well to be honest I didn't have a clue at that time I was supposed to think VP was the end all and be all.

Silly me.

THis is probably a stupid question and maybe Hap4me can answer it as he is in the right local. OR maybe someone else

but I remember the time I went to the Gunnison ranch in June? July ? of 79 that VP and the Misses were standing around by (I am assuming the twig hopper) It was a Brown? Maybe Maroon? Motorcycle with side car and I think a mini trailer but I could be wrong about the trailer they were supposedly riding around to the twigs wait maybe to the main area leaders homes.

We may have been out side of Colorado Springs too on a separate trip from Gunnison but I could of sworn it was the time we went to Gunnison.. we were standing around by or near the highway praying.

Sorry I am so muddled on it.. but it was when I was working full time and going to Business school full time and it was a long long time ago. Any way was that the twig hopper or some other special motorcycle?

Okay and well to be honest I didn't have a clue at that time I was supposed to think VP was the end all and be all.

Silly me.

I think that was indeed the "Twig Hopper." The little trailer thing was for a dog to ride in, probably to the dog's great dismay. It was I believe maroon and very fancy indeed. They did do some kind of road trip with other TWI-bikers, followed by one of the motor coaches for support. I think they went through the Badlands or something; I remember seeing an article and pictures in a Way Rag but that's about all.

WG

Here's a link to a picture I found via Google:

http://ex-way.com/gallery/twighopper-500-20.jpeg

That thing must have cost as much as a house!

Ah, that old picture.

A motorcycle, a sidecar, a large trailer, and a storage box on top of the trailer.

Nothng like traveling light, huh?

Silly me.

Sorry Leafy, I have no recollection of the Twig Hopper or any of the motorcycles being at Gunnison. That doesn't mean it never made the trip, only that I do not recall it. I was probably over at the corrals or chinking logs....or fishing. Actually 79 seems early for the bike to be there, and your description of standing near a highway sounds more like Colo Spgs. There is no "highway" near Camp Gunnison, or anywhere near the wonderful town of Gunnison.

• Upvote 1

The supposed purpose of the Twig Hopper was for VP to tour the countryside and visit the twigs. After all, "the life of the ministry is in the twig", remember? Now, I know they did some kind of week long or month long scenic bike ride or something because a poster here went along on that ride. But does anyone here recall VP ever dropping in on their twig? Never dropped in on mine. Hell, for that matter, he never even bothered to drop in on Fellow Laborers, even once, in all the years I was there.

Edited by waysider

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Leafy, I have no recollection of the Twig Hopper or any of the motorcycles being at Gunnison. That doesn't mean it never made the trip, only that I do not recall it. I was probably over at the corrals or chinking logs....or fishing. Actually 79 seems early for the bike to be there, and your description of standing near a highway sounds more like Colo Spgs. There is no "highway" near Camp Gunnison, or anywhere near the wonderful town of Gunnison.

Yeah I am thinking Colorado Springs but there was no dog or dog crate on top and that picture doesn't really look like the bike I remember but then LOL I do have a faulty memory.

I am guessing it was not the gunnisontrip... it was a gift. I remember that, a gift from the corps. And IT had to be in Colorado springs or between springs and Denver. I mostly remember my car being needed for several out of town trips.

IT was a quick trip up to see him and the misses as they were passing thru or taking off from being in Colorado. NOT that it really matters but I wondered if it was the twig hopper or some other motorcycle as it sounded like he had more than one/

I think '79 is way to early for the "Twig Hopper" as it was a Gift to VP unveiled during the 40th anniversary gala crap which places it circa 1982, that's if my memory serves me.

As far as where is it? I'm sure they have it stored away somewhere waiting for the 75th anniversary in 2017, when they can roll out all the stuff and bask in the glory of the good old days.

Seth