GreaseSpot Cafe

The Mean Girls

RottieGrrrl

This story bothered me on so many levels. The "adults" did nothing to stop it. Excuse me, in the town of South Hadley, Massachusets, it seems there are no adults there to speak of.

The Mean Girls

ETA: Nine of these little f...fudge cakes, got indicted today. 6 as adults, 3 as juvies. For what I hope is some very serious criminal charges. I think their parents and the school administrators/teachers should be doing time too. :realmad:

Edited by RottieGrrrl

sad sad and gut wrenching. let us know what charges they bring.

Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly. A woman who answered the phone at his home Monday would not identify herself and told The Associated Press, "You don't know the full story."

_ Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly. A message left at a number listed to a Narey family was not immediately returned; another line was out of service.

_ Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield. Charged with statutory rape. A telephone number could not immediately be found.

_ Ashley Longe, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A telephone number could not immediately be found.

_ Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. There was no telephone listing.

_ Flannery Mullins, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A message left at a Mullins home was not immediately returned.

Three 16-year-old South Hadley girls, whose names were not released, face delinquency charges that include the civil rights offense, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

Of course, the denial with the mothers of these little monsters has already begun. My daughter never fought with her

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Rottie Grrrl.

The story is in People Magazine this week if you are interested. I was in South Hadley today. It is a really beautiful town, picture perfect, with really lovely residents.

It is where Mt. Holyoke College is located. . . . . a fairly quiet place.

Such a heartbreaking tragedy. People here are still reeling.

The parents called for no vigilantism,(there is fear of reprisal) and for the justice system to be allowed to work. . . . it has been a tense time for this area.

Hi geisha! I did not know you were from that area. I guess what surprises me the most is all the horrible "bully" incidents that I am hearing about now, because of this story. There is even a term called bullycide. I know that people are quick to say it would be different if it were thier kids, and I'm no better. Because I guess if I had a kid that confided in me they were being tortured every day, I would like to think that I would just pull them out until the situation got sorted out. Or I switched them to another school or home schooled them or whatever.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just blowing a lot of hot air. But school is such a different world from the "real world" And you know what, it goes the other way too. Some of these kids that were so popular in high school, or junior high or whatever, never get that kind of glory again in the real world.

I'm glad this girls death is getting so much attention, and I'm glad these kids responsible are facing criminal charges. Even if they are acquitted, they know now what it feels like to be harassed and ostracized, just like what they were doing. I would hope the best punishment these kids could have is growing up and getting a conscience one day. Realizing just what they did.

I'm also glad the school staff is getting criticized too. There is enough blame for everybody, I fear.

But you know what? And it really pains me to have to say this. But I wonder how many of the people (myself included)who are jumping on the bandwagon of pointing fingers of blame at everybody, would have done anything different. And I wonder if after everything quiets down, and the next tragedy strikes and the attention goes away, if things will just go back to the way it was. Until the next time it happens. :( :(

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Hi geisha! I did not know you were from that area. I guess what surprises me the most is all the horrible "bully" incidents that I am hearing about now, because of this story. There is even a term called bullycide. I know that people are quick to say it would be different if it were thier kids, and I'm no better. Because I guess if I had a kid that confided in me they were being tortured every day, I would like to think that I would just pull them out until the situation got sorted out. Or I switched them to another school or home schooled them or whatever.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just blowing a lot of hot air. But school is such a different world from the "real world" And you know what, it goes the other way too. Some of these kids that were so popular in high school, or junior high or whatever, never get that kind of glory again in the real world.

I'm glad this girls death is getting so much attention, and I'm glad these kids responsible are facing criminal charges. Even if they are acquitted, they know now what it feels like to be harassed and ostracized, just like what they were doing. I would hope the best punishment these kids could have is growing up and getting a conscience one day. Realizing just what they did.

I'm also glad the school staff is getting criticized too. There is enough blame for everybody, I fear.

But you know what? And it really pains me to have to say this. But I wonder how many of the people (myself included)who are jumping on the bandwagon of pointing fingers of blame at everybody, would have done anything different. And I wonder if after everything quiets down, and the next tragedy strikes and the attention goes away, if things will just go back to the way it was. Until the next time it happens. :( :(

I do live in this area and this has been a huge story here since it happened. This area is a bit of an anomaly. For the most part these are old farming communities. . . . with 5 fairly prestigious colleges sprinkled about. . . . Hampshire, Amherst, Smith, Mt Holyoke, and U-Mass. One would think that would promote some acceptance of diversity. .. . and on many levels it does, but slowly, and reluctantly. It can take years beyond a normal adjustment period to be accepted here as part of a community. . . . at least that has been my observation.

I am sure this won't be a popular point, but my pity does extend to the girls who were so cruel and heartless, all while being sheltered in the confines of high school and cultural comfort. What a cheap waste of life. One day, they may grow up and grow a conscience, but even if they never understand and continue to hide from responsibility. . . . how is that any way to exist?

It all means that not just one life was so tragically lost. People don't usually rise above something like this to turn and do good from it. . . . at least not very often. They usually end up substance abusers trying to hide from it.

It is just so sad.

The DA, who I normally don't care for, is doing a good job. She is taking it very seriously and making it clear such things are not tolerated. Bullying is being addressed here and although some reform and change may come from the tragedy . . . . it is still just a terrible and cheap waste of human potential and decency. Something has seriously eroded in our society.

And. . . sometimes. . . . life really stinks.

This absolutely amazes me. My husband teaches in high school and if there is the slightest hint of such goings-on, he addresses it with vigor, usually scaring the hell out of any potential bullying miscreant he comes across.

That the school officials knew this was going on and did little if anything to stop it blows my mind. I would fire the entire school board, the superintendent, the principal and anyone else who turned a blind eye, likely because these chickies came from wealthy, socially prominent, politically influential families. "Know the whole story" the mom says. The girl is dead. That is the whole story. She's dead. Your kid helped drive her to her death.

WG

• Upvote 1

I don't know about cyber-bullying, but as far as real-life schoolyard bullying the most quick and effective (i.e., the best) solution is for the victim to hit back -- and hit back hard. Believe me, it works.

Oh sure, you could go the politically correct route: talk to the kids, talk to the parents, talk to the teachers, etc. You could end up talking for a long time. Meanwhile your child is being harassed daily.

I'm sorry...I know that not everyone approves of that solution but it worked for me as a teenager once. And when my own son had an experience I gave him the best advice I knew: to surprise Mr. Bully with a hard right to the head the next time he approached him. (I had no idea the opportunity would come so soon but the next day the kid approached him and my son -- God bless him -- did exactly I said -- for once, ha ha! He hit the kid right in the head with a closed fist, per my instruction. Yes, he received an afternoon's detention, but it was worth it. The kid never bothered him again. Ever.)

Nothing succeeds like success. Fight back just once and you're no longer an easy target for bullies.

I don't know about cyber-bullying, but as far as real-life schoolyard bullying the most quick and effective (i.e., the best) solution is for the victim to hit back -- and hit back hard. Believe me, it works.

Oh sure, you could go the politically correct route: talk to the kids, talk to the parents, talk to the teachers, etc. You could end up talking for a long time. Meanwhile your child is being harassed daily.

I'm sorry...I know that not everyone approves of that solution but it worked for me as a teenager once. And when my own son had an experience I gave him the best advice I knew: to surprise Mr. Bully with a hard right to the head the next time he approached him. (I had no idea the opportunity would come so soon but the next day the kid approached him and my son -- God bless him -- did exactly I said -- for once, ha ha! He hit the kid right in the head with a closed fist, per my instruction. Yes, he received an afternoon's detention, but it was worth it. The kid never bothered him again. Ever.)

Nothing succeeds like success. Fight back just once and you're no longer an easy target for bullies.

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, I think it's important to understand that lots of bullying is of a non-physical variety. I think anyone who spent much time in TWI understands that concept. So, most of bullying that went on in TWI was not a good candidate for physical retaliation. I think, perhaps, the type of bullying that happened in this situation is probably more along those lines.

edit: "Sure, you're free to leave TWI whenever you want, if you don't like your work assignment. Just don't forget that the devil is waiting for you at the next freeway exit. You'll probably be a greasespot on the highway before the sun comes up."

Edited by waysider

This absolutely amazes me. My husband teaches in high school and if there is the slightest hint of such goings-on, he addresses it with vigor, usually scaring the hell out of any potential bullying miscreant he comes across.

That the school officials knew this was going on and did little if anything to stop it blows my mind. I would fire the entire school board, the superintendent, the principal and anyone else who turned a blind eye, likely because these chickies came from wealthy, socially prominent, politically influential families. "Know the whole story" the mom says. The girl is dead. That is the whole story. She's dead. Your kid helped drive her to her death.

WG

I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with WG.

wb