GreaseSpot Cafe

John Lynn's recent email

To JAL I say, with no animosity: Why not lose the business model that you learned from twi? Instead of thinking of people as your followers, and as your "contributors," why not think of them simply as fellow followers of Jesus Christ? Then, why not simply walk away from the drama and start fresh (but not with the same old business plan that you carried from twi into CES/STFI)? It's clearly not working, and people are being hurt as a result.

There is great freedom in walking through life with your spiritual "eyes" watchful for ways to help others right where you are at any given moment. That would be a lot more satisfying and take a lot less energy than fighting over an organization that's been embroiled in power struggles for years.

My suggestion to you would be to let it go. Just be you, go where you feel inspired to go, touch those people who cross your path, and let them see God's love and grace in you. You might be amazed at how much good you can do without an audience or an organization. Why not quit campaigning for followers? Isn't that how CES started?

To the "contributors" of CES/STFI: Why not step back, take a breath, and ask yourself why you're involved in that group. Really, why? While you've been merrily "contributing," the people who run that outfit have been doing their level best to bite and devour each other. Over what? Political BS, looks like to me. Trust me, there is life for Christians without limiting yourself to one little group. If it were me, I wouldn't jump off the STFI bandwagon and onto the new JAL bandwagon. Step back. Take a breath. God is with you. You don't need any "leader" to show you what to do.

This is my take on the whole mess in a nutshell: It's more important to be loving than to be right, or "accurate." Love, real love for God and your fellow humans, will always lead you to do the right thing and get you to the right place at the right time. A pseudo-academic obsession with being "right" or "accurate" will only lead to inflated egos and neverending verbal battles. Which path sounds more enjoyable?

My suggestion for everyone involved in STFI, from its "leaders" to its "contributors," is this: Try getting off Accurate Avenue and take a ride on Freedom Freeway. Just try it. If you don't like it, if you feel you can't function without a "group" to lead or follow, then by all means start one or find one. But before you do that, why not give it a try?

:eusa_clap:

Lynda - Charlene,

I have tried to have that conversation with them for years.

I'm sure you have and you're not the only one. I tried in 1987 before all this got rolling...in my living room in Florida I explained to JAL that verses like II Peter 1:20,21 were not sure-fire truths for me, as far as referring to Genesis to Revelation like VPW said. (there's a thread here about that). But JAL was too wound up with his ideas to hear me...he said he didn't have time for all that sort of research. I clearly remember this because it shocked me so much. For me, I could not run around saying, Thus saith the Lord, if I wasn't sure just what the Lord said.

Within the last year on the Way Corps site when I reminded him of that talk we had, he told me he doesn't remember that conversation since he's had so many conversations with so many people.

Edited by penworks

My suggestion to you would be to let it go. Just be you, go where you feel inspired to go, touch those people who cross your path, and let them see God's love and grace in you. You might be amazed at how much good you can do without an audience or an organization. Why not quit campaigning for followers? Isn't that how CES started?

To the "contributors" of CES/STFI: Why not step back, take a breath, and ask yourself why you're involved in that group. Really, why? While you've been merrily "contributing," the people who run that outfit have been doing their level best to bite and devour each other. Over what? Political BS, looks like to me.

Oh....I tend to think its MUCH MORE than "political BS."

Does anyone really think that all these splinter-group leaders would/could "go where they feel inspired, touch those people who cross their path, etc" and make a fresh break from the MLM-twi setup? I mean, why is it that "the big guns"......cgeer, jal, finnyfan, dseed, other region guys.....quickly latched onto the contributors/supporters listings as they broke from twi's mother ship?

Could it be.......faithful supporters ($$$$$) is the lifeblood of their motives?

Could it be.......consistent adulation and praise of men is their highest prize?

<_<

Edited by skyrider

Could it be.......consistent adulation and praise of men is their highest prize?

It appears so, or we certainly wouldnt be seeing a letter like that.

So the thing built on personalities and foundations of sand fell apart...

well Duh, who couldnt see that coming?

---verily verily they have their reward

Does anyone really think that all these splinter-group leaders would/could "go where they feel inspired, touch those people who cross their path, etc" and make a fresh break from the MLM-twi setup? I mean, why is it that "the big guns"......cgeer, jal, finnyfan, dseed, other region guys.....quickly latched onto the contributors/supporters listings as they broke from twi's mother ship?

Could it be.......faithful supporters ($) is the lifeblood of their motives?

<_<

Yep. . . . you nailed it. . . . and he already said what he is inspired to do.

Start a worldwide church, excuse me, ekklesia. . . because apparently the one we have is not good enough. What I think he really means is . . . run the world wide church. That is nothing new . . . these guys are still trying to be Jesus Christ on the cross.

Are crosses allowed in STF?

There is a huge difference between being inspired by God and listening to your own ego. . if God is inspiring that man. . I am becoming an atheist.

I mean it. (Jer 14:14)

With all due respect for the lovely ladies and what I am sure were their pure motives for trying to talk to JAL about change. . . . I have to ask. . . what were you thinking?

We ARE talking about the same John Lynn. . . right?

The guy who loves to remind us how important he is. . . again and again?

Edited by geisha779

Good One Geisha

-------------

Then the Lord said unto me. The prophets prophecy lies in my name: I sent them not,neither have I commanded them,neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and athing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.

Jeremiah 14:14

----------

Jer 23 is another good chapter

Edited by mstar1

Good grief, that email is longer than most of the Pauline epistles - and that's without taking JL's attachments into account (total length then, how long? as long as a gospel?)

The difference in the Pauline epistles is that they are concerned for the wellbeing of the readers, the believers, young churches, home fellowships. Not "I, me, mine." Where is the "edification and comfort" in anything that JL says? Who is preached, who is his letter about, who is glorified? And who isn't preached, who isn't the context of the letter, who isn't glorified?

Philippians 1:

12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; 13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places; 14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. 15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: 16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: 17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. 18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. 19 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

Paul wrote this in rather more trying circumstances than JL has faced. Paul sets out his own credentials in Phil 3, taking just three short verses to summarise his "career".

Then concludes with this:

8 I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness...

Take a lesson, John, and all the rest at CES.

Yep. . . . you nailed it. . . . and he already said what he is inspired to do.

Start a worldwide church, excuse me, ekklesia. . . because apparently the one we have is not good enough. What I think he really means is . . . run the world wide church.

Not only is that MONEY-contributor......highly sought after.

Not only is the constant adulation......always stroking egos.

BUT......the twi-template of "ministering to the flock" GIVES THE TOP GUY the freedom to travel, very little accountability, blurred petty cash accounts, overnight stays at abs expense, discretionary spending, non-profit status, and "starry-eyed popularity" at every twig. WHAT A CUSHY JOB !!! Sounds like a U.S. Senator job or something equivalent.

Heck......one could enjoy motorcycle riding, hunting elk, steak dinners, special vacation resorts, and STILL teach a twig or two along the way.....all on the splinter-group dime. And, get a nice salary to boot.

No surprise why one wouldn't fight like he11 to stay on the gravy train.

:anim-smile:

Edited by skyrider

hi greasespotters!

on 10/01/2007, i started a thread asking john lynn and jeff blackburn if the ces "crisis" was over......................i posted daily questions to them and all the so-called "servant-leaders" running the ces sideshow back then, using their own materials, writings, etc. so as to encourage a context they would be familiar with, and hopefully encourage them to dialogue with the greasepot community as to what they were really all about...............

all i can say to this latest series of longwinded, meaningless, rationalization, doubletalk, and cult-speak is

"we told you so"!.................starting way back in may 1988...................it would be funny, if only it was'nt so heartwrenchingly pathetic, and if only so many hundreds of really good human beings had not been so despitefully used and hurt by another group of self-serving egomaniacs cloaking themselves with the bible and christian religion in order to make themselves some money, and bask in the adulation of those they deceived and used.......

another story in the "naked city" of the psychosocial, pseudo-spiritual, self-obsessed world of man-made religion and its self-proclaimed "spiritual leaders"!

a truly sad story indeed!!.............and yet, they persist.........undaunted, "un-embarrassed", unconcerned with the welfare of the world they supposedly are "called and ordained of god" to love, serve, and genuinely minister to!...................their self-constructed institutions become that which must be served and made to survive, not their fellow human beings!................."ever learning and never coming to a knowledge of the truth"............ever earning and never feeding the poor...........ever preaching, yet never really doing the things jesus did and said they too should do!

i do not "rejoice in their iniquity"..........i do not pity them, for they deserve no pity, but rather contempt for their unyielding stubborness, unforgiving selfishness, and unending repetition of the same misguided delusions that have led so many of their ilk down the same shameful path of self-destruction, and not contributing much of anything really helpful, beneficial, or uplifting to the rest of the real world!

so.........looks like the answer to the questions i started asking back on 10/01/2007 is one huge, loud, roaring, neverending "NO!"....................peace.

Dont allow the failures of people to stop our ministry?

really John? SO ya know the person who is capable of hurting other people because "they failed" to the degree the BIBLE says they should be stoned to death in Gods wisdom and worse is just alright with you? that is scary.

How come you do not give them money then? how come they aint staying in your living room giving a "teaching"?

People who are azzholes to me are not allowed in my life, but then again I do not have a problem with it because I aint asking them to pay my rent in life either .

When Jesus Christ stopped the stoning of the women who slept around he asked who here has no sin NOT well we all do it I got ya covered woman.

He also didnt ask her for money for the rest of his life nor did he invite her to live with him and be with those he taught daily.

He told her to go away actualy and do not ever sin again.

You want those guys to repent , they want you to repent, what a freaking word repent how about change not one of you will change for the other so just get the he11 away from one another and allow the real Jesus to be who you depend on.

I promise you He is the nicer guy .

I heard the iron sharpens iron crap non of you guys got any iron sorry to say lol seriously. thats what you get for being proud of being a geek for far to long.

love is the iron you boys just want to cat fight and bi1ch slap one another.

this is about money sure emotions are involved and the OMG he sinned bigger stick but it is about money .

And Power. The power to tell people they have to stay with you, Jesus never did He just did his own thing and loved those He worked with and His ministry worked out ok .

Paul talked about people doing him harm but I got to say that guy murdered so many folks he most probably had it coming .

the man was in jail a lot I guess maybe you do not consider His failures to please the people as a problem .

so live it dude but man you can not have your cake and eat it as well . Paul thought he was blessed he didnt complain knowing darn well he was a massive azz hole in real life. he was ashamed of who he was (should have been) and that was why He sought the ministry.

not you your good because of all you have done and because Jesus was raised from the dead ok I will buy that brother so is the board of STF then right?

or are you the lone ranger ? I do not think so.

Btw, some months ago (maybe a year or so ago) JAL tried his hand at posting a blog on the WC site. The notable thing IMO to that blog is the tone he took. The majority of the members of that site were/are at least 50 years old. Yet JAL was writing (preaching/teaching) as if he was talking to new recruits or young people just setting out to find their path in life. We were all (or most?) at that place in our lives sometime... but how MANY years ago!!!???

Needless to say, since none of the people who read that blog post were newbies, there was plenty of feedback. And it wasn't all sweetness and thankfulness for JAL's kindness in sharing his wisdom with us. Many of the comments were calling him out for being so pompous. It wasn't long before Mr. Lynn just stopped responding to the "confrontation." After all, we were not being "meek" to the "truth" he was setting before us.

John Lynn IS gifted. He's gifted as a performer, an entertainer. His video clip hawking the SAT prep class demonstrates that he can effectively use words and body language to communicate concepts such that the listener/audience will retain the message after the performance is finished.

But just like sincerity is no guarantee for truth (after all, Wierwille convinced all of us he was sincere, didn't he?), so too is it true that being a gifted entertainer/communicator is no guarantee for truth.

Edited by Rocky

Ecclesiastes 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Is there no end to the mudslinging essays from these people?

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

I "fear God" has got bored with these people and is just letting them get on with it. Maybe when they've stopped squabbling, there might be some scope for Him to say a quiet word or two? Meanwhile, this row doesn't seem to involve anything to do with HIm.

Edited by Twinky

I pray for a quiet and peaceful spirit for my self.

John Lynn you have one very big mouth in which to use many words good LOrd man I hope you can enjoy your gift because it does seem weary to me .

ok I have a little something something to consider with all your facts of the case.

Mark G is suing YOU John Lynn why not disclose to the STF all the facts and figures in that ordeal?

If it is all about being righteous and all hmm?

just saying .

still lol

and a little bit of tears along with it all through the years my brothers .

we are all crazy Im convinced but lets carry on we must not know any freaking better , good lord good lord.

sigh

I've been thinking about this for awhile.....I know John so maybe that makes it move intriguing for me, I'm not sure. He and I have discussed this stuff in his life and we don't agree, but that's ok and that's not even the point.

I see so many tired of his story and even more so his telling of it and I get that too.

I think it's cuz he's "John Lynn" the former TWI celebrity figure, author, etc., et al., yes? We certainly wouldn't be hearing of Mr and Mrs Joe Smoe in such volume, nor would we care to, likely. By being who he is, perhaps he's held to more public critique and scrutiny and discussion.

I also understand his tenacity (?) to continue to beat what seems so obviously a dead animal; I do that when something isn't done for me, or isn't settled where I need it to be and it's freakin annoying to those that care about me, I know this.

So what is the answer? I'd offer what has been said here in the realms of "for cryin out loud, get over it, move on, yer killin' us here, John" but that might not work for John.

We have those that were in TWI leadership roles that we remain interested in, remain in longing for news on and remain fascinated by the discussion of. I'm not sure why John is one, except that he moved from one leadership capacity into another one and maybe the lessons have repeated; I'd vote yes on that one.

I'm more than ready to let John and his family live their lives and leave them the heck alone, sure. I'd love to yak with him on the phone about my own stuff, or visit with him about the simple things of this life like grandchildren and funny stuff.

I wonder if so long as a man is held under certain standards if he doesn't feel like he then HAS to rise to them and HAS to give answers. If we engage, he'll engage. The celebrity who feel obligated to his fans to show up and sign autograph's and give interviews kinda thing.

I tend to see John as just a man, like any other and maybe that's why I'll never really get it.

• Upvote 1