GreaseSpot Cafe

The Great Distraction

JavaJane

I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I was so deceived by all the things going on around me... and I realized that it was ALL THE THINGS going on around me - the huge pile of menial tasks I had to complete in order to be pleasing to God, to earn my rewards in heaven, to keep the adversary from attacking. I was so distracted by trying to be perfect, by trying to live up to the impossible standard that I never even saw how ridiculous it all was.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3:1-3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

I don't generally quote a lot of scripture anymore, but I can tell you who "bewitched" me to follow the works of the law (decent and in order, attend every meeting, don't fellowship with unbelievers, mark and avoid those who are outside the gates of Zion, dress codes, pray for this, SIT for this amount of time every day - and everything listed in the thread called "The Weird Little No-Nos of TWI")...

THE WAY INTERNATIONAL.

It was all a magic show filled with distractions where we never saw the man behind the curtain, only all the things we had to scramble to do in order to be right with God, while they committed atrocities behind our backs. They separated us from those who saw them for who they were by the practice of Mark and Avoid, and made threats to our safety by telling us all the terrible things that would happen to us if we ever left.

Meanwhile, I just kept cleaning, drinking the Kool-Aid, attending meetings and trying (in vain) to live up to the standard.

I was thinking along these same lines this morning.

I posted on FB yesterday about my college grade. A friend asked me what my plans were after graduating, etc. Hubby& I own a small business so I told her I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Plus I am learning alot about business!!

Then I thought about all the hours that I spent driving to meetings, meetings, and more meetings. That took so much of our time. Thank God that I had a good job after my WOW years but I could have made so much more money with a degree.

- "the huge pile of menial tasks I had to complete in order to be pleasing to God, to earn my rewards in heaven, to keep the adversary from attacking. I was so distracted by trying to be perfect, by trying to live up to the impossible standard that I never even saw how ridiculous it all was"

AMEN and AMEN!!!!

Great post JJ. It's a real dog and pony show for sure. They keep you busy and then explain away why things they teach don't work, usually blaming the person who needs the help.