GreaseSpot Cafe

Your'e abundant sharing at work?

OldSkool

In my time with the way international I vividly remember the emphasis placed on stewardship, and to take it out of way speak, let's call it routine maintenance. To sum it up the way ministry strains out the gnat and swallows the camel. The best I understand the culture of that saying is gnats would get in the wine and they would strain out the tiny little guys using their teeth. It means they strain over the smallest details in other's lives but are willing to let the largest of details go in their own.

Ok - routine maintenance. We were taught that God places the utmost importance on how well we took care of our stuff. Here's the kicker. The facilities that comprise Headquarters and Camp Gunnison are in terrible shape. Why? Because deferred maintenance is how they take care of their stuff. Deferred maintenance, in facilities management circles, could be summed up as if it ain't broke don't fix it. That is NOT stewardship, that is NOT routine maintenance.

Organizations that know how to take care of their stuff will hire a facilities manager to implement routine maintenance programs from the day the facility opens it's doors. It is very inexpensive compared to deferred maintenance. The results of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" are exponentially higher for obvious reasons.

Here is a prime example: In 2000 the primary electric loop at headquarters failed. The board of trustees knew it was "leaking voltage" years before it happened. The reason they did not fix it was it wasn't broken. When it failed it was pandemonium. HQ was w/o power for several days, save what the Y2K generators provided. Of course they stroked themselves on spending the exorbitant amount of time and money on the Y2K fiasco. It took several years to get the system completely replaced. God know the opportunity cost incurred by leaving it to fail.

Now for the spin. During the advanced class in 2000 headquarters was a mess. It was a giant jobsite which the directors hate, even though it would lead by example demonstrating physical maintenance. Anyways, I was in the food line and the secretary treasurer at the time gave a sharing on your abundant sharing a work. He spent a few minutes explaining the electrical project and finished that portion of the sharing by saying "we are doing this project because we take care of things."

I almost choked on my tongue. He blatantly lied and said that was a planned project that was part of routine maintenance.

Well, fast forward a few years and the cabinet and department coordinators were expected to have backlogs of projects and other maintenance related projects in place. Don't you know a vast majority of those projects were consistently shot down by the directors? Well, a picture is worth a thousand words.

moneypitcartoon.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It always seemed to me that the endless cutting of grass, washing of walls, cleaning of toilets, polishing of brass (in an auditorium no one shows up to), vacuuming of clean carpets, and trimming of shrubs was what "good stewardship" meant. In other words, keep the people busy on the little stuff so they won't notice the big stuff. And since there were people who were willing to do this in exchange for next to nothing, our ABS was being saved and used to "move the word."

Slave labor - your Abundant Sharing At Work! biglaugh.gif

I never really understood how the clean brass in the auditorium second level was being a "good witness" when no one ever went up there EXCEPT to clean it. confused.gif

Oh, I know it's crazy. Let's let the infrastructure fall apart but shine the brass. The electrical project is the tip of the ice berg. HQ is in bad shape.

It's a good example of residual waybrain in action that I was momentarily surprised at your initial post. Even though I have long since put Way doctrine and loyalty for the organization behind me, I still thought that they did a good job of "stewardship". Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info

You're welcome. I think it also underscores the ineptness of the "officers/executives (read Rosie / Donna)" running the place. There are some talented people who know what to do but aren't allowed to do it.

I still thought that they did a good job of "stewardship". Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info

Also, this was why I posted the info. They talk so much about how good they are at taking care of things. And to their credit, they do well at maintaining appearances. But from a professional perspective they get straight F's! And the failures are not without consequence because the longer something decays the more likelihood it will need extensive repairs or outright replaced.

It always seemed to me that the endless cutting of grass, washing of walls, cleaning of toilets, polishing of brass (in an auditorium no one shows up to), vacuuming of clean carpets, and trimming of shrubs was what "good stewardship" meant. In other words, keep the people busy on the little stuff so they won't notice the big stuff. And since there were people who were willing to do this in exchange for next to nothing, our ABS was being saved and used to "move the word."

Slave labor - your Abundant Sharing At Work! biglaugh.gif

I never really understood how the clean brass in the auditorium second level was being a "good witness" when no one ever went up there EXCEPT to clean it. confused.gif

Bingo. Lately I've been thinking about how magicians use misdirection to fool their onlookers. In other words, keep them entertained with the left hand while the right hand stuffs the rabbit under the hat, then lift the hat with the left hand and WOW, the tricky rabbit appears seemingly out of nowhere. Something like that.

That was VP's M.O.

Part of my job was to sniff for fires. I was told wayworld tends to keep things forever, and these things eventually collect dust, decay etc. The neat and orderly piles of junk become fire hazards, so someone has to walk around checking to make sure they are not on fire.

Couldn't you just bury it all in the swamp?

I am going through old paperwork and shredding stuff that is older than 7 years from our financlal records... And I came across a PILE of ABS checks for SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FREAKING MONEY. What a waste. We could have had a down payment on a house if we had saved that money.

I have decided I am just going to say that that money was what we had to pay for my husband and I to find each other and have our daughter. That is one thing the Way did that was a good thing for me. Without them I never would have met my husband (the love of my life), and my daughter (the light of my life) would never have been born. If I look at it that way, it's not so bad.

I have decided I am just going to say that that money was what we had to pay for my husband and I to find each other and have our daughter. That is one thing the Way did that was a good thing for me. Without them I never would have met my husband (the love of my life), and my daughter (the light of my life) would never have been born. If I look at it that way, it's not so bad.

You can't really put a price on that.

However, lessons learned are rarely cheap.

Ah yes.. planes, trains and automobiles..in the case of the victoid, apparently it was only vintage motorcycles..

:biglaugh:

I rode on the plane with a drunk leering HA...yeah...good times, good times....

It was not long after that I learned it was a flying bag of bolts...and a big old crap-shoot in reaching your destination.....

Edited by geisha779

And I though Vicster and Howie didn't like to gamble... :biglaugh:

Apparently, they "believed" to arrive in one piece.....me, I don't want to "wing" it on a plane that should be grounded...but flies anyway :)

I'm not sure that I really mind the motorcycle. At least it has some real value outside of TWI if sold.

Oh, it wasn't just ONE motorcycle. It was a mini-fleet of vintage cars and scooters, along with two motor coaches, a private jet, expensive guns, hunting and fishing gear, registered hunting dogs, lots and lots and lots of booze, "bird" hunting trips, etc..

Oh, it wasn't just ONE motorcycle. It was a mini-fleet of vintage cars and scooters, along with two motor coaches, a private jet, expensive guns, hunting and fishing gear, registered hunting dogs, lots and lots and lots of booze, "bird" hunting trips, etc..

Oh those?...they were all used as illustrations in classes...ya that's it - illustrations.... :biglaugh: :P :beer::drink:

Wait a minute...he had a jet?

Wait a minute...he had a jet?

Yes, it was called Ambassador One. (Like Air Force One, get it?) It had a logo on it that resembled The Presidential Seal. There are some posters here who, unlike myself, are quite knowledgeable in aviation related matters. Perhaps they'll chime in.

Yes, it was called Ambassador One. (Like Air Force One, get it?) It had a logo on it that resembled The Presidential Seal. There are some posters here who, unlike myself, are quite knowledgeable in aviation related matters. Perhaps they'll chime in.

But he wasn't rich before he founded TWI, right?

I wonder why someone who isn't, like, the president of the U.S. or the secretary of state or something, would need a private jet.

Maybe he needed a plane in case Jesus showed up in Jerusalem for the 2nd coming and he couldn't get a flight out? :biglaugh:

That's a sweet motorcycle though.

And it was all paid for with your hard earned money, huh? That's effed up.

Ok----That's not THE exact scooter. But, he had one that was very, very similar. I don't know exactly how many bikes he had, but, he seemed to get a new H.D. every year.

He supposedly needed the jet so he could travel wherever he was needed to "bless" the believers. I can tell you this, though, there was an airstrip about 15 minutes away from the Ohio Limb HQ. From Int. HQ, in New Knoxville, to that airstrip, is less than an hour by air. Never once during my time in fellow laborers (a two year in-rez program at Limb HQ) did VPW EVER visit the fellow laborers.

Edited by waysider

I don't suppose VPW was the first religious leader to rob his ministry in order to fund a lavish lifestyle. He may have been the most vile and disgusting one, though.

Just going by what I've read, of course.

:)

Did the LCM dirtbag get to "live the life", too?

I don't suppose VPW was the first religious leader to rob his ministry in order to fund a lavish lifestyle. He may have been the most vile and disgusting one, though.

Just going by what I've read, of course.

:)

Did the LCM dirtbag get to "live the life", too?

and then some-----until he got caught with his pants down.