GreaseSpot Cafe

Placements everyone!

OldSkool

Well, I almost forgot that this time of the year is quite a tremendous time around ye olde' cornfield. Yep this is the time of year that Placements are held. At one time I was mystified by the way speak regarding this event. To paraphrase: "Placements is where every way corpse and staff assignment are considered in light of whats best for the individual and the ministry." Like most everything else in the way international, the talking points and what really happens are two entirely different things.

O.k. first for some background. Placements is officially considered one of the longest running events in the way international. It starts in December (or perhaps before) and concludes roughly in August when everyone is in their new assignment. In December the department coordinators at headquarters are asked to conduct "informal" interviews with staff, I am not sure if these informal interviews are conducted on the field. Anyways the informal interviews are designed to pick up on any "needs." The most immediate needs I usually found were people planning to leave staff...lol

Next comes the placements interviews that happen in January. Directors interview cabinet, cabinet interview department coordinators, department coord. interviews everyone else, the cabinet running the way of the usa interview the region coord,, the region coordinators interview limb coord., limb coord. interview branch coord., and so on. The interviews are pretty lame overall and information has a way of being left off of / filtered from the PAF papers that are used to gather the info and sent to the way corps department.

Next comes pre-placements. These are cabinet meetings usually held once every couple weeks or so that work like this. :yawn1: First the cabinet review the information that is on the PAF files, this is done partly in the meeting and partly outside the meeting. The second meeting is another review session of open positions and the paperwork again. The third reviews potential hires. Most time people who submit an application to work on staff, and few there are, are first considered by the board of directors and then go into que for consideration and assignment during placements. Anyways, pre-placements can be thought of as a series of copy edit sessions performed by people who don't know how to copy edit. The importance of these meetings is STRESSED to the participants underscoring how incredibly boring the meetings really are.

In the interim many closed door meetings happen between cabinet and directors and directors amongst themselves to get a bead on who can fill what position. Typically, if a way corps person requests no change then it's likely they will be left in their current assignment unless their "boss" wants to change them around for whatever reason. Occasionally, someone will come to mind who would be able to fill a certain position so they would be considered for an assignment change. My point is there are lots of back room ramblings between individual cabinet and their director. In essence the cabinet represent the entire way international to the directors, even though the cabinet have little meaningful authority.

Well, each year it's inevitable that May will roll around and with it comes Placements. The meetings usually run from Tuesday to Saturday in the mornings, afternoons are for phone calls etc, and then re-convene in the evenings. By this time all the cabinet have notebooks with all the assignments, potential new hires, graduating way corps, etc. It's basically the same mundane information sorted several ways. And during these meetings the notebooks are sifted through frontwards and backwards, sideways and then back again. It is EXTREMELY boring. The cabinet read their respective areas and when it comes to a possible hire they state "I would like to consider Joe Blow be the bolt counter in Transportation." As the days progress people are moved from considered, to proposed. Once they clear the proposed status then they will not be approved until the directors can scurry off to their private meetings and put the stamp of approval on the proposed assignment. Even though the proposed assignment would already have been approved by the respective cabinet's director. Yes these goofs re-approve things they have already approved. I guess you can never have too much approval!

And finally, the last meetings are where the entire notebook is read aloud front to back. Each cabinet reads each and every assignment aloud to catch typos and other potential errors. :sleep1:

Now let me say this. In the end it's the directors that make the changes, hire new people, etc. The cabinet half heartedly represent tiny pieces of information concerning the individuals who are being considered for a new assignment. If a person is not being considered for a change then very little if anything is considered about them. If a person is being considered then it's almost always slanted towards what they can do for the way international. VERY little consideration is given to their individual situations or needs. Also, I have personally known people who gave specific requests in their interviews only to have it filtered out as the information travels to the top of the pyramid.

So, as boring as this thread is, I thought I would put it out there. It exposes the farce that this supposed "spiritually significant" event really is. It also show the complete lack of biblical teaching during the meetings. These meetings are administrative in nature and are conducted with a task oriented approach. It is said amongst those in the way corpse or on staff that the assignment is where God wants them to be. Well, sorry to break the news to you. Your assignment is where Rosalie wants you to be and if you trust her as God then you may want to consider what you are accepting in your life.

But I am going to let a dirty little secret out of the bag. Listen up lurkers! Since the Allen lawsuits the nature of assignments has CHANGED. You cannot be ordered what to do. In fact you can refuse and they can't do anything. I have seen many way corpse refuse assignments and there is nothing the directors can do about it. The exception would be staff positions where they control hire/fire. In other words if you were asked to go on the field that is a little different because they are your employer. However, you must consent to what the directors would like you to do. If you keep your cool and tact then you can simply state what you are going to do. Once you accept an assignment you will receive notification by mail that your assignment is so and so. That letter needs to be signed and returned to headquarters. And that is in essence your contract with the ministry and proof in writing that you consent to what they want you to do. How do you like that, Bible fans!

I could say a lot more but will not for brevity sake. This is long and boring enough as it is.

They should just go back to the way they did it in the early years--------throw darts at a dartboard.

Well, they would save a lot of money that way...lol

Long & boring? Not from where I sit.

When Waydale was up and in the early days of Grease Spot there were lots of folks at HQ and in field leadership positions who kept us up-to-date, as well as non-leadership folks like me and Belle who posted synopses of STS and Way Mag articles.

The last few years have been kind of dry.

Then the company line was that most of what was discussed here was old news. It's nice to have a recent escapee like yourself, who was right in the midst of the lions' den to give us current info.

Thanks!

Then the company line was that most of what was discussed here was old news.

And yes, I have heard that line first hand used against people who were on staff and would bring up things they read on Grease Spot.

Edited by OldSkool

You cannot be ordered what to do. In fact you can refuse and they can't do anything. I have seen many way corpse refuse assignments and there is nothing the directors can do about it. The exception would be staff positions where they control hire/fire. In other words if you were asked to go on the field that is a little different because they are your employer. However, you must consent to what the directors would like you to do. If you keep your cool and tact then you can simply state what you are going to do. Once you accept an assignment you will receive notification by mail that your assignment is so and so. That letter needs to be signed and returned to headquarters. And that is in essence your contract with the ministry and proof in writing that you consent to what they want you to do.

Hmm, Old Skool, they can't do anything?

Well, for one, they could consider you so spiritually proud and un-meek that you would be a danger to the people around you, not heeding their gentle guidance (cough) and God's will (cough cough) and they could drop you from Active Corps. (Martindale had some wonderful things to say about DFAC folks.) If you're an innie, that's probably a fairly terrifying thought, even in these days of the new-look TWI. They can exert a lot of mental pressure and manipulation.

If someone is on paid staff, they have employment rights and possibly changing the location of one's workplace to a long way away might contravene legislation protecting workers.

Field WC, as volunteers, can't be pushed around like that, never could be.

A lot of things happened that were "consented" to. Others might say that consent under duress is not valid consent.

Maybe they are so short of WC that these days they daren't offend the "faithful remnant" too much and daren't make them move in case they just plain move right away, permanently.

Well, I lived what I am talking about. I guess once a person realizes that the way international only has authority over you if you consent to their rule then that freedom opens a new perspective.

As for the placements process and people signing the consent forms for their assignments that is the way it is and why it is done. Should they be called on the carpet in court they have it on file that the assignments were accepted by consent giving plausible deniability. Now I never said that they would not lean on a person or hammer you with senseless cliches and way speak. Also, thats why I said to keep your cool and be respectful. They don't have the way corps anymore to discard them like used tissues. So they are trying to hang on to the remaining few. So in essence, most times when a person does not accept an assignment they move on to someone who will.

They only have a few hundred way corps remaining. They used to graduate way corps classes larger than all the active way corps. Something to think about.

I lived in mortal fear that they would decide to assign me to HQ, once I was married (to an American, who they really seemed to love). If working at HQ had been anything like being in rez, I don't think I could have stood it at all.

Anyway, they made a different decision on my behalf. They cast me out. They placed me way beyond the pale of respectability. In retrospect, it was the best thing they could have done :dance: though at the time it was desperate for me. :( :asdf:

Glad to be free.

I am really sorry you were treated that way. My treatment was bad enough but it pales in comparison to what folks have been put through in years past. The Allen lawsuit managed to make them into a toothless lion.

In my opinion anyway. When I was fighting with the directors I really didn't care so from my perspective I had nothing to lose.

Thanks for the insight OldSkool..

I remember when I was at HQ and talk of most Corps in my dept (Linder's dept.. Safety), everyone wanted out of HQ.. Myself included. It was like a waiting line I was told (I was at the bottom of that list). Some would get happy saying "I only have 1 more year after these placements, and I can leave!".. lol.. It was sad.. Really sad.. Especially when those who thought they finally would get to leave. They paid their time. Had been at HQ. Requested a spot and Linder said he'd try, only to then be talked out it or denied. Or worst yet, an non-Corps wanted to leave - in which case, they had priority. So another year. And that pushed the waiting list down again.. :(

Maybe you can shed some light on what those wanting away from HQ to go on the field had to do to get away?! I can remember some coming up with things to do to help. Getting a larger family was at the top [aka Have a child, which was a no-no :nono5: at HQ for Corps (at least while I was in).

Maybe you can shed some light on what those wanting away from HQ to go on the field had to do to get away?! I can remember some coming up with things to do to help. Getting a larger family was at the top [aka Have a child, which was a no-no :nono5: at HQ for Corps (at least while I was in).

Well that's a good question that is really an personal decision. However, for me, I decided that I was going to be honest and not really care what anyone else thought. I would rather not be way corps and not be in the way international than to be made to live as an unhappy hypocrite. Plus my situation was a tough one where we had financial hardships from medical related travel. So I guess a person has to decide what they need to do to be happy and be willing to sacrifice their corps status if the directors want them to stay and they want to go. To me thats the worse that can happen. There is always the chance that they will get the assignment they requested anyways. Once someone realizes there is really nothing to lose but bondage to the way international and in the end the way international does not care about them then decisions are real easy after that.

Just curious... I had heard that Harve wanted to be put back out on the field because he was getting fed up with the beauracracy at HQ. He probably had an easier time getting out, right? (not that I'm a Harve-fan, or anything, but it seems like he left pretty quick from a pretty cushy situation.)

From my experience, most people that want to go bad enough are given a field assignment. I was offered a branch but it was many miles away. It was a good fit for the way international but not for my family. So I received a "punishment" assignment. I got set up in my new city and then we disassociated ourselves with the way international. Best thing we ever did. I can't speak for Harve, but I would guess he got what he wanted.

Patriot might have something to add, but he doesn't come here very often these days.

Naw.. they just need to "expand" the map so to speak..

:biglaugh:

sorry, I'm just being my *normal* (?) maniacal self..

They throw the dart..

what's technically wrong with some little known place in North Dakota..

Well, I almost forgot that this time of the year is quite a tremendous time around ye olde' cornfield. Yep this is the time of year that Placements are held. At one time I was mystified by the way speak regarding this event. To paraphrase: "Placements is where every way corpse and staff assignment are considered in light of whats best for the individual and the ministry." Like most everything else in the way international, the talking points and what really happens are two entirely different things.

O.k. first for some background. Placements is officially considered one of the longest running events in the way international. It starts in December (or perhaps before) and concludes roughly in August when everyone is in their new assignment. In December the department coordinators at headquarters are asked to conduct "informal" interviews with staff, I am not sure if these informal interviews are conducted on the field. Anyways the informal interviews are designed to pick up on any "needs." The most immediate needs I usually found were people planning to leave staff...lol

Just curious - - - whatever happened to the "Revelation" we were told about, concerning placements?? biglaugh.gifspy.gifbiglaugh.gif

Edited by dmiller

Just curious - - - whatever happened to the "Revelation" we were told about, concerning placements?? biglaugh.gifspy.gifbiglaugh.gif

Ya, they act like it's such a spiritual event with lots of discussion, meditation, scripture, prayer, and the like. I cannot overstate the administrative nature of things in those meetings.

I've always wondered.. where do they place me..

The question is sincere..

Ham, I think you are right where you are supposed to be.

When I graduated from the Corps, I requested that I be sent "anywhere" because I believed it would be of God where I was sent to, since those deciding for me were so tapped in that it would be the best place for me.

I ended up in Mississippi and had the two worst years of my entire life.

When I graduated from the Corps, I requested that I be sent "anywhere" because I believed it would be of God where I was sent to, since those deciding for me were so tapped in that it would be the best place for me.

I ended up in Mississippi and had the two worst years of my entire life.

See that's the thing. According to the Bible we don't need a priest and Jesus Christ is our intercessor. Then we are to have fellowship with the Father and with the Son. So if you follow Christian doctrine we don't need anyone to speak to us as priest or lord of our lives. The concept of placements is a sham. It's wrong on so many levels. And honestly I would wager to say that it has caused much undue hardship on people by relocating them at random.