GreaseSpot Cafe

Going, Going..........Gone

skyrider

Victor Paul Wierwille, Don Wierwille and Howard Allen were CLUELESS in understanding the mounting responsibilities heaped upon FIELD WAY CORPS.

Erkjohn's post in The Final Straw thread......exposes the trustees' bullying of way corps in early 1980s

Going to the Rock and Corps Week was a major ordeal. V.P. wrote a letter to the Corps saying his heart was broken that so many Corps left prior to the Rock. His words were, "Corps...if you can't stand with me at the Rock, then don't bother coming to Corps Week either. If your job won'e let you to, quite your job!" Then he said something about wavering in our believing.

So, to pull that off, one had to get a job that gave you 3 weeks vacation a year. It takes about 3 days to drive from Idaho to Ohio, 2 weeks at HQ, 3 days to drive back. It took money to fly, which meant you had to have a good job, which few of us did. So tell me where a person can get a job that gives them 3 weeks off a year right off the bat. Yet, if one was on staff, you were given time for Rock and Corps Week, plus given two weeks vacation a year. Then one day visiting clergy came to the state. One of the Corps Coordinators and taught a seminar on government. Oooh! Now that's certainly worth a 9-hour trip! Afterwards, he meets with the Corps and asks us why more Corps don't come to Way Family Camps. It was then I realized that TWI leadership was completely out of touch with what was going on out on the field. For the first time in my 10-year involvement in TWI, I'm starting to get disgruntled.

Then, to top it off, I received a letter from Donald Wierwille. He's mad because the College Division Alumnae who were also Corps Grads (me) were not attending special College Division funtions. He went as far as to say we had "attitude problems". I worked 12-hour days at the Rock, man, for free! In fact, I paid my own way to get there. One year I sold my car just to have enough to go and listen to "God's Word Served on a Silver Platter" for the like the 15th time. Now here's this guy in his ivory tower issuing smart-assed accusations about something of which he knows nothing. I was ....ed!

I was considering writing a nasty letter back and weighing whether it was worth getting kicked out of the Corps over. I doubt I would have had the guts to really do it, but I was on my way. It became a moot point about a week later because that's when Geer read Passing of the Patriarch for the first time. I sort of thought that Dean Don may be somewhat busy at that point.

So, there you have it.

Ironic, isn't it?....wierwille's "heart gets broken" over this? Can you spell m-a-n-i-p-u-l-a-t-i-o-n? Gee, didn't Geer use "wierwille's heart was broken" in his poop paper? Yep!

It was ALL about wierwille........and still is.

Where was the spiritual perception and awareness at the trustee level?

Where was the compassion to listen with the heart and relieve the heavy burdens?

Where was the "minister" who said in pfal that he'd NEVER preach another negative sermon?

For all of wierwille's "spiritual perception and awareness".....he never figured it out.

Thousands of verses of scripture.......and the trustees couldn't understand twi's revolving door.

Twi was a cult.........and still is.

<_<

Victor Paul Wierwille, Don Wierwille and Howard Allen were CLUELESS in understanding the mounting responsibilities heaped upon FIELD WAY CORPS.

Where was the compassion to listen with the heart and relieve the heavy burdens?

Where was the "minister" who said in pfal that he'd NEVER preach another negative sermon?

For all of wierwille's "spiritual perception and awareness".....he never figured it out.

Thousands of verses of scripture.......and the trustees couldn't understand twi's revolving door.

<_<

Two things:

1) Law of believing puts all the responsibility / burden to "operate" the promises / power of God on the person. No reliance on God because he has already given us everything in Christ. So if something is a-miss - it can't be God or his "matchless" Word because they are perfect. Mathematics according to Wierwille makes the weakest link the person, who is quite imperfect. Therefore, an increase in believing is always needed.

2) Perhaps this should be number one? Either way. The trustees / current directors isolate themselves from the populace. They live in a bubble. They like it that way and they keep it that way on purpose. Layer upon layer of protocol and confidentiality insulate them almost entirely. Also, they confer almost exclusively with themselves - the present day director group (sham that it is ) gathers no meaningful input from cabinet, region or country coordinators. They attend meeting after meeting, week after week, amongst themselves. They have their salaries paid, housing provided, food right at their fingertips, and even though they work long hours, they are completely in control of their little insignificant world. All of HQ revolves around them. I cannot overstate it.

Then they turn an about face, from their smug little perspectives and dare to pontificate amongst themselves why something is the way it is, or why people are not doing such and such when they should be. From my experience their attitude towards others outside their group is one of superiority and any efforts they make towards others is reaching downward to help the incapable.

In essence they are totally removed from real life in today's society. They haven't a clue. Yet they deem themselves spiritually responsible for God's people and, therefore, rule "god's ministry" supposedly with other's best interest in mind. The result? Burden upon burden piled upon those down the pyramid. The lowly branch coordinator is encumbered with a full time job, a family and kids - usually, and 30+ hours of ministry work. When classes run that 30+ hours usually becomes 60 hours. But hey all those reports they have send to the limb coordinator are REALLY important. :realmad:

Even worse for international field Corps, because of the cost of airfares from home countries - for flights taken often at busy times (summer hols), therefore at highest rates to pay. And from countries where the pay rates may be considerably lower than in the US. Never any offer of a subsidy or partial refund. Just a questioning of one's priorities, or ability to believe God, if one wondered if it might not be possible.

Sometimes it was hard to get a ride from the airport to HQ - that was our responsibility to arrange - not HQ's. Or they would say they'd pick us up from somewhere that was easy for them, but difficult to arrange on international carriers. Columbus was reasonably easy for international travelers, but too far for HQ to pick us up; Dayton was hard (or considerably more expensive) to fly into but they would collect from there.

Thank God some of the staff (usually in the International Department) or good solid field believers, out of the goodness of their hearts, would come and get us from whichever airport we managed to arrive at.

And also...partly because of the cost of airfares (but there may be other family factors as well, like pregnancy, or several small children, or school - because August is term time in some countries), not everyone could make it to RoA. So you make some arrangements for people staying behind to meet and fellowship back in the home area.

One year, the instruction from HQ was, don't bother with those people. If they can't be bothered to get to HQ, they aren't really interested. Don't bother making any arrangements for them.

Loving and caring, or what?

Ambassador One was long gone by the time I was traveling to HQ. It would have been good, though, wouldn't it!

You know, I just realized what the L in LCM stands for...Legalistic! His cry: "Be exceptional, not an exception!" And International WC shouldn't expect anything special or exceptional, over what mainland US WC got. I can see that it might be difficult to run a collection service for every single person coming to RoA or even Corps week - but for those who have no option but long flights, a little help would be welcome.

I have to say, though, that I never had real difficulty, thanks to the International Outreach office, helpful staff in that office and others who really did love helping Internationals; and big-hearted believers on the field who were always willing to help WC. God bless 'em (in one case, God rest his soul). These people realized how heartless that mandate was.

Two things:

1) Law of believing puts all the responsibility / burden to "operate" the promises / power of God on the person. No reliance on God because he has already given us everything in Christ. So if something is a-miss - it can't be God or his "matchless" Word because they are perfect. Mathematics according to Wierwille makes the weakest link the person, who is quite imperfect. Therefore, an increase in believing is always needed.

2) Perhaps this should be number one? Either way. The trustees / current directors isolate themselves from the populace. They live in a bubble. They like it that way and they keep it that way on purpose. Layer upon layer of protocol and confidentiality insulate them almost entirely. Also, they confer almost exclusively with themselves - the present day director group (sham that it is ) gathers no meaningful input from cabinet, region or country coordinators. They attend meeting after meeting, week after week, amongst themselves. They have their salaries paid, housing provided, food right at their fingertips, and even though they work long hours, they are completely in control of their little insignificant world. All of HQ revolves around them. I cannot overstate it.

Then they turn an about face, from their smug little perspectives and dare to pontificate amongst themselves why something is the way it is, or why people are not doing such and such when they should be. From my experience their attitude towards others outside their group is one of superiority and any efforts they make towards others is reaching downward to help the incapable.

In essence they are totally removed from real life in today's society. They haven't a clue. Yet they deem themselves spiritually responsible for God's people and, therefore, rule "god's ministry" supposedly with other's best interest in mind. The result? Burden upon burden piled upon those down the pyramid. The lowly branch coordinator is encumbered with a full time job, a family and kids - usually, and 30+ hours of ministry work. When classes run that 30+ hours usually becomes 60 hours. But hey all those reports they have send to the limb coordinator are REALLY important. :realmad:

So true.

Twi's BOD is layered in levels of constricting bureaucracy.....hiding behind stacks of reports......only to mingle at lunchtime with their fawning faithful followers.

No......Go, Stand and Speak to all the people.

Nope, twi lives in OT times of "Come and See."

In the early 80s.....it was commonly understood that the Branch coordinator's job (7-12 twigs, 60-120 people) was the hardest job in the way ministry. Not on twi payroll, the Branch coordinator needed to work a full-time job to support his family. Overseeing classes, writing reports, teaching weekly leadership mtgs, endless phone calls, blue forms. No such thing as a weekend.

Twi BOD........hypocrites. They walk the "marketplaces" to be seen of people and desire the adulation and praise of men. They have their reward.

No....greatest leader is the greatest servant at twi's hq.

Wierwille's structure is a pyramid of the privileged.

No....foot-washers. No.....care and concern for field leaders.

That's why.....Going, Going -- Gone.

Edited by skyrider

Not tarring all the Way Corps with the same brush, but in addition to the BOT not having a clue about what the Corps on the field had to deal with, oftentimes there'd be fresh from HQ Way Corps, mostly singles or young marrieds with no kids, who'd take HQ's crap to heart and would in turn have no clue what a typical family had to deal with.

Probably the most enjoyable (or least stressful) time in TWI in the 90's was when a Family Corps couple with several kids came, first as WOW coordinators and the following year as Limb Coordinators. The couple both worked full-time jobs and were active in their kids' school. Their TWI responsibilities were over and above what regular people had to do. When they left we were saddled with several idiots who didn't understand that kids sometimes got sick, or had Boy Scout events, or that the parents had to work overtime and that we occasionally wanted to use our vacation time for something other than TWI classes. We home-schooled our kids and I worked out of the home so they assumed that we were always free to just drop what we were doing to go witness, or have a meeting, or have "leadership" drop in. :CUSSING:

Dear Sky-So true-I had kids was trying to make ends meet, ran 3 felllowships per week, plus leadership meetings and "corpse" nights. Don't know how I did it. And do you think the ministry helped out in any way. Nope. I just don't know how I didn't figure it out sooner that I was being used. How did I get so tricked. I could see VP had a big ego and it didn't seem to register. Was it because he was touted as the MOG? I just don't get it sometimes.

Twinky-I was the one who picked up all those Int. leaders coming in for Corps week. When I got one on one with them they usually had stories about how they were being screwed by TWI.

Erkjohn's post in The Final Straw thread......exposes the trustees' bullying of way corps in early 1980s

Ironic, isn't it?....wierwille's "heart gets broken" over this? Can you spell m-a-n-i-p-u-l-a-t-i-o-n? Gee, didn't Geer use "wierwille's heart was broken" in his poop paper? Yep!

It was ALL about wierwille........and still is.

<_<

Broke his heart?? WTF....what heart?

Ploar Bear, thanks for collecting the Internationals. You never collected me, I know, but there were (at one time) quite a lot of internationals and we probably all needed just that little bit extra help.

Still amazes me that TWI was where I met some of the most genuine "what-can-I-do-to-help-you?" type of Christians, and the worst "what-can-I-get-out-of-you" Christians. The former, of course, often didn't get very far up the Way tree. They went or got kicked out.

Dear Sky-So true-I had kids was trying to make ends meet, ran 3 felllowships per week, plus leadership meetings and "corpse" nights. Don't know how I did it. And do you think the ministry helped out in any way. Nope. I just don't know how I didn't figure it out sooner that I was being used. How did I get so tricked. I could see VP had a big ego and it didn't seem to register. Was it because he was touted as the MOG? I just don't get it sometimes.

Twinky-I was the one who picked up all those Int. leaders coming in for Corps week. When I got one on one with them they usually had stories about how they were being screwed by TWI.

polar bear......good to "see" you.

Yeah, running 3 fellowships a week, leadership meetings, planning meetings, witnessing events, corps nights AND THE WORK LOAD INCREASED WHEN CLASSES RAN. What did twi leadership think.....we were iron robots?

As twi evolved, having more programs and classes......hoops, hoops and more hoops.

Even back in 1978/1979......I recognized that 4th, 5th and 6th corps were LEAVING TWI. Yet, wierwille didn't seem to connect the dots, nor did he or his pyramid pals grasp the disconnect. Wierwille certainly didn't like those three 8th corps guys research that differed from wierwille's. Corps nights evolved into a 20-30 minute bi+ching session and then, the "literals according to usage."

Besides needing 3 weeks off work each year to travel to Ohio, attend Corps Week and ROA......a majority of those corps assignments CHANGED every three years. Now, starting out at a NEW JOB........how do you get 3 weeks off work and fulfill wierwille's mandates of attending cw & roa? Those living in California, Washington, etc or the International Corps had all these challenges and more. YET....it wasn't any concern for wierwille???

Where was the love...????????

:anim-smile:

I'm inclined to believe that Wierwille actually wanted membership to be a revolving door. With each new member came a whole new set of opportunities for income. Like Amway. Do they really want the same bunch of "dealers" to stick around forever? Of course not. They want to bring in fresh faces with a whole new set of contacts.

That's the secret of success for any MLM organization.

Edited by waysider

I'm inclined to believe that Wierwille actually wanted membership to be a revolving door. With each new member came a whole new set of opportunities for income. Like Amway. Do they really want the same bunch of "dealers" to stick around forever? Of course not. They want to bring in fresh faces with a whole new set of contacts.

I would not be surprised a bit....but......looks like that little strategy backfired. There's hardly anyone left and Rosalie still talks all the bull about a faithful remnant.... :biglaugh:

I would not be surprised a bit....but......looks like that little strategy backfired. There's hardly anyone left and Rosalie still talks all the bull about a faithful remnant.... :biglaugh:

I'm not so sure it backfired. The plan served Wierwille quite well during his lifetime. I don't think he gave a rat's behind what sort of success it would have in the long run.

Ya, I was considering the shape things are in today and I guess I didn't really give credit to the forehead and others for wrecking the gravy train. One could surmise that had they followed wierwille's lead a little better in appearance then it would still be on the rails.

Ya, I was considering the shape things are in today and I guess I didn't really give credit to the forehead and others for wrecking the gravy train. One could surmise that had they followed wierwille's lead a little better in appearance then it would still be on the rails.

Every businessman knows......"Timing is everthing."

Wierwille saw BG Leonard's class as a model for MLM christianity.....and the 1967 pfal class hit the market at the right time. With the Jesus Movement in full swing, wierwille embraced the moment and sold his class on every street corner.

Sometimes, I think we give wierwille FAR TOO MUCH credit. Everything in Mrs. W's book shows that veepee didn't have any answers. The spiritual 40 club sponsored the travel expenses and fees of many men......of whom, wierwille took note.

A narcissist lives for himself.

Even worse for international field Corps, because of the cost of airfares from home countries - for flights taken often at busy times (summer hols), therefore at highest rates to pay. And from countries where the pay rates may be considerably lower than in the US. Never any offer of a subsidy or partial refund. Just a questioning of one's priorities, or ability to believe God, if one wondered if it might not be possible.

Sometimes it was hard to get a ride from the airport to HQ - that was our responsibility to arrange - not HQ's. Or they would say they'd pick us up from somewhere that was easy for them, but difficult to arrange on international carriers. Columbus was reasonably easy for international travelers, but too far for HQ to pick us up; Dayton was hard (or considerably more expensive) to fly into but they would collect from there.

Thank God some of the staff (usually in the International Department) or good solid field believers, out of the goodness of their hearts, would come and get us from whichever airport we managed to arrive at.

And also...partly because of the cost of airfares (but there may be other family factors as well, like pregnancy, or several small children, or school - because August is term time in some countries), not everyone could make it to RoA. So you make some arrangements for people staying behind to meet and fellowship back in the home area.

One year, the instruction from HQ was, don't bother with those people. If they can't be bothered to get to HQ, they aren't really interested. Don't bother making any arrangements for them.

Loving and caring, or what?

Oh my! That's awful! I was somehow under the impression that since Europe was its own trunk, there were no travel requirements to HQ every year. No, that would have been far too sensible. I'm whining about a few hours and a few hundred dollars while having to have the type of job that would allow for TWI activities. Wow! That's nothing compared to you internationals. Sorry for all the trouble you had to endure.

Edited by erkjohn

The so-called trunk or limb or whatever they called it based at Gartmore (under C Geer) didn't thrive. Was opened about 87 and folded only a few years after that, early 90s, after PoP. Was supposed to be a European centre but never was, really.

And that only accounts for Internationals from Europe.

There were (maybe still are?) internationals from Africa and Australasia. The USA might be quicker and easier to get to (than Europe) from southern Pacific countries, but it's still a very long swim or expensive airfare.

South America also has/had a lot of believers inc Corps; I think Venezuela has become some sort of a focal point now (big splinter group there) but it wasn't at the time. There was no South American "trunk" so far as I'm aware.

I honestly don't think Weirwille had any conception of what life is like for people in other countries. There was NEVER any effort to emphathize or do things the local way, there was little allowance for different customs, and there is no understanding that the needs and priorities of people in other countries might be different. Culturally boorish. You'll recall how he "dissed" a respected Brit theologian in the PFAL foundational class. And how he "healed" some poor Indian man, and as a result was held in awe by Indian officials - basically, he was saying he expected other countries to fall at his feet in awe. But he wasn't seeing them as people.

I honestly don't think Weirwille had any conception of what life is like for people in other countries. There was NEVER any effort to emphathize or do things the local way, there was little allowance for different customs, and there is no understanding that the needs and priorities of people in other countries might be different. Culturally boorish.

A few years ago they had the international outreach department start working with some of the internationals students to make sure they wore deodorant to the advanced class. :biglaugh:

A few years ago they had the international outreach department start working with some of the internationals students to make sure they wore deodorant to the advanced class. :biglaugh:

Should have instructed them to study John 11

"Lord, he stinketh!"