GreaseSpot Cafe

Being on HQ Staff isn't what it's cracked up to be!

Linda Z

In the "TWI current numbers?" thread, OldSkool posted the following. I think it deserves its own thread.

I can't say what "official numbers are" but I can say that they were having a REAL problem staffing HQ. The first year this became an issue during placements, there were a series of meetings held to generate ideas to face this problem. Basically, the Prez Cab was the lightning rod and took the blame from RFR for not promoting Staff properly. Nevermind that all of the Cabinet only have oversight for their little fiefdom in the cornfields. No direct control over hiring, or promotion, or human resources! I digress.

The Prez Cab were then asked for their ideas how to remedy the problem. There were a lot of different ideas from the Cabinet, with the more obvious ones, such as addressing the glaring lack of incentives to serve on Staff, receiving censure and subsequent reproof sessions in the days to come because they were too concerned with carnal matters. In the end some crappy DVD was made by a sub-committee and sent out to the fellowships, that was designed to showcase the BENEFITS of being on Staff. The obvious slant was people on the field were too deceived, too concerned with worldly matters, or too stupid to know all the spiritual blessings that awaited them working 46+ hours for peanuts and living in some crappy modular home, or worse yet, in some ultra crappy dorm. The purpose was to inspire them with all the benefits the testimonials on the DVD were to point out. They had current Staff members interviewed. Only select Staff, of course, because there is plenty of discontent around that place - and that is no secret.

To me this is indicative of plummeting numbers! (and lack of interest for getting systematically screwed by the BOD.) Haven't they ever understood that the laborer is worth of his hire?

It just goes to show you that all the PR in the world (DVDs, RFR's fake smile on stage or her voice [eek, I can still hear that voice] on a tape, the TWI PR guy's BS, etc.) can't forever hide what it's really like to be on staff at HQ. The truth had to catch up with them eventually.

I got my first clue about being on HQ staff in August of 1982 when Emogene Allen herded all new bookstore and Way Pub staff into the bookstore like first graders, had us sit on the floor, and proceeded to stand over us yelling about how HQ wasn't our mother and that we'd darn well better find and get settled into our housing over the weekend between Corps Week and ROA...and we were already working that weekend, I might add. (This was before everyone was forced to live in a trailer or dorm.)

All incoming staff had been sent a letter about a month earlier asking questions like, "Do you want to live on grounds or off?" "Would you like to live with others or by yourself." "What kind of furniture do you need?" I forget the rest, but the letter gave the distinct impression that since we'd all be new to the area, someone would at least give us suggestions on where to find housing, etc. Then we got yelled at for thinking such a thing. It was bizarre, to say the least.

I still remember the WTF looks one of my friends in the 9th Corps and I exchanged sitting there on the bookstore floor. What a welcome!

If it was bizarre under EA's rule, that era was nothing compared to how it became when the regime of RFR began!

I have to get to work now, but I'll have more to say later.

I know there are a lot of ex-staff here. How was it for you?

I kept my Founder's door locked and a baseball bat next to my bed.

A number of folks they allow on Staff aren't exactly all there.

When I was single and living there several years back there was a LOT of casual sex happening in that place. I guess that's what happens when you have a coed dorm.

When I was single and living there several years back there was a LOT of casual sex happening in that place. I guess that's what happens when you have a coed dorm.

Was this mentioned as one of the beni's of being on staff? <_<

I remember being asked what we needed for our income for living on a "needs basis" and being surprised at getting a clothing allowance that exceeded what I'd spend on groceries in a month for two people, but then 6 weeks later being cut a check for $600 to get two bus tickets and a new apartment in a strange city because we'd been told we had 8 hours to get off grounds. (Oh, and this was in 1997 - not that long ago... and not a time or place when $600 could get you more than a roach motel.)

Edited by ChasUFarley

:)

Z

Haven't they ever understood that the laborer is worth of his hire?

It's pretty dense if they don't. Ive known since I could grasp any employment concepts that if you want good work to be done you have to pay (and treat) your workers well.

Its not exactly the greatest secret in the world :wacko:

When I was on staff, we were told it was challenging to be there, that we had to be strong. This was purportedly because our mission was so important that the devil was always trying to get in our way. In reality, it was challenging to be on staff because there were many people in positions of authority who had no business supervising anyone.

My first department coordinator was great. He expected us to do the best work possible and meet deadlines--what any good boss expects--but he had a sense of humor and treated the people under him with respect and grace.

That all changed when our department was handed over to the woman who's now at the head of the whole organization. Boy, did it ever change!

Imagine being a grown man or woman and having your department "coordinator" require you to put your name on a sign-out sheet every time you needed to go to the bathroom, the snack shop, whatever. The smokescreen she put up for this little piece of legalism when we protested was (delivered in that fake-sweet Southern drawl most of us here are familiar with), "So if anyone calls for you, we know where you are."

Oh, please. Like a caller couldn't wait 10 minutes and call back? Like the receptionist couldn't take a message so you could return a call if you were away from your desk for a few minutes? RFR had been a teacher before her meteoric rise through the TWI hierarchy, and apparently she thought she was back at the school, needing to control every moment of every day of every person in her department.

I used to ask, "If what we're doing here is so important (and I believed then that it was), why can't we be treated as adults?" I never got a reasonable answer to that question.

I discovered quickly after going on staff that VPW had a habit of putting some very strange people in charge of some very big responsibilities. When I questioned a cabinet member once about his judgment re: some of these people, I remember being told, "Well, you have to take people's shortcomings along with their strengths." That's true to an extent. Nobody's perfect, and I've rarely had a boss whose every action or decision I've liked. But at HQ that was an excuse for people being put in supervisory positions because they were good at kissing VPW's butt, not because they were good at motivating or coordinating anyone.

Don't get me wrong. Not everyone on HQ staff was a jerk. There were many fabulously loving, diligent, good people there. Some of those good people were even lucky enough to have gracious, smart supervisors, but too many of them had bosses who treated them like children or worse and didn't have a clue about how to get the job done.

I didn't mind working for relatively low wages (I wouldn't call them "slave wages" as some have; mine wasn't that bad). I had done that before when I was working for people who couldn't pay more but whose product or service I believed in. Just having graduated from the Corps a year before I went on staff, I had no debts and could afford to live on a pretty small salary.

I certainly wasn't there for the money. I was there because I thought I was helping people by contributing to something important. However, when I got an up-close look at some of the people I'd seen from afar as "pillars of the church," and when I got a taste of the creeping legalism that was poisoning the place, I was floored.

They're having trouble recruiting staff? No wonder. The person in charge may put out PR vibes about a "kinder, gentler" time in twi. I don't believe it for a second. Perhaps they've had to loosen the vice-grip of control over people to keep everyone from jumping ship, but trust me, there's little that's kind or gentle about the top dog of twi. When viewed from a distance she may seem like a sweet, rather odd old woman, but beneath that grey, curly perm there's a master manipulator.

The very fact that Rosalie Fox Rivenbark was able to scoot all the way to the top of the twi ladder--and that she's stayed there for so long--speaks volumes and volumes to me. Her powers of manipulatoin and her love for legalism have been well known for decades now, and this is who the people have allowed to bully her way to the top of the pile? The fact that she's remained in a position of power for as long as she has tells me she out-Foxed them all!

I know I proabably sound bitter. I'm really not anymore. I'm amazed that RFR hasn't managed to destroy what little is left of twi, but I'm not a bit surprised that they're having trouble recruiting staff. What's the incentive? The low wages? The endless string of mandatory meetings week after week? Being treated like you're 6 years old or mentally handicapped? What's not to love?!?!?

Actually, I recommend going on staff for anyone who's on the fence about staying in twi or leaving. It can be a real eye opener. :B)

They're having trouble recruiting staff? No wonder. The person in charge may put out PR vibes about a "kinder, gentler" time in twi. I don't believe it for a second. Perhaps they've had to loosen the vice-grip of control over people to keep everyone from jumping ship, but trust me, there's little that's kind or gentle about the top dog of twi. When viewed from a distance she may seem like a sweet, rather odd old woman, but beneath that grey, curly perm there's a master manipulator.

No, the changes that were made were not to get people to stay. Maybe we should take what I am about to write into another thread?

In 1999/2000, when the Allen lawsuit was in full swing, TWI invited two cult experts to come to HQ. They spent quite a bit of time interviewing Staff and observing. The Staff were told of this at a noon meal and instructed to comply with the interviews and be honest and open. A short time after this "sweeping" changes came down the pike. Now whether this resulted from the cult experts or advice from their lawyers I can't say. Maybe the timing was a coincidence - I can only speculate. Here's a list of some of the changes. Some of these changes happened before the cult experts but were certainly a result of the lawsuit.

- Staff were no longer required to turn in a weekly schedule of their personal time with a corresponding actual. (many Staff were raked over the coals for not following their proposed schedule but that is another story)

- Attendance at the noon meal was no longer mandatory. It was however strongly encouraged, and nearly mandatory in effect.

- Attendance at the STS was no longer mandatory. STRONGLY encouraged and to this day overtly coercive, and still required to see/hear each week.

- Staff were no longer required to get permission from their overseer to travel more than 30 miles away (past Lima to the north and Piqua to the south), nor to call their overseer if they made a change to their travel plans during their off-work time.

- Additionally, anytime a big class/big event was going on, staff were previously not allowed to travel beyond St. Marys--only 10 minutes away.

- Before: Any health issues, medical conditions, etc., even down to a runny nose, were to be reported via a note, on paper, to the employee's immediate overseer and updated on every 24 hours. After: Absolutely NO health conditions were to be written on paper and reported on; however, you could still consult your overseer for advice if desired. I guess someone taught them about HIPPA.

- Staff were no longer required to consult with their overseer for advice before they went to see a medical doctor.

- The "pregnancy policy" (no Way Corps women under the age of 35 were "allowed" to have a baby without approval) was dropped. Afterward, there was a huge baby boom at headquarters and a running joke that "there must be something in the water." YIKES! RUN, DON'T WALK...RUN!

- Employees were previously required to work a minimum of 50 hours a week, with no set maximum number of hours. Most employees worked about 52-55 hours, so that they could do "above the minimum." Then, the hours changed to a maximum of 46 hours per week, and nothing over that could be done without approval from Pres Cab/Directors.

- Staff were no longer assigned so-called volunteer responsibilities for the Sunday service, classes, events, etc. To volunteer for a responsibility, now you needed to personally sign on a sign-up sheet. (Before, your overseer assigned you and then you were informed what your "volunteer" responsibility was.)

- Before: You had no idea how much money you'd be making. You could turn in your estimate of your "need," and then you were informed if your request was too high and then told what your salary would be. After: Those approved to come on staff were sent a letter of invitation to work at The Way and told what department they'd be in as well as how much money they'd be making.

No doubt there were other changes made I just can't think of anymore at this time. But here's the kicker and pay attention here. In 2008, I heard from a first hand witness, that RFR said to the Pres Cab in a meeting that "she hates all the changes that have been made". If I understand correctly the person said this rant was in response to one of the HQ clergy attending their kids ballgame instead of going to the STS. The preferred (and coerced method) is for the mother to goto the event when it clashes with the service and the father to stay back to support the service. Apparently, RFR was livid that this happened and went on quite a long tirade that was somewhat incoherent. Yes there are forced changes that RFR and others wish had never happened. On the cover these changes appear to be a result of RFR making the ministry better - in reality they were forced by the law and she hates them and would prefer the old days before the Allen lawsuit.

Edited by OldSkool

A "cult expert"???????? Perhaps this was an efficiency expert or even a couple of attorneys? I would think a "cult expert" would recommend shutting the place down altogether.

Aren't the individuals "employed" at TWI called "volunteers?" Because mandatory working hours over 40/week would be illegal I would think. Unless they are paid overtime for any over 40.

WG

A "cult expert"???????? Perhaps this was an efficiency expert or even a couple of attorneys? I would think a "cult expert" would recommend shutting the place down altogether.

Aren't the individuals "employed" at TWI called "volunteers?" Because mandatory working hours over 40/week would be illegal I would think. Unless they are paid overtime for any over 40.

WG

Yes, I said cult experts. It may be worded a little less professional than their field is called, but that is what they were. It's been almost 10 years and I can't remember exactly who they were or the nuances of their fields title. Sorry.

46 hours are mandatory because they are paid a very meager hourly wage with the last six hours paid at time and a half. They aren't volunteers in the sense that the way corps are called volunteers. Human Resource related matters at HQ are, on the surface, very much like any other non-profit corporation. Paid time off system, decent enough insurance, etc.

However, the staff are expected to volunteer time to put on the service and other events. It is looked on very unfavorably if you don't volunteer. It usually would make you a target of department coordinator / presidents cabinet having a series of talks with you about the issue if you didn't volunteer.

Edited by OldSkool

Though I may be wrong, I believe that, legally, 46 hours is the maximum that workers of such a 'non-profit' organization can work during any given week. To give the appearance of this restriction not being a legally-enforced restriction, it was explained that the extra 6 hours a week (beyond the normal American 40) is considered to be the staff's 'Abundant Sharing' (15 % of 40 being 6). Very convenient that these percentages lined up--otherwise, TWI would have to redefine abundant sharing for staff members.

Also, according to the legal jargon governing these things, only those whose responsibilities are abnormal compared with the rest of the individuals in their department and those with 'oversight' responsibilities are permitted to exceed this 46. This may or may not be limited to a certain percentage of the workers. However, I do know that in practice this allows leadership to request an excess of 50 hours weekly from (1) Department coordinators, cabinet members and above, and (2) At least one member of a section/department which may contain three or less people.

Again, I may be wrong, but this is what I recall from the new rules being put in place.

Finally. . . regarding some of the staff being 'Not all there' . . . is true now more than ever. Maybe I see this now because I'm getting older and seeing these individuals with a more enlightened view, or maybe its because these new hirees are the only ones willing to work in such environments.

Though I may be wrong, I believe that, legally, 46 hours is the maximum that workers of such a 'non-profit' organization can work during any given week. To give the appearance of this restriction not being a legally-enforced restriction, it was explained that the extra 6 hours a week (beyond the normal American 40) is considered to be the staff's 'Abundant Sharing' (15 % of 40 being 6). Very convenient that these percentages lined up--otherwise, TWI would have to redefine abundant sharing for staff members.

That sounds like some of the garbage they would spoon feed the Staff to explain the change. Believe me though they did it for compliance with established employer requirements.

Also, according to the legal jargon governing these things, only those whose responsibilities are abnormal compared with the rest of the individuals in their department and those with 'oversight' responsibilities are permitted to exceed this 46. This may or may not be limited to a certain percentage of the workers. However, I do know that in practice this allows leadership to request an excess of 50 hours weekly from (1) Department coordinators, cabinet members and above, and (2) At least one member of a section/department which may contain three or less people.

Again, I may be wrong, but this is what I recall from the new rules being put in place.

You are correct. There are several classification for Staff. full time and exempt being the two in discussion here. If you are exempt you have to fall into established criteria to qualify. Manage so many people, job requirements are so and so, etc. There are a lot of Staff who are exempt. I don't think very many of them get the idea though. For example I knew one department coordinator who thought she needed to work exempt hours....lol

Each cabinet area has an overtime bank that can be used with PC approval for up to 52 hours. Anything over 52 hours needs BOD approval and you get double time. Standard pay is 40 hours a week, standard time and a half = hours 40 through 46, overtime is 46 to 52, extra special overtime is anything over 52. That is how it works for full time staff.

If your exempt it doesn't matter you just work till you go home. Although if you work extra hours in another area outside your normal responsibilities you get compensated.

Edited by OldSkool

Man, there was a time I thought they would take me onto staff. The prospect was dismal. I had to go lots of long walks in the hills to wrestle my mind round the thought of it.

Anyway, they dropped me instead. That was dire. Very dire.

Mildly interesting to ponder which would have been worse.

Glad I'm out. :dance:

OldSkool, thanks for bringing us up to date. I've had no contact with anyone at HQ since 1989, so this was all new info to me.

Interesting that they brought in "cult experts!" I wonder if it was those Scientology people who took over some anticult group? (Didn't that happen at one point, or am I loopy?)

What you heard that RFR said behind closed doors about hating the changes is sooooooo like her. She's such a phony. I've posted before that she used to tell the department receptionist to lie if VPW called for her, saying she didn't know where Rosalie was. And for public consumption she smiled and nodded at Craig, but behind his back it was clear she had little use for him. I'm not surprised to see she hasn't changed.

Today I work in a corporate environment. Some micromanaging goes on at work sometimes, but no one tries to run my life on my time. If anyone told me I had weekly mandatory meetings at night and on weekends, I'd show them my "Been there" T-shirt and start looking for another job!

When I signed on to work on staff, I had no inkling how little time I'd have for living life outside the confines of twi hq, or I wouldn't have done it.

Probably the most revealing remark RFR ever made to me was during one of my annual evaluations. I told her that with all the meetings and extra work hours, I had no time for myself, to simply read the Bible and study on my own. Her answer: "You don't need to do that. You [because I worked on the Way Mag and other publications] are reading the Word all day at work every day." Pretty strange thing for an uppity-up in a Biblical research organization to say.

Twinky, count your lucky stars. I couldn't wait to join HQ staff when I got that assignment. Silly me!!

OldSkool, thanks for bringing us up to date. I've had no contact with anyone at HQ since 1989, so this was all new info to me.

Your welcome. And how blessed you are for no contact with anyone from HQ since 89.

Interesting that they brought in "cult experts!" I wonder if it was those Scientology people who took over some anticult group? (Didn't that happen at one point, or am I loopy?)

Hard to say but I don't think so. There were two people who were regarded as experts in their field. Not sure they were part of a group. If I had to guess I would say they were there because of their defense attorneys endeavoring to save their sorry, RICO facing butts.

Probably the most revealing remark RFR ever made to me was during one of my annual evaluations. I told her that with all the meetings and extra work hours, I had no time for myself, to simply read the Bible and study on my own. Her answer: "You don't need to do that. You [because I worked on the Way Mag and other publications] are reading the Word all day at work every day." Pretty strange thing for an uppity-up in a Biblical research organization to say.

Ya, they still regard their written publications as the written word and as such above reproach because it's proven ministry research - whatever the hell that means.

Probably the most revealing remark RFR ever made to me was during one of my annual evaluations. I told her that with all the meetings and extra work hours, I had no time for myself, to simply read the Bible and study on my own. Her answer: "You don't need to do that. You [because I worked on the Way Mag and other publications] are reading the Word all day at work every day." /quote]

Boy, this gave me shivers! A friend of mine who was on their HQ staff also went to his overseer. His wife had a new-born baby, and a son too young to join their co-op for kids (missed it by just a few months). He worked shifts. They were doing everything they could do to keep it together. After complaining, and asking for an exception, he told me that his leadership basically reproved them and her for not following the structure set up and made them take LCM's 'Believer Family Class' tapes together. They asked for help, and they were punished for it. I hope they're doing well.

Patriot, that doesn't surprise me.

I remember Donna M screaming at all the staff women at lunch one time, saying that they should be able to work full-time, manage their homes, care for their children, blah blah blah, without complaint. The bottom line was (paraphrased, but this was her point), "If you think you have too much to do around here, tough. Shut up and do it, and you'd better have a freakin' smile on your face while you're at it!"

Her shout-fest wasn't well received by the moms, given that she had housekeepers, nannies, drivers, etc., and she wasn't even working full-time. She was too busy hanging out with her BFF RFR. :wink2:

Like, "The Art of Followship," about the joys and pleasures and godly satisfaction of obedience to your husband?

From these stories it is amazing to me that anyone at all ever works there.

It sounds like anyone would be better off being a convenience store clerk, a pizza tosser, slinging beers at the local pub or doing anything at all rather than putting up with all that nonsense.

I have never worked at twi-hq. I am curious about a couple things.

Were taxes such as: Federal, State, Social Security, Medicare, or any type of retirement, etc. deducted from pay checks?

One of the things that is very glaring when I receive my annual report from social security that shows a lifetime of recorded income, is the low point in my earnings was during my "wow" year. I will always wonder how much this adversly affect my social security check (If social security is still around. This is a debate for a different time) when I am eligible to start drawing social security.

I wonder how many people will have financial troubles due to small social security checks they will receive due to the time of working for twi when it comes time for retirement. This could be an example of twi ruining lives now and later on in life.

Were taxes such as: Federal, State, Social Security, Medicare, or any type of retirement, etc. deducted from pay checks?

Yes. Taxes were deducted and they were pretty good at getting the deduction right for you family size, etc.

One of the things that is very glaring when I receive my annual report from social security that shows a lifetime of recorded income, is the low point in my earnings was during my "wow" year. I will always wonder how much this adversly affect my social security check (If social security is still around. This is a debate for a different time) when I am eligible to start drawing social security.

They have a 401k there that you can choose to participate in or not. They match 2 to one but the amount you can contribute is extremely low. Also, you make very little money working there so you really can't afford it anyway.

I wonder how many people will have financial troubles due to small social security checks they will receive due to the time of working for twi when it comes time for retirement. This could be an example of twi ruining lives now and later on in life.

More of them will have trouble by not having any form of retirement savings. I know of a Region Coordinator (currently in Texas now) who has been known to tell people that broach the subject of retirement and savings with him, that he and his wife plan to live with believers when they retire. More accurately stated "we plan to live off other's retirements who are in TWI and will take us in".

More of them will have trouble by not having any form of retirement savings. I know of a Region Coordinator (currently in Texas now) who has been known to tell people that broach the subject of retirement and savings with him, that he and his wife plan to live with believers when they retire. More accurately stated "we plan to live off other's retirements who are in TWI and will take us in".

I find it interesting that he is not expecting retirement from twi.

Please correct me if I am not understanding this correctly. Due to twi's debt policy, few twi followers will "own" a home, let alone a home that "exceeds their needs" as a result the possibility of this "region coordinator" moving into a house that is owned by a twi follower is slim. Most people who have "room mates" have room mate for financial reasons (Other than family or romantic). With that being said, this "region coordinator" may have a hard time finding a twi follower that will have room mates who can not pay their fair share of the expenses. It seems to me that this "region coordiantor" is setting himself up for failure later on in his life.

Or are the twi followers he is referring to ar his children?