GreaseSpot Cafe

Drill, baby, drill!

soul searcher

Having never been in The Way, this may or may not have the same type of impact on you as it does some of us.

Wiewille was very cavalier about environmental issues. According to him, the Lord would return before we could do any real damage. So, why waste your time, efforts and financial resources by becoming involved with such causes? Instead, focus all your energies on witnessing and selling the PFAL class. "It's the word, the word and nothing but the word.", It's always the integrity of the word that's at stake.", etc. After all, the answers to all of life's problems, including environmental disasters, are encompassed in PFAL.

That attitude still lingers below the surface for many former followers of The Way, despite the obvious reality that we are destroying the very planet we call home.

Wiewille was very cavalier about environmental issues.

As are most people.

According to him, the Lord would return before we could do any real damage. So, why waste your time, efforts and financial resources by becoming involved with such causes?

Maybe he was right... Never mind! Call off the work crews. Who needs the New Orleans fishing industry anyway?

That attitude still lingers below the surface for many former followers of The Way...

Again, that attitude is hardly unique to TWI.

Ive heard the same people..So concerned waiting for the 'new heaven and earth' that they dont mind dumping whatever toxic crap they may have in the ground or water to deform the next 10 generations :realmad:

A month or so back I thought it was ironic that President Obama opened up off shore drilling...but that it happened to be around only red states (Tex, LA, Miss, AL, The Carolinas, Alaska, VA.)

Its no joke now, this is horrible.

The REALLY distressing thing to me is that BP apparently had/has NO backup plan if something goes wrong. Hundreds (thousands?) of highly/overly paid executives to oversee the workings of the corporation and not one of 'em thought enough of the safety concerns to implement any sort of program to remedy the situation if the unthinkable happened.

What the hell? Is this like WestWorld, where nothing can possibly go #rong? I notice one of the main cheerleaders for drilling our way out of energy dependence, Caribou Barbie, is somewhat silent these last few days. I guess it'll take a while to come up with a suitable bumper-sticker slogan to cover this eventuality...

...the obvious reality that we are destroying the very planet we call home.

I have started to believe in recent years that the planet earth, together with various life forms, will survive man. I think humans and most other land-dwelling creatures will die off, much as the dinosaurs did, while other species (perhaps insects and various marine life) will remain. Who knows?

Ghastly, and a serious threat to people's livelihoods as well as to who knows what unique little crittters. And even not so unique critters.

Aren't we supposed to steward the earth? That means, take care of!

Never mind. We screwed up the southern states. Let's go raid somewhere pristine and start again. No-one will notice if we mess up the arctic.

It seems utterly incomprehensible that BP could do this and not have a worst-case plan, fail-safes for fail-safes and then some.

Sorry for the men, for the families, with the first deaths on the exploding rig. They are but the first of many to suffer.

• Upvote 1

I have started to believe in recent years that the planet earth, together with various life forms, will survive man. I think humans and most other land-dwelling creatures will die off, much as the dinosaurs did, while other species (perhaps insects and various marine life) will remain. Who knows?

yep, it's just an equilibrium shift, why people try to keep things the same (as what?) is strange

Yes, in my in-depth textual research, I've discovered in Matthew 5:5 that the word "meek" in the "the meek shall inherit the earth" is more properly translated "cockroaches".

There ya go...

• Upvote 1

I wasn't thrilled with the Drill Baby Drill decision, but I thought--maybe there are more and better safeguards to prevent disasters.

Guess not--or if there are, the regulations didn't require their use.

This company can in no way pay for the damage they've caused.

My brother is trying to go down there with a film crew. He's a documentary/evironmental filmer with a wildlife biology background, often picks up jobs with big companies as a camera man. He wants to film and spend his non work hours volunteering.

• Upvote 1

Too big to fail, too big to screw up?

Seems a bit arrogant to me but it's the capitalist way, get big or get out, thats what James Watts told farmers back in the day, look where that got us, imported junk from china that's contaminated, large tracts of farmland in Calif ruined from salts. BP isust one more example of bigger is not always better, especially when prudent oversight is neglected or circumvented... go figure

As of today the situation in the Gulf is not a heck of a lot better. Oil now sinking to the floor of the Gulf and it will kill off everything it covers.

I heard today that some oil could eventually end up on the east coast! I don't see how that could happen but hopefully I'm wrong or I misunderstood.

• Upvote 1

. .

I heard today that some oil could eventually end up on the east coast! I don't see how that could happen but hopefully I'm wrong or I misunderstood.

I've also heard this, it's more likely to hit the east coast of the Florida than the west, due to the currents.

Edited by Bolshevik

God first

thanks everybody

Rev 8:10And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; 11And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

is what makes the water undrinkable wormwood

or is there another

it came below is the same as above

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Thanks, Roy. I haven't yet read the entire Book of Revelation but I have read a few chapters of it and I find Revelation 18 to be fascinating.

Think of the United States (or the combined set of industrialized Western countries) as Babylon.

The "merchants of the earth" are mining, lumber and oil companies and all others who plunder the earth out of greed.

11"The merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her because no one buys their cargoes any more...

14"They will say, 'The fruit you longed for is gone from you. All your riches and splendor have vanished, never to be recovered.'

And verse 19:

" 'Woe! Woe, O great city,

where all who had ships on the sea

became rich through her wealth!

In one hour she has been brought to ruin!

[All quotes are from the NIV]

I don't know when that terrible hour will come but it sure seems to be getting closer.

• Upvote 1

Stupid is as stupid does. I found this while perusing the intertubes this morning.

The Gulf of Mexico is estimated to have as much as 31

million pounds of UXO lining its floor. Exploration off

other coastlines will most certainly yield past and ongoing

at-sea military munitions disposal practices of foreign

governments. Clearly, the past munitions disposal solutions

and practices serve as an obstacle for the contemporary

interests of the oil and gas industry today.

UXO is unexploded ordinance. in other words mines and bombs.

http://www.rigzone.com/search/featured/amti.pdf

It's just another catastrophe waiting to happen.

• Upvote 1

Rev 8:10And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; 11And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
my current best guess is that this trumpet has a lot to do with the effects of "bitterness" on health. Mental anxiety eating away at our guts.

but also...

...taking a macro view of the world as a body of bodies...this "accident" also seems like a sign that this global empire is in need of palliative care...as if generations of cynical reductionism, terror and anxiety, absurd over-objectification, and generations of drunken oil binges have finally eaten a hole in the lining of a very vital organ of earth...and so now Uncle Sam's skin is changing color fast...and denial is harder than ever to come by...and there is a sudden eerie hush from typically loud voices.

I pray the silence is due to another layer of the world is being jawdroppingly enlightened about some very important things...as time for choices dwindles.

Thanks, Roy. I haven't yet read the entire Book of Revelation but I have read a few chapters of it and I find Revelation 18 to be fascinating.

Think of the United States (or the combined set of industrialized Western countries) as Babylon.

The "merchants of the earth" are mining, lumber and oil companies and all others who plunder the earth out of greed.

11"The merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her because no one buys their cargoes any more...

14"They will say, 'The fruit you longed for is gone from you. All your riches and splendor have vanished, never to be recovered.'

And verse 19:

" 'Woe! Woe, O great city,

where all who had ships on the sea

became rich through her wealth!

In one hour she has been brought to ruin!

[All quotes are from the NIV]

I don't know when that terrible hour will come but it sure seems to be getting closer.

An analogy for any carpenters out there. You hit the nail directly on its head and drove it cleanly into the wood with your comments Soul Searcher. This latest oil spill sounds like it may be the worst one in the history of the world. This nation may be turning into a garbage dump. Could this country recover financially and environmentally? Yes, it could. With World War 2 there were many financial and environmental diasters and the nations recovered.

But will it recover now? No, it will not recover with the current mind set that I see. I see far to much greed and a lack of a work ethic. When I say greed with a lack of a work ethic I mean people who want to and are allowed to make money on printed and borrowed money instead of actually producing goods and services. We have the worst form of a Babylonian system today in the banking business and the oil companies have to much control of our politicians. All they care about is their own profits and could care less about the country as a whole. The resources and effort that they put into clean-up may be miniscule. I have heard that they are mostly just trying to push the oil deeper into the ocean to hide it, but where it will kill sea life. The amount of oil leaking into our ocean is likely higher than the reports say because if the oil companies in the supposed clean up can push the oil deeper into the ocean it might be difficult to determine how much oil is actually leaking.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

An analogy for any carpenters out there. You hit the nail directly on its head and drove it cleanly into the wood with your comments Soul Searcher.

Thank you, Mark. That was a nice compliment.

We read a short story in high school called "By the Waters of Babylon", which was set in a post-apocalytic world. (Read it here.) The last sentence was "We must build again", which I had always found to be hopeful and optimistic.

I heard yesterday that tar balls are washing up on the shores of Louisiana.

Lovely. :(

"Nothing here just move along"<p>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

What a moron. He should be ashamed of himself.

Here's a story from today's New York Times. I guess he doesn't read it.

And a self righteous and selfish moron. I guess as long as Brit Hume keeps getting his pay checks there are no problems.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

Too big to fail, too big to screw up?

Seems a bit arrogant to me but it's the capitalist way, get big or get out, thats what James Watts told farmers back in the day, look where that got us, imported junk from china that's contaminated, large tracts of farmland in Calif ruined from salts. BP isust one more example of bigger is not always better, especially when prudent oversight is neglected or circumvented... go figure

Corporatism is NOT the same as Capitalism. NO ONE should be "too big to fail", not even ADM.