GreaseSpot Cafe

About Durn Time...

herbiejuan

Polar I suggest you

1) Measure the square footage of your garden area

2) Get your soil tested (your county extension service can do this for you

3) Ask said county agent to explain the soil test results in plain english and to figure out how much of any recommended ammendments should be added for your size garden

AND

4) Add those ammendments to your soil

Most plants require 6 - 8 hours of direct sunlight

Plant varieties adapted to your region and use least toxic mterials to control the buggies, no all buggies are bad and some of the most weird looking ones are actually beneficial insects, I think our gardening 101 course is online I'll check and see and if it is I'll post a link to it,

Happy growing

How cool! My sister-in-law is an organic farmer, and my husband and I hope to join or start our own intentional community one day. It is so awesome to know that there are many out there who are interested in sustainability. Kudos to your project - and good luck!

Thanks luna and Mark. Developing this program just made alot of sense since Carroll County is #1 in chicken and meat goat production and #3 in cattle in Georgia. Several of us met yesterday to formalize the West Georgia Wine Grape Growers Association (not necessarily the final name) Nitra just north of where I live used to be a major producer of wine grapes before prohibition and with several small wineries opening up in the area we decided it would be good to work together as a group to build this industry back. We have been hiking the woood looking for heritage vines and have found several *mother* vines that date back to the 1800's. We are particularly exciteed about our find as these viens ahve been tested and prove to be immune to Pierces disease and most other diseases (havind survived 100 yrs in the wild without any human caretaking) I've got @ 40 cutting budding and as a gorup we ahve over 1000 so perhaps this too is off to a good start. I did not find the gardening 101 course online (that started out as a victory garden training project for our inmates) that @ 800 folks have taken so far but I do have some powerpoints from my Sustainable Growers School program that I will post online if/when I can figure out how to do so, The program won't answer all questions as it is in short note PPT form but when it's up if there are any questions you may email me Mike@thegrowersschool.org and I'll answer the questions the best I can.

Mikey

smells like sanity, Mikey...i wish you all the best. please keep keeping us updated as you can. i will certainly be following what you are doing from afar.

currently up to my elbows in sustainability, permaculture and vermiculture in the pacific nw...even got 4 local cafes to start redistributing their compostables to local lawn-to-garden experiments...one aim is to help relocalize some of our agriculture and medicine...and otherwise help redefine "dirt" and "waste" and such.

luna what a fine idea, a planned community, there is one in south fulton county called Serenbe, it is acutally a small town with a community farm and working farm, shops services residential homes and townhouses, its quite impressive I wish you good fortune in your venture. My schooling was in sustainable development Tugwells planned communities caught my eye as a cool way to work out the details before moving folks in.

Sir I also have a worm ranch, sometimes it takes me several hours to rustle them up for a fishing trip...municipal composting crossed my mind a few years ago, I think at somepoint in the future we'll institute that at the technical college, they are already catching rainwater and have a garden on the roof of one of their buildings.

Just found out yesterday that a local family is interested in purchasing the farm just south of here, converting part of it to a water quality institute (through the local U) and donating the balance @200acres to the program...

I'm just going with the flow at this point ;)

Edited by herbiejuan

Don't you just love it when such a great idea from inside your head actually comes together in real life....and little by little other folks see the wisdom in it and and want to join in? I think think this whole thing is so cool!! You done extremely good :knuddel:

Krys thans yes it is a wonderful feeling to see this thing take off, I think the timing of these projects with the economic mess we are in just made sense to those who have the power to change things, in some regards we have embarked on an economic redevelopment plan for the county, something thats been needed for some time, things just had to get bad enough for folks to want to make the change, kinda exciting eh?

• 1 month later...

At the request of the college and my own ambition I will be taking UWG's MPA program starting next spring. At the rate I am going I should have my Doctorate by the time I'm ready to retire...but with the local economic initiatives I'm involved with I shouldn't have much trouble staying busy during my *golden years*.

The West Ga. Winery Association took a winery tour yesterday and we are anticipating growing that industry here, we are also looking into building a cannery in Bowdon to augment the vegetable and meat production in the area...loads of fun for all involved