GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas Secession

ex70sHouston

Do you mean Brattleboro?--Ive only been there a few times but I love the marvelous eccentricity of that town..

I think I'd either go with The Peoples Republic of Brattleboro--or take em into Massachusetts...They'd add an interesting political twist--any town that has a law "all nudists must wear hats" tongue.gif is OK in my book

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/articles/2006/08/23/law_of_nature_prevails_in_vermont/

WOW! Is that a fun place to go during a summer vacation?who_me.gif

Brattleboro is a fun place, If I didnt live here I might live there--um ...or something like that :)

But, no, it was Bennington, something to do with ski revenue.

That would be odd since they are closer to the New York border than the NH border :P

Ha leave it to Vermont to keep things interesting

has Texas left yet?

I might secede one of these days--but it would mean printing money, developing policy and getting recognized by the United Nations-never mind making a flag and picking a national anthem....which takes up alot of time...A number of people have done it.

One of my favorites is the Kingdom of Talossa

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

or

I could just declare myself Emperor like our great Emperor Norton

Norton I

Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

-ALL HAIL!

nort1s.jpg

:anim-smile:

Edited by mstar1

Open season on armadillos.

What do they taste like? Does it go well with merlot?biglaugh.gif

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

So whats happening in Texas? Can we get an update ex70's?

meanwhile

Heres some Vermont Secession Music---200 Years is Long Enough by the Clayfoot Stompers

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

should we start a pool as to who leaves first?

Secession is silly. Perry is riding the popular topic. Typical politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_nominal_GDP

Cali has #1 economy in USA and 8th in the world

texas is #2 in usa and 13th in world

but i've always felt that these numbers are not accurate. It's pretty hard to measure what the benefit of being a State of the USA gives these 2 economies.

if Texas were to become a state, it would probably suffer a huge recession and it's currency would plummet.

I just don't see how it could even work.

if Texas were to become a state, it would probably suffer a huge recession and it's currency would plummet.

Uhhhh...don't look now, but Texas has been a state since 1845.

Edited by doojable

Secession is silly. Perry is riding the popular topic. Typical politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_nominal_GDP

Cali has #1 economy in USA and 8th in the world

texas is #2 in usa and 13th in world

but i've always felt that these numbers are not accurate. It's pretty hard to measure what the benefit of being a State of the USA gives these 2 economies.

There's a difference between the size of an economy and its prosperity. California is HUGELY in the red, whereas Texas is doing rather well. How that would change if Texas were able to secede is unclear.

Interestingly, states are required by law to have balanced budgets, because they aren't allowed to print their own money to cover reckless spending (as the Federal government is). Will Washington (D.C.) decide that California is "too big to fail" and force other states to subsidize it? I hope not, but it certainly seems in line with the present administration's desire to absolve abject failures of any responsibility for their actions by forcing successful enterprises to pay for them. :asdf:

George

because they aren't allowed to print their own money to cover reckless spending

You cannot Coin money. You, your town, your county or your state however CAN legally [/i]print [/i]its own money. It would defeat the purpose of regional economic growth if it were used for "reckless spending" (Who would ever accept it?) but they are allowed.

My town has its own Money. It works well in keeping the local and regional economy vibrant.

I dont understand why more places dont do it. That being said I still know that if..California...or other large states fail that the ripple effect would have some adverse effects even here 1000's of miles a way. Nobody and no states live in an economic vacuum.

How much business do Texas and California do annually? billions? Trillions?

I dont particularly like the idea of the possibility of propping up a failed state but its a lot cheaper in the long run than letting it fail