GreaseSpot Cafe

Rome City Campus Haunted

Belle

I wanted to help folks, but looking back, I turned some "newbies" into the most controlling, emotional blackmailing aresholes there are.... I regret it to this day. At the time, I thought I was doing the right thing and that these were folks I just wasn't "mature enough" to handle. Looking back... they were instrumental in planting those seeds of doubt for me and - in essence - helped me more than I helped them. :)

Thanks, Belle. Life can be funny that way.

Did any of those who you helped indoctrinate ever get out?

Edited by soul searcher

Hello all and thanks for the link, Belle. Our two years there during our stint in the 11th family corps (84-86) were Casper-free, but I'll admit the basements creeped me out, along with a slab/alter looking thing out on Uncle Harry Hill. We heard of the tunnels and knew that one was called the sauerkraut tunnel because they made sauerkraut there.

I don't know where the oil-leak room is located, but there was a main building, a west wing and an annex that all had second floor dorm rooms. One area on the second floor in the main building was called "Mystery Hall". The door to it looked just like any other room door, except it opened into an alcove area which led to another hall with more rooms and if I'm not mistaken, the hall led over the alley to the second floor of another building where the laundry area and maybe "reflections" (hair salon) were located. What's my point? Not sure, just that the whole set-up was mysterious and creepy, which at the time we attributed to the previous Catholic ownership.

The whole devil spirit theory aside, I tend to think when a place has a history of suffering or oppression it will give off a bad vibe.

Another thing, it seemed we all noticed getting sick more frequently there than we had back in our respective homes, which we chalked up to the heating system and funky air.

My good memories there are all tied to the fun we had with the seemingly decent people we knew and the misguided belief that we were doing something good in God's name. The bad memories I have all boil down to the of abuse of power by those in authority. That, plus the smell in the chicken killing room.

Okay... I, for one, kinda liked Rome City... (didn't like the basement but I didn't have to go down there much either). Maybe because living there was such a breath of fresh air compared to the gulag they were running at HQ.

And, I did get the chance to visit the place about two years ago... I was honest about my connection to the place and told them I wasn't there to cause trouble just wanted to look around one last time... the current caretaker gave me the grand tour, including the saurkraut tunnel. I took a lot of pictures. It was sad to see the disrepair the old place had fallen into when the newest owners simply couldn't keep up with it all.

But I am certain the tunnels in the basement do NOT connect all the buildings. There is just the one that runs down to the spring... aka the Saur Kraut tunnel. If you look closely, you will see the three pictures they post of all the tunnels are really the same small stretch of tunnel shot from three different vantage points...

However, the current caretakers were devoutly Roman Catholic and believed whole-heartedly in the sightings of Mary and signs they noticed around the grounds, including the walls that seeped oil, and the long-dry water spigot from the old springs that suddenly started running water again, and the odd lights and hazes that would show up in their photographs of saints and statuary around the grounds. They had been petitioning the Pope for some time to get the place recognized as specially visited by Mary.

Is it haunted? Can't say. Certainly could be with its long history. But it might just be an old building doing what old buildings do...

"the long-dry water spigot from the old springs that suddenly started running water again"

This is not at all unusual with artesian wells. They routinely go through active/dormant periods at the whims of climate changes, nearby construction and other demands being placed on (or removed) from the aquifer involved.

Edited by waysider

"the long-dry water spigot from the old springs that suddenly started running water again"

This is not at all unusual with artesian wells. They routinely go through active/dormant periods at the whims of climate changes, nearby construction and other demands being placed on (or removed) from the aquifer involved.

Nahh, I think it's caused by devil spirits. :)

Well... yeah... every time our guide would mention some 'sign' or 'miracle' they had noticed on the property my friend and I would surrepticiously look at each other from across the room and try not to crack a smile. Who am I (former way-brained cultist) to knock someone else's beliefs????

on the next Ghost Hunters, Jason, Grant ,Steve and Tango get wierded out when the Ghost of Victor Paul wierwille and the Demon LCM appear and are recorded both visually and audiblely at Monastery at Rome City, Indianna, here on SyFy. :biglaugh::evildenk::drink::beer:

the Ghost of Victor Paul wierwille and the Demon LCM appear and are recorded both visually and audiblely at Monastery at Rome City, Indianna

Ohhh....I know, we could write a horror book based on this and call it....wait...it's coming to me..... :thinking:....that's it... VP and Me! :smilie_kool_aid:

or do a new horror TV series"The Return of Dark Shadows" with the campus standing in for Collinwood with screen play by Stephen King :evilshades:

When the Ghost of Victor Paul wierwille and the Demon LCM appear and are recorded both visually and audiblely at Monastery at Rome City, Indianna, here on SyFy. biglaugh.gifevildenk.gif

So if anyone sees the ghost of Victor frankenstine wierwille is this what will happen?

Nuck, Nuck, Nuck! Woo, woo, woo , woo, woo!biglaugh.gifdance.gifohmy.giftongue.gifdrink.gifconfused.gifrolleyes.gifsmilie_kool_aid.gif !

I know my brother had some experiences while he was there... something about a face appearing in the wall. He was pretty little back then. I know of several twi kids who have told me the auditorium was haunted by the ghost of VPW!! biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif