GreaseSpot Cafe

You're not gonna believe this one

polar bear

A friend of mine is involved with a certain ministry and get this-he has to go to therapy because he is being accused of having an anger problem because he gets into fights with his wife over their relations with the ministry. It's the ministry that is saying he is the one with anger problems and that "he" should be in therapy. No the wife doesn't need therapy and so he goes and does therapy and the therapist says he has no anger problems. Yet the ministry refuses to believe this and insists he keeps going for therapy.

What's wrong with this picture?

A friend of mine is involved with a certain ministry and get this-he has to go to therapy because he is being accused of having an anger problem because he gets into fights with his wife over their relations with the ministry. It's the ministry that is saying he is the one with anger problems and that "he" should be in therapy. No the wife doesn't need therapy and so he goes and does therapy and the therapist says he has no anger problems. Yet the ministry refuses to believe this and insists he keeps going for therapy.

PB,

I believe this VERY much coming from the mouths of TWI...coming from any other humans on this planet it would be complete insanity...but from TWI...it's completely believable.

I'm hoping BIG time that for this man's sake, he sees the truth and walks away from that outfit that has so debilitated so many.

: )

I'm hoping BIG time that for this man's sake, he sees the truth and walks away from that outfit that has so debilitated so many.

...walks away WITH HIS WIFE!

Sounds to me like a split is being engineered.

Hey, is this some pet therapist who might pass on info to the "ministry" (cough) (anonymously re the therapee) so that by putting two and two together, the ministry (cough) can "help" that person more?

(You don't name TWI and there are more cultish/abusive organizations than them but the same principle applies.)

Edited by Twinky

The way international worked for years to split my mothers marriage, thank God they failed. She was a "believer" and her husband an "unbeliever." She was basically told for years that he could not understand spiritual matters all the while she was constantly pressured to witness, attend meetings, and generally make deeper commitments in the household. It really strained her marriage bad. She is out today, still a little way brained, but making progress in getting her marriage back on track. My advice to any spouse in similar circumstances who wants the marriage to work is fight with everything in you to keep your marriage and eject the way international from the middle of it. First thing I would do is insist my wife come to therapy with me. That should be enough to get the ball rolling. I would love to see the way internationals circular logic and mindless cliches come to light.

So the power of the "wurd" as hammy puts it is not enough? The people who needs therapy are the ones through with the brainwash ah pardon me "renewed mind"? is still not enough? So what would happen if the people who have had the" renewed mind" had therapy. I quess they would have to get them stright jackets. and then get them to the loony bin. and would say there is something wrong with the therapist.

I'm not sure that it matters to me which ministry this friend of yours belongs to Polar Bear, but the cult-like priorities that seem to be poised to hurt them both (husband and wife) seem all too familiar to me.

I hope it doesn't end too badly, I'm guessing the organization in question doesn't have to be bad through and through to have this happen in one place to one couple.

I'm hoping for them that the group drops the hammer on the individuals responsible for putting your friend in such a bad place.

Or if that doesn't happen I hope that both of them eventually see through the twisted organizational perspective and cultish mind set.

It is so strange to me that they would encourage a secular "therapist" at all... for so long, anyone with any mental illness was just told to believe the word for deliverance - we don't need no stinking THERAPISTS! This could be interpreted as a sign they are coming out of the Medieval thinking about mental health, but I don't think so. nono5.gif Instead they are just using it as a method of manipulation to show that this guy has a problem... And that's why he's in therapy.

I agree... he needs to go WITH HIS WIFE. I went through a year of therapy on my own after leaving twi. My husband and I went to several more months of therapy after that. Most of it had to do with things we had hung on to from the twi definitions of what a "good marriage" should be. We had a lot of redefining to do. We are now much happier individually and as a couple. love3.gif

It is so strange to me that they would encourage a secular "therapist" at all... for so long, anyone with any mental illness was just told to believe the word for deliverance - we don't need no stinking THERAPISTS! This could be interpreted as a sign they are coming out of the Medieval thinking about mental health, but I don't think so.

Well, the other side of the coin they are afraid of getting sued for denying medical care to someone who wants / needs it. Before the Allen lawsuit they used to give permission for the staffers to go to the doctor or not. Now they pray for you as you are dialing the number to make an appointment. J/k on that one but you get the drift.

It is so strange to me that they would encourage a secular "therapist" at all... for so long, anyone with any mental illness was just told to believe the word for deliverance - we don't need no stinking THERAPISTS! This could be interpreted as a sign they are coming out of the Medieval thinking about mental health, but I don't think so. nono5.gif Instead they are just using it as a method of manipulation to show that this guy has a problem... And that's why he's in therapy.

I agree... he needs to go WITH HIS WIFE. I went through a year of therapy on my own after leaving twi. My husband and I went to several more months of therapy after that. Most of it had to do with things we had hung on to from the twi definitions of what a "good marriage" should be. We had a lot of redefining to do. We are now much happier individually and as a couple. love3.gif

Java ... I agree whole-heartedly with your take on TWI and it's manipulation tactics here. Knowing the couple involved, I know for a fact that the wife is 100% whole hog TWI and he's been wavering for some time now. Does that shed a little more light on the situation?

I'm glad the husband has a supportive therapist who recognizes that he doesn't have anger issues. things got a whole lot better for me when I started seeing a therapist post-marital-assault/pre-twi-exodus... in fact, I doubt I would have had the strength to leave my marriage if I hadn't been seeing a good therapist who helped me see that I was used to being used as a punching bag for all sorts of people and I didn't deserve it.

even if he started going for the wrong reason, it sounds like he's being supported and validated in a therapeutic relationship and personally I'd encourage him to keep going because he's surrounded by people who are delusional.

and yeah, it sounds like a set-up to split up the marriage. why twi wanted some people together (like me and my ex) while they work to separate others is a puzzle I can't figure out. seems like the magic formula is the bully in the relationship must be pro-twi. beyond that they don't seem to care from what I can see.

Sounds about typical.

I know of at least 2 people who were on staff who were herded off to therapists.

But I thought therapists were secular and therefore...not really needed. One just needs to renew their mind which means all they need is the ministry. Right?

What if this therapist is actually able to get this patient to actually have a cogent thought? The whole fabric of TWI will shred to pieces!

The way international worked for years to split my mothers marriage, thank God they failed. She was a "believer" and her husband an "unbeliever." She was basically told for years that he could not understand spiritual matters all the while she was constantly pressured to witness, attend meetings, and generally make deeper commitments in the household. It really strained her marriage bad. She is out today, still a little way brained, but making progress in getting her marriage back on track. My advice to any spouse in similar circumstances who wants the marriage to work is fight with everything in you to keep your marriage and eject the way international from the middle of it. First thing I would do is insist my wife come to therapy with me. That should be enough to get the ball rolling. I would love to see the way internationals circular logic and mindless cliches come to light.

Would it be o.k. if I asked if she was an "innie" before she married? I'm just curious if they tried to split a marriage that was already established pre-TWI. Not that it matters.

Would it be o.k. if I asked if she was an "innie" before she married? I'm just curious if they tried to split a marriage that was already established pre-TWI. Not that it matters.

She was married several years before she became involved in the way international.