GreaseSpot Cafe

What Have You Found In Your Kids Pockets

Shellon

I do the majority of the laundry around here, but my Kelly does her own, usually, 'cuz I don't fold right or something.

Last night she had so much homework to do I offered to help her out (with a promise to not fold) and found in various pants pockets

1. I think it was a dried cherry

2. pebbles

3. note from a boy

4. eraser

5. the pencil belonging to the eraser, I think; a little stub of a pencil, actually.

6. $1.02 in coins

When she was a toddler, I'd find funner stuff like what was left of a Robin's egg, a pretty leaf.

Her sister, my 28 y/o daughter had more fascinating and often scarier things in her pockets like bag of weed, switch blades, a summons and once a half of an apple. My fave memory of this part of being her mom was finding three baby snakes. She was going to put them in a teachers desk drawer and "oh yeah I forgot!"

Sigh............

What kinds of stuff do you find in your kids' britches if you do their laundry?

"Love" notes from a girl .... though she was writing something about an incident from recess, so really... who knows...

A letter from the Principal... it was Andreas' shorts, so I assume he just forgot it was there... he'd only carried it for two days because he thought it was soooo special...

Legos.... lemme tell you how many Legos have gone into the washer and dryer.... seriously.... hundreds.

Now, ask me what I've found in my husband's pockets.... he's a school teacher... go ahead, guess....

RED PENS....

My "kid" is an only child and a latchkey kid, to boot.

He has, out of necessity, done his own laundry since he was old enough to understand the mechanics of the process. (9 or 10?) Talk about picky. Gotta use the right detergent with the right temperature with similar fabrics/colors/fabric weights, etc. Everything must be folded or hung properly. I think I was 40 before I ever reached the level of proficiency he takes for granted. :biglaugh:

lol waysider, yeah me too. I hate hate hate laundry and do not seperate or concern myself over any of that stuff unless it's a fave silk jacket and I've given my toddler grand daughter a shirt that was purchased for her teenage aunt a time or three cuz of the hot/cold thing.

Chas, I can imagine! I miss Bob but sure don't miss the nasty construction laundry or the memories of him working somewhere around poison ivy and washing his stuff and getting the horror my own self.

A few times he skipped work cuz he was the boss and could and went caving in Missouri scarey should never be in them caves and came home with nasty stuff like bat shi+ all over him. Was often a choice as to pitch the stuff or try to get it clean.

shiver, still.

• 2 weeks later...

pieces of taken-apart locker locks

erasers

pieces of erasers

candy wrappers

candy still in the wrappers (yum)

little plastic rings from classmates' birthday cupcakes

pencils

pieces of pencils

office passes

library passess

crumbs, lots and lots of crumbs

An obviously interrupted-in-passing note in my little girl's handwriting "I have a boyfriend." Reply, in a friend's handwriting, "Who?" (I got to the bottom of that!)

A broken mirror (ouchie)

crayons, both whole and partial

bolts and twisted metal

mousetrap (the week of my son's engineering fair)

crushed ping-pong ball (same week)

cross-in-my-pocket crosses

money (not much!)

whole and nearly whole cookies (see "crumbs," above)

paper clips, both whole and those that had been used for "sculptures"

rocks: all sizes, colors, nations of origin

fish hooks, both new and used

hand tools

folded-up Algebra homework that was never again intended to see the light of day (I got to the bottom of that)

cell phone ("Oh, THAT'S where it was!)

marbles

tweezers

little pocket notebooks

used shotgun shell, found in the park

used .22 bullets, found in the woods

mechanical pencil lead, single pieces and whole packages (packages closed [good] and open [bad])

earbuds

batteries

lots of other flotsam and jetsum of daily life, items too numerous and mundane to bore you with any longer.

Jacob doesn't put much in his pockets, so I rarely find much. Candy or gum wrappers.

Aaron on the other hand . . . he picks up all kinds of things! Screws, springs, OMG I can't even count how many yuhgio or pokemon cards I've washed!! Money (he's better about that though, because the rule here is if I find it in the washer I keep it!), rocks, lots of rocks, he used to collect them. Jewelry and barrets that he finds on the playground. Notes from girls at school. Fishing lures and other assorted fishing gear. With that one, there is no telling what may turn up next.

Then there is Sushi . . . he gives me lots of money from his pockets. :) I guess the pens don't count though, because he doesn't leave them in his pockets, he leaves them on his shirts?

Trained a foster kid to do his own laundry by keeping his allowance a time or two.

With own child found multicolored crayons, after they made it through the dryer and ruined husband's shirts.

Love notes from girls, mostly.

Notifications from teachers/guidance counselors/principal which never reached the parents

Note from future first wife when he was in jail promising to steal and sell his Jeep so they could run away and live happily ever after.

Other various notes, including some very sexually explicit ones from a girlfriend, complete with illustrations.

Thank God those days are over!

WG