GreaseSpot Cafe

True Believers?

Someone recently asked what were the hallmarks of an "offshoot" leader. I found this quote in a book called The True Believer - Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements, by Eric Hoffer published in 1951 (before much was published about cults) and think it is apt for such a discussion. I've put a couple of my own comments in [ ]:

Pg. 150 : “...he cannot help being awed by the tremendous achievements of faith and spontaneity in the early days of the movement [nostalgia for the good old TWI days?] when a mighty instrument of power was conjured out of the void. The memory of it is still extremely vivid. He takes, therefore, great care to preserve in the new institutions an impressive façade of faith, and maintains an incessant flow of fervent propaganda, though he relies mainly on the persuasiveness of force [psychological not physical necessarily]. His orders are worded in pious vocabulary, and the old formulas and slogans are continually on his lips. The symbols of faith are carried high and given reverence [the Bible, the classes, etc.]. The men of words and the fanatics of the early period are canonized. Though the steel fingers of coercion make themselves felt everywhere and great emphasis is placed on mechanical drill [mindless repetition of verses, theological ideas], the pious phrases and fervent propaganda give to coercion a semblance of persuasion, and to habit a semblance of spontaneity.”

Edited by penworks

That's about it..

It almost sounds like a disease, or a diseased mind.. what then might be the cure?

I dunno.. maybe there is one place in the human psyche they either cannot, or are merely too terrified to look.. the prospect that they might actually be WRONG.

• 2 weeks later...
Pg. 150 : “...he cannot help being awed by the tremendous achievements of faith and spontaneity in the early days of the movement [nostalgia for the good old TWI days?] when a mighty instrument of power was conjured out of the void. The memory of it is still extremely vivid. He takes, therefore, great care to preserve in the new institutions an impressive façade of faith, and maintains an incessant flow of fervent propaganda, though he relies mainly on the persuasiveness of force [psychological not physical necessarily]. His orders are worded in pious vocabulary, and the old formulas and slogans are continually on his lips. The symbols of faith are carried high and given reverence [the Bible, the classes, etc.]. The men of words and the fanatics of the early period are canonized. Though the steel fingers of coercion make themselves felt everywhere and great emphasis is placed on mechanical drill [mindless repetition of verses, theological ideas], the pious phrases and fervent propaganda give to coercion a semblance of persuasion, and to habit a semblance of spontaneity.”

Heck, I read that, and I can _easily_ see that principle in mainstream and orthodox churches as well. ... But perhaps the reason why many folks don't see the same principle in their own churches kinda has the similarity to the principle to how we often readily see the sins and faults in other people, and yet have great difficulty seeing it in themselves and their own.

Heck, I read that, and I can _easily_ see that principle in mainstream and orthodox churches as well. ... But perhaps the reason why many folks don't see the same principle in their own churches kinda has the similarity to the principle to how we often readily see the sins and faults in other people, and yet have great difficulty seeing it in themselves and their own.

Not all of *us*..

Perhaps, but I did catch one of our pastors say out loud that what we were doing was indoctrination. I told him I was happy that he could be honest about it. And no, most don't see it in their situations, just other's.

In a nutshell :eusa_clap:

Though the steel fingers of coercion make themselves felt everywhere and great emphasis is placed on mechanical drill [mindless repetition of verses, theological ideas], the pious phrases and fervent propaganda give to coercion a semblance of persuasion, and to habit a semblance of spontaneity.”

I realized into the 3rd year in TWI everyone sounded very much the same. Stepford Wives

of Cults!

It is like a disease and if the CDC could put a label on this and warn people it may save lives physically,emotionally and spiritually.

Here's another TWI offshoot site, which is new to me, but others might know of it:

Faithful Stewards fellowship, Pres. Jim Melt*n

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChxLGnIwCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChxLGnIwCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChxLGnIwCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Best viewed in full screen)

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent book Penworks, I've read it a couple of times since I ran into it at a relative's house. It should be required reading. He also applies this to politics. Shows how it doesn't really matter whether its politics or religion - but that the "true believer" is dangerous. I still remember his quote: Once one is ready to die for the cause, he is also ready to kill for the cause (paraphrased). It is a truth. I think, if VP hadn't of died and LCM hadn't turned so many people off, TWI had a possibility of coming to that. That's why any type of elevation/cult/following/worship of a person or cause will always concern me.

Edited by Sunesis