GreaseSpot Cafe

Demolish your human logic & speak the same thing

penworks

Hi Greasespotters:

In my files I recently found this page of propaganda written for VPW in the 1970s by a Corps grad - it is not copyrighted. I am posting it here because I think it illustrates the old "likeminded" dogma we heard all the time in TWI. But this thinking is not over yet. Recently I was told something like it from a TWI offshoot leader (I will leave his name out of this) who said "I am sorry about the strife that seems to constantly occur in the Body of Christ. Our best bet is to stay holy and stay obedient." I'm not sure who he includes in the Body of Christ, but I do believe he got this way of thinking from TWI in the old days when we thought "we" were unified...

The following is the retyped page:

II Corinthians 1:5 - A literal translation

Demolish your human logic from the high position to which you have lifted it vertically against the knowledge of God which you have known by experience. Be wise, lead captive everything to Christ which you attentively listened to and heard.

Retention statistics

25% of all people forget what they have learned in 24 hours

50% of all people forget what they have learned in 48 hours

15% of all people forget what they have learned in 96 hours

In 16 days practically everyone has forgotten what they have learned.

62% of ideas people accept and retain come with the 6th hearing.

Noteworthy notes:

“Now I beseech you brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.” I Cor. 1:10

Our ministry in the midst of our times is continually reminded of this verse. As believers of the Word, we must be in complete agreement when it comes to voicing The Word. It is vitally important for our leaders to “speak the same thing.” There may be occasional instances, however, where some of us disagree. In a case where there is not complete agreement among the believers, let us refrain from teaching our individual positions on that matter until we are sufficiently instructed so as to be in agreement. There are numerous areas where there is no question or controversy or disagreement. To prevent divisions in the body [implied to be the Way ministry] let us emphasize those areas where we agree and not publically discuss the areas of disagreement.

“Truth needs no defense.” How often have we heard this statement; yet how quickly do we endeavor to defend the truth of The Word when challenged by unbelievers and others. Since truth needs no defense, we should develop a strong offense in challenging those who question the truth. Error must be defended, and we of The Way ministry must develop the technique of challenging those who propound error. An effective strategy is to answer a question with a question. This shifts the burden of proof to the person who refutes the truth. The technique of following up a question with an answer in the form of a question is a great skill which must be developed and utilized as we hold forth the truth of God’s Word.

By (I am omitting his name) at the request of Dr. Wierwille.

Written in the 1970s by a Second Corps graduate (it wasn't me).

Edited by penworks

. . .

“Truth needs no defense.” How often have we heard this statement; yet how quickly do we endeavor to defend the truth of The Word when challenged by unbelievers and others. Since truth needs no defense, we should develop a strong offense in challenging those who question the truth. Error must be defended, and we of The Way ministry must develop the technique of challenging those who propound error. An effective strategy is to answer a question with a question. This shifts the burden of proof to the person who refutes the truth. The technique of following up a question with an answer in the form of a question is a great skill which must be developed and utilized as we hold forth the truth of God’s Word.

. . .

I think this was plagiarized from "Pompous Arse: 101"

Wow.

I read that stuff, and I can almost remember which class I heard it in. I guess I could go look in my boxes of Way syllabi to check it out...

Or I could try to put Christmas antlers on my ex's cat.

Both potentially painful and pointless experiences.

Well, not the cat thing, necessarily. :biglaugh:

.. .II Corinthians 1:5 - A literal translation

Demolish your human logic from the high position to which you have lifted it vertically against the knowledge of God which you have known by experience. Be wise, lead captive everything to Christ which you attentively listened to and heard.. .

.. ."Truth needs no defense." How often have we heard this statement; yet how quickly do we endeavor to defend the truth of The Word when challenged by unbelievers and others. Since truth needs no defense, we should develop a strong offense in challenging those who question the truth. Error must be defended, and we of The Way ministry must develop the technique of challenging those who propound error. An effective strategy is to answer a question with a question. This shifts the burden of proof to the person who refutes the truth. The technique of following up a question with an answer in the form of a question is a great skill which must be developed and utilized as we hold forth the truth of God's Word.. .

It's a shame I can't "Quantum Leap" back to the 1970s and respond to the propaganda

Dear Doctor Wierwille vp,

Greetings and emancipation from you in the wonderful name of the only thing that can save me from the ineffable greatness of mind-numbing cult-speak, raising Cain.

Just wanted to let you know, I was kinda with you until the part about "the knowledge of God which you have known by experience". To be honest with you I have yet to experience any of the benefits listed on the back of the PFAL signup card.

Oh, and another thing, truth may not need a defense but plagiarists & sex offenders do. The courts aren't too keen on a defendant answering a question with a question. Thought you might appreciate the heads-up.

out of your service

Thelonious Hyphen Bone

ps – tripped out, Trinitarian and lovin' it

Edited by T-Bone

25% of all people forget what they have learned in 24 hours

I want to be someone who forgets this within 24 minutes.

“Truth needs no defense.” How often have we heard this statement; yet how quickly do we endeavor to defend the truth of The Word when challenged by unbelievers and others.

"unbelievers and others"? Who are the others?...if they are believers, they wouldn't be challenging the the "truth of the word"...so who are the "others"???

sounds like the name of a rock band..."The Others"

"unbelievers and others"? Who are the others?...if they are believers, they wouldn't be challenging the the "truth of the word"...so who are the "others"???

sounds like the name of a rock band..."The Others"

Hmmmm.. .what if he was referring to the others. You know – "The Others". That's the last thing he'd want – some dead people showing up at a Twig saying "vp has got it all wrong."

107789_3.jpg