GreaseSpot Cafe

Frozen in Time

Tzaia

If you take a look at hard-core fundamentalist groups, one of the things that stands out is how hard they work to retain the culture of their "heyday". Old Order Amish are a great example. What they fail to realize is that, at one time, their lifestyle was completely modern. What they are trying to hold on to is the synergy that was present at just past the peak of their persecution/growth and they have taken that to include the general culture of that era. Fundamentalist polygamist sects are the same way. Had Jim Jones not ordered the murder/suicide of his group, they would have (more than likely) stuck themselves culturally somewhere in the mid 70s once he was no longer there to provide an ongoing vision.

TWI has chosen the late 70s - early 80s as its place in time. You watch the videos and you're right back to that time in dress and culture. Past the "wonder" years and right as TWI was settling into the comfort of its own particular brand of legalism. It can't absorb anything that is socially or culturally relevant because it no longer has a visionary leader to interpret and exploit it for it.

I think that every religion and denomination suffers from this cultural time-warp until a visionary rises from within the ranks and shakes things up.

If you take a look at hard-core fundamentalist groups, one of the things that stands out is how hard they work to retain the culture of their "heyday". Old Order Amish are a great example.

Another good example are the Hasidic Jews, who manage to carry on their traditions while living in the middle of a huge metropolis (Brooklyn, NY).

Interestingly, very few individuals in this community break away from their parents' beliefs. I've always wondered why.

I suspect it's more a desire to "recapture the good old days" and capitalize

on the feelings back when everyone in twi was young, foolish and enthusiastic.

With modern information sources (the internet), the people are less foolish,

the people in twi are more than 20 years older, and they're certainly

less enthusiastic. So, these out-of-date fashions strike me as about as

relevant as (seen once on "Friends") a woman trying to catch a man's eye by

putting on her old cheerleader costume from back in high school, since

it never failed for her back then.

Another good example are the Hasidic Jews, who manage to carry on their traditions while living in the middle of a huge metropolis (Brooklyn, NY).

Interestingly, very few individuals in this community break away from their parents' beliefs. I've always wondered why.

I imagine because it's their connection to the past.

. . .

TWI has chosen the late 70s - early 80s as its place in time. You watch the videos and you're right back to that time in dress and culture. Past the "wonder" years and right as TWI was settling into the comfort of its own particular brand of legalism. It can't absorb anything that is socially or culturally relevant because it no longer has a visionary leader to interpret and exploit it for it.

I think that every religion and denomination suffers from this cultural time-warp until a visionary rises from within the ranks and shakes things up.

Pretty much my whole experience with twi involved listening the "adults" talk of this time. The glorious good times when vpw walked the earth. Back then the word worked and the blue book was understandable, I guess.

Now twi is just old farts trying to live vicariously through their children.

Many times if I see any picture or video from the 60s/70s/early 80s I get ....ed off, because it reminds me of twi. Just any photo, not even of twi. Even that new Pepsi commercial.

Pretty much my whole experience with twi involved listening the "adults" talk of this time. The glorious good times when vpw walked the earth. Back then the word worked and the blue book was understandable, I guess.

Now twi is just old farts trying to live vicariously through their children.

Many times if I see any picture or video from the 60s/70s/early 80s I get ....ed off, because it reminds me of twi. Just any photo, not even of twi. Even that new Pepsi commercial.

I take it you don't read much then about the Vietnam War, Watergate, The Civil Rights Movemant, or, worst of all, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. At least allow yourself to watch old M.A.S.H. reruns.

TWI has chosen the late 70s - early 80s as its place in time. You watch the videos and you're right back to that time in dress and culture.

You know, it seems like TWI and other similar groups have adopted the motto, "Polyester Forever!". Their rationale must be, "My clothes don't need to breathe as long as I do."

... I still LOVE 70's Classic Rock :dance:

Well, yeah, cuz it still rocks!

Of course they would romanticize about that era...that was when they made all their money...that they are STILL living off of.

"They" the organization made cash, course why would the followers, who gave up the right to their own money, be in "romanticize mode"? Stuck in the bargaining phase, I guess.

I take it you don't read much then about the Vietnam War, Watergate, The Civil Rights Movemant, or, worst of all, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. At least allow yourself to watch old M.A.S.H. reruns.

maybe . . . then there's my counterparts probably with the opposite "issue". They see old photos, they drool.

S.I.T. . . . good dog.

Edited by Bolshevik

TWI has chosen the pfal insurgence to bookmark its moment in history. Yet, they choose to ignore the national surge of the Jesus movement, the anti-establishment/anti-church sentiment, the "freedom from sin and sexual expression" in CFS classes, a self-righteousness with no boundaries approach, etc. Is there any wonder why twi doesn't want to turn the page to the chapters that follow??........chapters of disarray, disgust, and disavowal.

Frozen in time.........idols in the Old Testament represented moments "frozen in time." The idols of stone.......all praise to pfal and "father of it."

Is wierwille's statue still at twi??? <_<