GreaseSpot Cafe

Jaycee and Captivity

Imagine

No I don't think, generally, people speak favorably and yes I think they syndrome very much applies. One will do whatever one has to do in their given situation to survive and/or get by, to reach some "normal' that works until other options might arise.

We, on the outside looking in to another's life, have no idea what has been said to them, what fear was instilled in their brain or what they believe of what they were told.

Survival is a powerful thing.

As for TWI, people honestly believe they don't have another option, they might have kids to keep a roof over, they might have to do whatever they have to do until they don't.

I also think that it's not for anyone who's not lived their life to assume anything, judge any action or opine on them or their situation, be it a religious situation or other captivity.

Edited by Shellon

Do you think this syndrome applies to people in the way or those who haven gotten out of the way?

Do people speak favorably toward those that keep them in bondage to a spiritually perverse system?

Yes to both questions. As part of the Fellow Laborer program, we were required to work full time at secular jobs while living in a commune styled compound. I think the inconsistancies were probably obvious to at least some of our non-Way coworkers. We frequently had to rationalize and justify our involvement to people at our jobs who had honest questions. I think, to some extent, it may partially explain why people can come to GSC after being out for several years, and still feel they have to justify the time and effort they put into a false endeavor back in "the good ol' days".