GreaseSpot Cafe

Couldn't think of another place to post this

Saw what I thought was a pretty good bumper sticker this AM. South Louisiana is about as Catholic as you can get. Now I don't really care about doctrinal issues, nor any one's particular bent on which denomination is better - but this one i thought was just a good statement on humans. Quoted per the sticker - don't slam the grammar please.

"I Am Thankful for the Thousands of GOOD Priests."

Dawned on me (sunrise is rare in my brain) that we always hear about the the priest busted with his altar boy or some such thing - but rarely hear about the ones who just go about their work. Reminds me of here - where we hear about all of the sins that the way corps committed and rarely about those who did something decent. Not that it doesn't happen - just was an interesting correlation in my addled little brain.

• Upvote 1

Saw what I thought was a pretty good bumper sticker this AM. South Louisiana is about as Catholic as you can get. Now I don't really care about doctrinal issues, nor any one's particular bent on which denomination is better - but this one i thought was just a good statement on humans. Quoted per the sticker - don't slam the grammar please.

Dawned on me (sunrise is rare in my brain) that we always hear about the the priest busted with his altar boy or some such thing - but rarely hear about the ones who just go about their work. Reminds me of here - where we hear about all of the sins that the way corps committed and rarely about those who did something decent. Not that it doesn't happen - just was an interesting correlation in my addled little brain.

RR, that is soooo true. Also opens up another thought to me.

What about all the priests that know what's going on and don't tell,... or leave the priesthood,... or sound any alarm. ?

Also: what about the ones that cow when they hear the alarm and their shepard tells them to STFU?

I guess no "Group" has a monopoly on some things.

In Ireland we hear about the bad and the good, but the bad news always seems to have legs, and the good news is too often ignored.

In the US I never hear good news from the media about the Catholics or about any religions.

I'm sure you could search it out and something's been covered, but it's tucked away in the back storeroon closet or on Page eight under the "Slipand Fall" Lawyer's advert.

But let there be a problem, a complaint against "One Nation Under God" or "in God we trust" and it's front page eh?

Geeze RR . . . give me frickin heart failure why don't you? I saw you started a topic in the doctrinal section and nearly spit out my drink. I was hoping you were going to preach it RR style.

Here I was all ready for the "Amen" choir.

As far as the priests are concerned. . . . I guess sex, sin, and sensationalism(anything as long as it begins with an S) sell advertisements. ... otherwise we would be hearing all about them.

Edited by geisha779

• 2 weeks later...

I became a Catholic prior to the scandal, and one of the priests was the priest of my church. I had noticed that he didn't have the "pizzaz" of other priests, and going to confession before him did not provide the release and relief that confession ususally did. There is a mark of the Holy Spirit that goes with someone who walks with the Lord. That's what we need to identify and stick with. Without the Holy Spirit there is no life. Catholic or non-Catholic.

But oh, with that Holy Spirit, Catholics are some of the most awesomely humble men and women I've ever met. Each time they go into church they bow before the crucified Lord (what a daily reminder of His sacrifice for us, and our associated humility). The Mass is a service to elevate the communion service. Catholics have done so much to build orphanages, schools, and hospitals. Catholic Relief Services provide a way to make a living by giving a goat to a family or a sewing machine to a woman for example. The most humble servants of the Lord I have met personally have been Catholics.

So many personal stories because these priests live with their church members.

When a friend's mother died, Jim told me to go to the cemetary, not the church, and I went there and it turned out the bill hadn't been paid and the cemetery didn't have anything ready to receive the body. I told them that she was on the way,and they quick did something. Father Bob, when the procession arrived at the cemetery, just had an empty hole which he dutifully sprinkled with holy water and blessed. And later when I told him the story he was able to understand why it wasn't set properly.

Father Tom at my current church is not very funny,a nd the priest who retired used to begin every homily (e.g., sermon) with a joke. Well, the last service, I really missed prior Father Tom and his jokes, and new Father Tom went through the whole service, and at the end he was asking for people with anniversary to stand (for applause), and then birthdays... and no celebrants to applaud, so he says, "any driver's license renews?" and that was a laugh-getter. So Father Tom walked with God to be silly and give me a much needed laugh. (Life is not too funny for me nowadays).

These Catholic priests and nuns and church members keep on keeping on, just trying to live before the Lord (as so many of us also do) so they will hear that , "well done good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of the Lord."

I enjoyed the comments of a Dominican Priest last night on Dateline Australia - George Negus.

The priest was so disgusted by the Pope and the catholic church and its incestuous attitudes and paedophilial cover ups that he suggested the entire Vatican city be sold to Mormons or to Disneyland and the catholic church torn down and start afresh.

http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/transcript/id/600432/n/Interview-with-Father-Tom-Doyle

NB: catholic spokesperson claims divine help from above (does that mean to assist catholic cover ups?)

RumRunner, I can agree with you that there are probably many good priests, nuns, and other religious people connected with the RC church. As in all other churches.

Unfortunately the ones who misbehave tend to do so spectacularly.

Other church hierarchy is probably even worse, in knowing about the evil acts, covering up, not doing anything constructive about it and thus condoning and permitting the behavior to continue. Thus permitting other [young people] to be abused as well.

Not just in the RC church either; probably happens to some extent in every type of group, Christian or non-Christian, though I can't of course speak for Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists. But how are incidents dealt with, when they occur? What is the means of recourse?

Yes, Rummie, I'd agree that there are some great right-believing and right-acting people out there whose good works are largely unsung.

And Composer:

catholic spokesperson claims divine help from above (does that mean to assist catholic cover ups?)

Funny, and yeah, you do kinda wonder what connection they might have, that would "wink" at the cover-up.

In Ireland we hear about the bad and the good, but the bad news always seems to have legs, and the good news is too often ignored.

In the US I never hear good news from the media about the Catholics or about any religions.

I'm sure you could search it out and something's been covered, but it's tucked away in the back storeroon closet or on Page eight under the "Slipand Fall" Lawyer's advert.

But let there be a problem, a complaint against "One Nation Under God" or "in God we trust" and it's front page eh?

It's funny, but I have Irish family in the U.S. that is scared of their small midwestern town because the local news makes it look very dangerous. This same person has been around me in places like Shankill Road, and in other areas previously bombed, without being concerned at all.

For those that don't know, on Shankill Road you see stuff like this all over the place:

Shankill%209.jpg

• 3 weeks later...