GreaseSpot Cafe

Blood Drive at TWI

Belle

Ha ha ha! That actually looks real! Funny one there, hey.

If I lived in the area I'd love to show up - you know I'm on a list of those to be shot on sight - definitely not welcome at the Way - what could they do with the Red Cross folks there as witnesses...

Seriously, I guess they finally read here enough times about how real churches actually help the communities. Guess the Red Cross is benign enough for them to appear to be serving people.

They still don't fool me. This has got to be an attempt to fool the neighbors or something. This can't just be because they want to help anyone who hasn't given their life's savings over.

This has got to be an attempt to fool the neighbors or something.

I was thinking about the same thing---they're doing something to change their image to the locals...I have to wonder if its a "no strings attached" genuine community service thing or if they will use it as a 'witnessing opportunity' to pummel the weakened, dizzy and blood dificient with greencards or whatever the hell they do now...

I thought when I saw Belle’s post that this was going to be something that ought to be in Just Plain Silly!

I thought it was interesting that there is another also in NK the previous day, which invited people to attend – whereas the TWI one is rather baldly written. See the following notes:

Red Cross Blood Drive

Friday, Jan 8 12:00p to 6:00p

at New Knoxville American Legion, New Knoxville, OH

If you weigh at least 110 pounds and are in good health, you may be eligible to donate blood. To schedule an appointment, go to www.redcrossblood.org call 1-800 GIVE LIFE.

Red Cross Blood Drive

Saturday, Jan 9 8:00a to 2:00p

at The Way International, New Knoxville, OH

Follow signs at the East Shelby Road entrance.

So no appointments offered - is it not a public donation session? Or have all the appointments been filled already - by "volunteers" from staff and Wayfers in the area?

there is another possibility that i have heard of is a new "up and coming" thing with "closed ranks" groups and that is donating your own blood for your own self. i don't understand the "ins and outs" of how it works because it sounds like it doesn't have longevity (blood can be kept for only so long), but i've heard that people can "choose beneficiaries" (i don't know the right terminology for something like this) of who gets their blood donations, so maybe the way international is doing a blood drive to keep it all in the household? i don't know, really, but the way international is an aging group that shunned medical care and practiced whacko "health" activities for a long time, so maybe there are people now in need of blood transfusions, so maybe a blood drive is appropriate?

The following shows forthcoming donations within 25 miles of zip code: 45871, within: 25 miles, date range: any. (The zip code is for Corps mail, not HQ mail, in case you're wondering, but it would bring up a session at HQ itself)

http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation?distance[postal_code]=45871&distance[search_distance]=25&date[min][date]=&date[max][date]=&distance[search_units]=mile

(Info below, as some of it will probably auto-delete as dates pass)

Distance Date Time Location and Details

0.00 mi January 08, 2010 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM

American Legion 204 N. Mill Street New Knoxville, OH 45871

Donation Types: Blood, Double Red Cell Donations

20.16 mi January 09, 2010 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Shelter House Burkettsville 100 W. Main St. Burkettsville, OH 45310

Donation Types: Blood

10.96 mi January 11, 2010 11:30 AM - 6:30 PM

American Legion 8140 State Route 119 Maria Stein, OH 45860

Click here to schedule an appointment to donate

16.92 mi January 11, 2010 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM

American Legion 601 N. State Route 118 Coldwater, OH 45828

21.86 mi January 12, 2010 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Rite Aid Pharmacy-Russells Point

Site: Rite Aid 120 W. Main Street Russells Point, OH 43348

Donation Types: Blood

24.54 mi January 14, 2010 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Eagles 471

Site: Eagles Delphos 1600 East 5th Street Delphos, OH 45833

Click here to schedule an appointment to donate

19.48 mi January 19, 2010 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM

American Red Cross Allen County Chapter House Lima

610 S. Collett Street

Lima, OH 45805

...and so on...

Conspicuous by its absence, the session on Jan 9 is at HQ is NOT listed.

Maybe Brainfixed has a point...!

As a regular blood donor myself, I'm keen to encourage others to donate because I understand how needful it can be. A donor usually has no control over who may receive the donation - although it is possible to donate for intended future operations for oneself.

Points to ponder:

Question 1: would you donate your blood if you knew it would be used to benefit some of the head honchos at TWI?

Question 2: if you were to receive a donation and knew it was from (say) RFR, would you accept it?

(Edited cos the link didn't work)

Edited by Twinky

As a regular blood donor myself, I'm keen to encourage others to donate because I understand how needful it can be. A donor usually has no control over who may receive the donation - although it is possible to donate for intended future operations for oneself.

Points to ponder:

Question 1: would you donate your blood if you knew it would be used to benefit some of the head honchos at TWI?

Question 2: if you were to receive a donation and knew it was from (say) RFR, would you accept it?

(Edited cos the link didn't work)

I am, quite frankly, completely fed up with, and massively angry at how blood donations are being handled these days. NOT, mind you, the concept of being a donor. Before my surgery a few years ago they recommended two units of self-directed donation. Fair enough, until I found out that in CA I DO NOT get my blood...I get whatever they haul out of the bank and my donation is used to replenish any that might be used.

OK - maybe that's not so bad...but this one pi$$ed me to this day.

A colleague of mine had a daughter who contracted a vary rare leukemia, went right for the bone marrow...she exhausted all standard protocols and went on experimental protocols. Hospital (in Seattle) was looking for donor matches for more than blood type. Oddly enough I was a close enough match to donate. But NO NO NO....both California and Washington have laws - LAWS MIND YOU - forbidding directed donations, even in potentially lethal cases, except for immediate family members...she had no other matches other than mine...and she died...she died because someone decided to make sure blood was handed out based on some social rules rather than based on medical need.

Screw all of your blood donation rules. She died at 37 because of blood donation rules....social rules...

I am, quite frankly, completely fed up with, and massively angry at how blood donations are being handled these days. NOT, mind you, the concept of being a donor. Before my surgery a few years ago they recommended two units of self-directed donation. Fair enough, until I found out that in CA I DO NOT get my blood...I get whatever they haul out of the bank and my donation is used to replenish any that might be used.

OK - maybe that's not so bad...but this one pi$ed me to this day.

A colleague of mine had a daughter who contracted a vary rare leukemia, went right for the bone marrow...she exhausted all standard protocols and went on experimental protocols. Hospital (in Seattle) was looking for donor matches for more than blood type. Oddly enough I was a close enough match to donate. But NO NO NO....both California and Washington have laws - LAWS MIND YOU - forbidding directed donations, even in potentially lethal cases, except for immediate family members...she had no other matches other than mine...and she died...she died because someone decided to make sure blood was handed out based on some social rules rather than based on medical need.

Screw all of your blood donation rules. She died at 37 because of blood donation rules....social rules...

I am so sorry.

The rules are really screwy and frustrating. I gave blood a few years ago . . . I am healthy and the universal donor type . . . . but, because hubby had factor 8 as a teen. . . they threw my blood away. It is really insane that I could not give my blood to him when he was literally down 5 pints. . . .it is criminal that they would not take your blood.

That is just so sad.

The rules are really screwy and frustrating. I gave blood a few years ago . . . I am healthy and the universal donor type . . . . but, because hubby had factor 8 as a teen. . . they threw my blood away.

I wouldn't defend the strict rules that caused the particular problems of blood donations listed above, however...

It appears the rules are purposely overly strict in order to reduce the possibility that a blood donation will make a patient worse instead of better, especially since there are diseases in blood that are untestable, permanent, disabling or terminal. Sexual diseases lead the way, including AIDS.

A nurse told me that one reason they discourage donating for a particular person (that is, when blood goes to or comes from a person you know) is because the donor may not be free of diseases. For example: your husband needs blood and you talk your friend Gene into donation for him, not knowing that Gene sees prostitutes occasionally (he seems like such a nice guy...), is infected, and doesn't know it. They figure the love or guilt that would prompt Gene to donate won't work if he knows the blood won't go to hubby anyway. They conclude you're safer with a stranger's blood who gives out of general good will than someone closer to the patient. Some of the scenarios sound unlikely, but the idea is that they've probably happened somewhere sometime. You'd be more upset by getting a disease from a friend than by getting blood from a stranger.

Err on the side of caution. The folks making the rules really do want people to heal.

11 gallon donor, John

I have no doubt as to the good intention of your post...however...

I wouldn't defend the strict rules that caused the particular problems of blood donations listed above, however...

It appears the rules are purposely overly strict in order to reduce the possibility that a blood donation will make a patient worse instead of better, especially since there are diseases in blood that are untestable, permanent, disabling or terminal. Sexual diseases lead the way, including AIDS.

While that sounds all good - please note my blood was pre-screened. If I could not donate they never should screened me...but they did...only to refuse the directed donation. I was not a full marrow match - that's a whole other story - but I was a good match for her condition. I call BS on them for that move.

Err on the side of caution. The folks making the rules really do want people to heal.

I don't believe that for a second. They want your blood for whatever their ends are. That is my experience with the death of the daughter of a colleague of mine. The rules were social and by NO MEANS medical - since I was pre-screened.

I have no doubt the nursing staff who told you of those rules was correct...however I WAS PRE-SCREENED. That means I was CLEAN and a reasonable genetic match (NOT just a blood type match) for someone who was dying. She is dead and the social rules live on...and they KNEW she was dying. What the he[[ did she have to lose with my blood?!?!?!?!? Screened and clean...and even if it wasn't...she was dying...go find her in your christian heaven and ask her if she would have wanted the blood...

Think about this...they would have (and many times did) take my blood (although I don't know how much I've given over the years)...as long as it went into their bank...to be handed out at their discretion. They said NO DIRECTED DONATIONS...from TWO STATES...You, or any competent practitioner, cannot justify refusing a directed donation for medical reasons once pre-screened...

BTW her death story is posted on here from someone else...but much more sanitized than I am describing now.

I think it noble when people give blood...I am just sickened by the social process of selection about who gives to who...perhaps that kind of SELECTION just reminds me of the mentality of people who decide ARBITRARILY not medically...who gets blood and who does not...SELECTION...please step into the showers...we just want to wash all of the lice off with our new Zyklon-B soap

Read Geisha's post. They tossed her blood. If her hubby was going to get something from her blood he likely already had it - especially if you are talking about STD's and other body fluid transmitted diseases.

Edited by RumRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Once I got to help check heart rates and stuff for the old folks in NK with some other wayfers. I enjoyed it.

Rosie once announced twi gave a large sum of $ to the local Red Cross. Helps to get twi's name on something.

Just PR stuff. Like when they try to impress the BBB with Way Prod. Or gave something to BG U.

A wayfer is a liar by nature.

a blood drive at the way international how kind of them. they have been sucking blood from their followers for years! have they ever given any $$$$ for any relief efford anywhere in the world at any time ?? maybe green cards to haiti that will help ? the way international makes me sick !!!! just this weekend at my church in south florida all the weekend tithe was all sent to haiti relief all ot it!!!!! the way is a joke !

• 3 weeks later...

I hear more then one person was rejected from the Way, to give blood.

I know that they ask you a bunch of questions including sexual partners.

Also about military service and where you have been.

I also know they prick your finger and take a sample of your blood. If you

give the wrong answer on the 30+ questions or your blood has a disease the

Red Cross will not take your donation.

I have been giving blood since 9/11/2001. They encourage everyone to give

but only take the good blood.

Kind of makes you wonder if the lock box is alive and well......

copenhagen