GreaseSpot Cafe

My training is complete

I've faced Darth Vader; I am a Jedi.

Today at my company's Christmas party, I was sitting with 2 co-workers on the 96th floor of the John Hancock building in Chicago, and the conversation turned to where we grew up.

I was asked if I was from Chicago.

I said, "Yes, I've been here my whole life, except for 5 years when I lived in Portland, Oregon."

You know what the next question was - "What took you out there?"

I said, "It's a long, complicated story - I was in a religious cult."

Suprisingly, you'll not be treated like a freak as you may expect. I've "come out" to some people I know about my activities in a cult and nobody has thought I was weird as a result, at least to my face.

You'll also find there are others out there, many TWI-like cults are hurting people, and there are many others who share your experiences. Since leaving TWI, I'm sure you can comfort those who are considering leaving, or just feeling miserable in one if you wish, as you have the knowledge and experience in how to leave that way of life behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Their reaction was one of astonishment.

The one said, "No kidding??? Wow. Out of everyone I know, you are the one I would think least likely to have been in a religious cult."

And that was that. There were no more questions, and that line of conversation ended.

I've been friends with a group of 7 women for a few years. We all met when our kids were in elementary school together and became friends. We celebrate our birthdays together by going out to lunch. It's a lovely bunch of warm, intelligent, opinionated women who I thoroughly enjoy being around.

When we first got friendly, we got into a conversation about religion. I was still in TWI at the time, but wanted out. I knew it was going to be really difficult to explain it to them.

When we finally got around to telling each other what church or what religion we practiced, I said, "I'm in a cult!" Then I briefly told them about TWI, the early years, why I got in, why I didn't like it now, and why I was staying. They didn't blink. They asked some questions, but for the most part, it didn't phase them.

I told them when we got out, and we all drank a toast at lunch that day.

Last week, we had our annual Christmas luncheon. We were talking about places we'd been and I said something like "In 1974, when I lived in San Antonio..." One of them asked me what I was doing in San Antonio... a few of them smiled and said "the cult!" We all had a good laugh...

Hope R. color>size>face>

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

That is so funny because you don't know how many times I have been in conversations and I tell people, :Yes-I've lived in Ohio all my life---except for I was in Louisianna for one year and Washington for one year". Of course then ...So what took you out there?"

"I was in a cult."

Then they just say, "That's nice, anyways..."

I guess being in a cult these days is no big deal...