GreaseSpot Cafe

Am I The Only Trekkie Pissed Off About...

Weout1200

...Paramount Pictures & their almighty pursuit of the Dollar. I'm patiently waiting for the release of "Star Trek Nemesis" next week. So, I go to the local Borders bookstore for something to pass the time, and what's on the entry racks?....

A novelization of the script of Star Trek Nemesis . Just a trillion copies . Why release it a week BEFORE the flick comes out?

To me it's a dumb move on their part. Some folk will buy the book & keep the admission $ in their pocket.

Then there's people like me who try their best to walk away, but end up reading the first chapter , which is acknowledgements from the author...who then proceeds to explain the reasons why what was done in the movie...then confirming a rumor that had been circulating .

Dumb. But that's my thought. What say y'all?

...on the 8th Day, GOD made the Harley, & it was Good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he may have mentioned it on his website, but if not, I remember something about how he had a few minor scenes in it but they were edited out.

I'd look on his site but I'm too lazy, so if you want you can look around http://www.wilwheaton.net/. Personally I am usually repulsed by reading personal websites because they always seem too egotistical.

Well, I WASN'T until I read your post.

That's standard operating procedure.

Back when Return of the Jedi first hit theaters,

I had the paperback on my shelf before I saw the

movie. (I refrained from even reading the

back cover.)

However, I have been able to avoid all rumours

& news about the movie UNTIL THIS THREAD.

Thanks heaps.

I read the script. You guys are going to be really disappointed with ST:N. Even-numbered Trek movies are supposed to be the good ones, but this one may not even live up to the last one (ick). They basically rehashed a bunch of plot devices from the TV show, threw in some stupidly gratuitous explosions, and tried to put in some PG-rated sex. All this from the same screenwriter who gave us Gladiator, for Pete's sake! Remember when you see it that Logan got the job because he's friends with Brent Spiner, and you'll realize why the incredibly annoying Data/B-9 subplot didn't wind up on the cutting room floor. And, of course, death is only Trek death, after all...

I'd say it's a matinee at best, even for Trek geeks. Save the money and go see The Two Towers twice, instead. Every advance review I've read says it beats the first one (which had 13 Oscar noms) hands down. Word is that the battle of Helm's Deep makes the ending of Attack of the Clones look like it was "shot in a barn with hand puppets."

To those who are on the fence about seeing it, three little words:

Data. Sings. AGAIN.

Friends don't let friends watch bad movies. Proceed at your own risk.

I hear that Solaris really sucks, Analyze That is horrible, and there's not much else out there that I would have considered going to watch. My wife wants to go see a movie this weekend, but I don't know what it should be, since there's not anything of any quality out there that I am aware of. Also, the Two Towers comes out in one week or two weeks? I'll probably wait two weeks after it's release to go see it, but I am looking forward to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

P-Mosh: If you like James Bond pix, Die Another Day is actually one of the better ones. My wife liked it.

Two Towers comes out Wednesday the 18th. Nemesis next Friday.

Actually, I didn't like the new James Bond movie as much as I thought I would because of the non-Bond-like beginning of the film (how could James Bond become a prisoner of war?) and a few other minor things. I do agree that it is still one of the better ones, at least since Sean Connery defined the role. I'd say Pierce Brosnan is the 2nd best James Bond. He just needs to become a little bit meaner and I'll be happy.

I was looking forward to seeing it--

Perhaps I'll wait till it comes out on dvd.

Never thought William Shatner could act his way out of a wet paper bag!

I saw 'Six degrees of separation'--the best parts of the movie were in the teaser/trailer.

Same for "Memento" with Gillian Anderson from X-Files. The teaser WAS the movie!

If Zixar says it sucks--well then I guess it does.

I saw the new Harry Potter--good movie for the most part, but having played D & D for a long time I am jaded when it comes to fighting mythical monsters.

Thanks Zix!

Kay

Kay1952

P-Mosh: Roger Ebert gave "Equilibrium" three stars. Dunno if that's good or bad, but he does say there's more ammo expended in this movie than any movie he can remember, and yes, he remembers "The Transporter".

Might be worth seeing, as it explores how freedom of opinion is fatal to religious totalitarianism.

With lots of bullets.

Zix,

W/o giving away the plot, is this going to be the last Star Trek flick? At least for the Next Gen crew/cast?

If it is, this is one helluva insulting way to send them out, based on what I'm reading so far.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

How about a movie called,

Star Trek: Enough Already

The alpha quadrant is threatened by a seemingly indestructible and undefeatable threat. The Enterprise-E, the only ship in the quadrant, is sent to deal with the threat by talking to it for two hours. The threat, sensing danger, immediately destroys the Enterprise-E, killing everything on board except Data's head, which drifts uncontrollably toward the nearest star. Just when it seems all hope is lost and Data's head is going to melt - it does.

Starfleet, which observes the calamity using one of its ubiquitous cameras, sends 371 other ships to deal with the threat. Unfortunately, the 371 ships won't be ready until Tuesday.

Faced with all but certain destruction, Starfleet surrenders, and the undefeatable threat destroys Starfleet, along with the final remnants of ILM studios on earth, ensuring that the 745th Star Wars movie will not be made.

The movie ends with a close up of the undefeatable threat.

A single gold band.

One ring to rule them all.

Hmmmm....I feel a Director's Cut coming on!

quote:
Originally posted by Rafael 1969:

How about a movie called,

Star Trek: Enough Already

The alpha quadrant is threatened by a seemingly indestructible and undefeatable threat. The Enterprise-E, the only ship in the quadrant, is sent to deal with the threat by talking to it for two hours. The threat, sensing danger, immediately destroys the Enterprise-E, killing everything on board except Data's head, which drifts uncontrollably toward the nearest star.

Deleted Scene: It continues to mouth lame showtunes, mostly from Gilbert and Sullivan and Irving Berlin, fulfilling the contractually-mandated stroking of Brent Spiner's galactic-sized ego to get him to do this picture.

quote:
Just when it seems all hope is lost and Data's head is going to melt - it does.

Starfleet, which observes the calamity using one of its ubiquitous cameras, sends 371 other ships to deal with the threat. Unfortunately, the 371 ships won't be ready until Tuesday.

Deleted scene: Desperately, Starfleet unleashes its entire Counselor Corps to hold off the enemy by thinking happy thoughts at it. Unfortunately, they all wear those ridiculous lavender pantsuits Troi wore in the second season, giving them tremendous self-esteem problems because it makes their butts look fat. The Counselor Corps gives up and programs the replicators for ice cream and sweat pants.

quote:
Faced with all but certain destruction, Starfleet surrenders, and the undefeatable threat destroys Starfleet, along with the final remnants of ILM studios on earth, ensuring that the 745th Star Wars movie will not be made.

The movie ends with a close up of the undefeatable threat.

A single gold band.

One ring to rule them all.

Sorry, Raf. Couldn't resist. Well, could have, just didn't.

NO!!! Please, I beg of you. I can tolerate Capt. Archer for only one hour at a time, for free. I can't see myself paying hard-earned cash to suffer through a full length 'Enterprise' flick. Give me "Attack of The Killer Tomatos".

HOWEVER....

Being the model builder that I am, I will take a kit of Enterprise NX-01. That will round out my fleet.

P.S. Is the opening theme (Faith Of The Heart) an original done for that show or a re-make? I was in my local grocery store & I heard Rod Stuart singing a version of it.

...on the 8th Day, GOD made the Harley, & it was Good.