GreaseSpot Cafe

People Who Believe That There Is A God

Thanks, Oakspear – and just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Since we left TWI my wife Tonto and I have just about discussed all things TWI and many theological matters too. She was the first to start saying “I’ve made my own religion.”

I think she should post more than she does – maybe it’s got something to do with me bugging her to help me work on a post. She’s a great editor – and besides helping me fine tune a point or eliminate extraneous stuff on occasion – there’s also the whole being-honest-about-your-professed-faith-thing that develops between two people who still love each other even after an extended journey through the land of the hypocrites [12 years with TWI]. :knuddel:

more...

stage development is something that typically is not on our radar until the second half of life anyway

...once we have enough stages to reflect on

and all the world's ancient religions have had highly developed people in them

...and not just post-mythological...but even post-rational people

and so in spite of the tyrants and crusaders that the world's religions are so infamous for

there were also those who had a keen understanding of the natural stages of development

and so embedded in the cultural story and processes and wisdom were methods for assisting development

and they understood the harm caused from societies whose elders and leaders are unable to examine their own lives

Yes, even though many reflect on these stages later in life.

They can be of great value and a stage itself, to be able to see them and those early stages are of great value for the current past present and future ones.

And elders are misunderstood, as communicating the wealth jumps around the world of minds.

a very today story

30And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

I understand the atheist point of view and I understand the true blue flaming evangelist point of view, even though I'm not either. If you're an atheist, why pay attention to something said by a fictional character? If you're a true believer who believes that God created the universe and is a loving father, it only makes sense to follow the dictates in the book that you believe came from him.

But what about the people who say that they believe in God, the biblical god, yet go out of their way to break all his rules? What's going on in their heads?

I know a fair number of people who would be quite insulted, even shocked, if anyone called them an atheist, or even a non-Christian, but live their lives as if there is no God or gods, and even take a perverse pride in going against the prevailing standard for godliness; even some people who joke about how they're going to hell, which they say will be more interesting than heaven.

I don't get it.

That is a pretty broad stroke Oakspear.

dictates in the book

the biblical god

break all his rules

Nevertheless Hell is what it is.

As is Heaven.