GreaseSpot Cafe

Debunking vp’s “accuracy and integrity of the Word”

T-Bone

All of this has been said before and since many times in various ways. Nothing new, but the composition, the phrasing was fun to read while waiting for my appointment -- especially those you mention.

This from Oakspear is especially well-articulated.

"Wierwille starts off by hammering on the theme of The Word is true, is faithful, is without error etc. Then he shows you that in modern translations there are errors, but then miraculously, through the power of research, solves the problem and voila! no errors. He spends a lot of time contrasting what mainstream churches teach with what he reads for us in black and white, all the while deriding the priests, popes and theologians for teaching otherwise, undermining our trust in anyone other than him! We hardly notice when he stops reading exactly what is written and starts slipping in his own interpretations, and most of us never realize that he's making up definitions and referring to texts and documents that exist only in his mind."

•  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The accuracy and integrity of the Word." This phrase might have been the first one to cause a raised eyebrow and a "huh?"

"So accurate!...Wow, the accuracy... Mmmmmph, the way it just fits together -- it's so accurate!...mmmmph...."

I heard this bullshonta constantly. I never inquired of anyone in fellowship about it, because I knew it would be bullshonta on bullshonta with sprinkles on top. What I've always wanted to ask is, accuracy by what measure?

I was in San Francisco for Mother's Day and made my supernatural brownies for Mom. When I bake, I use a scale. I find it makes all the difference, because baking involve ratios -- accuracy and precision matter. I can measure the mass of the sugar and flour and chocolate and butter with accuracy by using a scale. That's why I can say I'm accurate with the amounts.

(Volumetric measurements have too much variance. A cup of flour may weigh 128g or 145 or 157... depending on how you fill that cup.)

When at the shooting range, I know how accurate my shots are based the holes in the target. The accuracy of the shot is measured against the target.

But, the accuracy of the Word? Accurate by what measure? Compared to what? Says who? Which scale? Which target?