GreaseSpot Cafe

GMIR A Biblical Research Study

James Trimm

Does anyone have any of the old GMIR segments from the old Way Magazine?

I have:

An Aramaic Approach to the Church Epistles by Karen Masterson March-April 1984

The Aramaic Origin of the New Testament by Daniel L. McConaughy May-June 1985

If anyone has any of the other installments of GMIR (if there were others) and would not mind scanning and emailing them to me at cleartruth@yahoo.com

or mailing them to:

James Trimm

Box 471

Hurst, TX 76053

I would really appreciate it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any of the old GMIR segments from the old Way Magazine?

I have:

An Aramaic Approach to the Church Epistles by Karen Masterson March-April 1984

The Aramaic Origin of the New Testament by Daniel L. McConaughy May-June 1985

If anyone has any of the other installments of GMIR (if there were others) and would not mind scanning and emailing them to me at cleartruth@yahoo.com

or mailing them to:

James Trimm

Box 471

Hurst, TX 76053

I would really appreciate it.

I've got most (if not all) of them. They first came out in the way mag in 1982, and continued through (at least) 1986. I was in the process of leaving the org in 1986, so I don't have all the way mags from that year but I do have 3 mags from that year here that all had the GMIR articles in them. It's a gloomy Memorial Day weekend here, so with nothing else of importance to do, here's a list of the ones I have:

1982:

Jan-Feb - - - The Root Form of "Mary" in the Pe$h!tta of Romans 16:6

March-April - The Tower of Babel

May-June - - -Early Patristic Evidence for the Forgery of Mat 27:52b and 53

July-August - The Key to Understanding Phil. 2:6-11

Sept-Oct - - - Speaking in Tongues and Breathing

Nov-Dec - - - The Forgiveness of God

1983:

Jan-Feb - - - - - Significance of One God in ICor 12:4-11

March-April - - - The Literary Style of Paul

May-June - - - - The Sin of Moses

July-August - - Fresh Look at Biblical Literature

Sept-Oct - - - - -To Open the Mouth

Nov-Dec - - - - - Omission of the Tribe of Dan in Rev 7*

1984:

Jan-Feb - - - -The Double Analogy of I Cor 12:12-27

March-April - - An Aramaic Approach to the Church Epistles

May-June - - - A Biblical Study of the Word "Image"

July-August - - Bible Translation

Sept-Oct - -- - Seed of the Serpent (part one)*

Nov-Dec - - - - Seed of the Serpent (part two)*

1985:

Jan-Feb - - - -The Masoretic Text of the Old Testament

March-April - - E.W. Bullinger: Champion of the Scriptures

May-June - - - The Aramaic Origin of the New Testament

July-August - - Our Debt to William Tyndale's New Testament

Sept-Oct - - - - The Early Versions of the New Testament

Nov-Dec - - - - The Sin of Ham and the Curse of Canaan

1986:

Jan-Feb - - -- - The Life and Legacy of Martin Luther

May-June - - - - Ethical Standard of a Committed Believer

Sept-Oct - - - - -The Dead Sea Scrolls

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There's a list of what I have here at the house. I could've (but didn't) include the authors and who wrote which article, but I DID put an asterisk by the Omission of the Tribe of Dan/ and also by the Seed of the Serpent (parts one and two). Docvic (supposedly) is the author of the Dan article, and lcm wrote the one on the Seed of the Serpent (both parts). Not really sure how much credence I should give to those three GMIr's, eh?? drink.giftongue.gif

I don't have a scanner here, and I really don't want to let loose of the originals, but I'll see what I can do. GMIR started out as a "noble project" (imo), but in it's latter years of existence (again my imo), it appears to have been a twi tool for "regurgitating the party line" there in the way bi-monthly rag.

Hey, can you post the one about the Dead Sea Scrolls, please?

Hey there Twinky. :) Like i said, I don't have a scanner here. And - - - I'm not that "techno-savvy".

I'm used to dealing with wires and wood (acoustic instruments), and computers mystify me.

I'll do what I can though. The GMIR article entitled "The Dead Sea Scrolls" was written by Karen Masterson (9th Corps).

• 2 weeks later...

If you enjoyed the old GMIR section you may enjoy the new Journal G'MIRA

G'MIRA: A Journal of Semitic New Testament Studies

G'MIRA: is a non-sectarian electronic journal dedicated to the study of the Semitic origin of the New Testament. Articles may cover any of the any aspect of Semitic New Testament origins of all or parts of the NT including Hebrew or Aramaic NT Textual Criticism and Hebrew or Aramaic NT Source Criticism. G'MIRA will publish academic scholarly articles (full-length articles or shorter notes are both welcome), project reports, and book reviews in a web based electronic journal. G'MIRA will be published quarterly on the Web in .pdf format.

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_68/8959000/8959636/1/print/GMIRA_2.pdf

Gmira-list is a non-sectarian e-mail discussion group devoted to the academic field of Hebrew and Aramaic New Testament studies. The list is associated with the electronic journal.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gmira-list

G’mira—An Aramaic word meaning “perfect, full-grown, mature”

Submissions to G'MIRA

All submissions of articles and project reports, as well as general inquiries, should be sent to the General Editor in electronic form (Word format). Submissions may be sent directly to the General Editor or they may be mailed on CD rom to the following address:

James S. Trimm

G'MIRA

P.O. Box 471

Hurst, TX 76053

USA

Paper copies of articles may also be submitted, providing that they accompany an electronic copy of the same article.

Or emailed as an attached file to cleartruth@yahoo.com with the Subject G'MIRA SUBMISSION.

The following fonts should be used:

For English and Latin use the Times New Roman font

For Hebrew use the SPTiberian font

For Syriac use the SPEdessa font

For Greek use the SPIonic font

All submissions are subject to a peer-review process by the G'MIRA Editorial Board.

G'MIRA: A Journal of Semitic New Testament Studies

G'MIRA: is a non-sectarian electronic journal dedicated to the study of ...

Yikes, where have I heard that before?

Sounds too much like "a worldwide, nondenominational Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry to teach those who are hungering and thirsting for the truth how to understand the Bible."

This also doesn't seem an honest thread. Post #1 asks for articles - but post #5 goes on to promote the poster's own work...again.

Edited by Twinky

Yikes, where have I heard that before?

Sounds too much like "a worldwide, nondenominational Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry

to teach those who are hungering and thirsting for the truth how to understand the Bible."

This also doesn't seem an honest thread. Post #1 asks for articles -

but post #5 goes on to promote the poster's own work...again.

Yawwwwwwwn. It does seem to be that way, eh? I agree totally, Twinky.

Post 1 asked if anyone had the old GMIR articles.

Post 2 (mine) mentioned all the ones I have here at the house.

To my knowledge, it's a pretty complete collection and it makes for some good reading.

Did I get a request from Trimm (personally) for copies of "that which he sought"?

Not so's you'd notice. He's been singularly silent about the subject, even after I posted my list.

I guess he isn't that interested in them after all. Or - - he doesn't know how to use the PM function here.

Either way - - after reading post number 5 - - -

I'm of the opinion that he's (imo) more interested in using them for his own purposes.

Not sure if the original articles were wanted to support his own ideas/ or to be studied "as is".

Right now I'm a "mite suspicious" for the reason for the original request.

The original GMIR articles hold some valid research, done by accredited folks.

If you see any of the titles I listed in "G'MIRA", they won't have come from me.

Who'd a thunk it? Now there's an (apparent) offshoot of GMIR. blink.gif

Yawwwwwwwn. It does seem to be that way, eh? I agree totally, Twinky.

Post 1 asked if anyone had the old GMIR articles.

Post 2 (mine) mentioned all the ones I have here at the house.

To my knowledge, it's a pretty complete collection and it makes for some good reading.

Did I get a request from Trimm (personally) for copies of "that which he sought"?

Not so's you'd notice. He's been singularly silent about the subject, even after I posted my list.

I guess he isn't that interested in them after all. Or - - he doesn't know how to use the PM function here.

Either way - - after reading post number 5 - - -

I'm of the opinion that he's (imo) more interested in using them for his own purposes.

Not sure if the original articles were wanted to support his own ideas/ or to be studied "as is".

Right now I'm a "mite suspicious" for the reason for the original request.

The original GMIR articles hold some valid research, done by accredited folks.

If you see any of the titles I listed in "G'MIRA", they won't have come from me.

Who'd a thunk it? Now there's an (apparent) offshoot of GMIR. blink.gif

I am very interested in receiving the old GMIR articles and remain so.

G'MIRA is free and non-Sectarian... if you don't want to read G'MIRA then don't read it...

I am not out anything if you don't and I do not gain anything of you do. It is simply an academic journal.

Edited by James Trimm

I am very interested in receiving the old GMIRA articles and remain so.

G'MIRA is free and non-Sectarian... if you don't want to read G'MIRA then don't read it...

I am not out anything if you don't and I do not gain anything of you do. It is simply an academic journal.

I did ask anyone with old GMIR sections to either mail me photocopies, or email scans to cleartruth@yahoo.com

James Trimm

PO BOx 471

Hurst, TX 76053

I am very interested in receiving the old GMIRA articles and remain so.

What qualifies it as an academic journal? Your "doctorate" degree from a non-accredited seminary (if you truly even have one)? Your time in a Jewish Seminary (thus your use of the title Rabbi)?

Didn't you also say somewhere that it was peer reviewed? Who are the "peers" who reviewed it? Are these articles written by the Rabbi that cite James Trimm or are these written by James Trimm citing the "rabbi"? Or are the "Peers" more of your hand picked friends?

(snip)

I notice a simple google search of the g'mira editorial board takes us right to your website and at the bottom of the page you are once again begging for money.

(snip)

All submissions are subject to a peer-review process by the G'MIRA Editorial Board.

What qualifies it as an academic journal? Your "doctorate" degree from a non-accredited seminary (if you truly even have one)? Your time in a Jewish Seminary (thus your use of the title Rabbi)?

Didn't you also say somewhere that it was peer reviewed? Who are the "peers" who reviewed it? Are these articles written by the Rabbi that cite James Trimm or are these written by James Trimm citing the "rabbi"? Or are the "Peers" more of your hand picked friends?

Obviously I announced the launch of G'MIRA as widely as possible, including the Assembly websites, and obviously those websites also solicit tithes and offerings.

None-the-less GMIRA is itself a non-sectarian academic journal. What makes it academic? The scope and nature of the topic.

As for the peer review board... right now, since I am launching the journal; it is just me, but I hope to expand it in the future.

Well I'll say this James, your honesty in this regard is appreciated. However, you mislead people with your talk of 'academic journals" and "peer review" and with false titles of "Dr." and "Rabbi" etc. So, while I do appreciate this moment of honesty, true integrity would include knocking off the word games. You know, if you want people to read your stuff and decide whether they buy into it or not, you'd problably get a lot further if you'd quit trying to sound like something you aren't.

There are a number of people here at the cafe who are well studied in the Bible. And by that I mean people who have studied well beyond just what TWI taught. You could learn some things from them and perhaps even teach some things to them, if you would simply change your approach.

Coming at people like you have the answer, like you know a thing that no one has heard since the first century church is a big mistake around this place. We've all heard that garbage before.

No Offense james, But a Peer Review Board of "its just me" sounds rather disingenuous.

My work has to undergo Peer Review.

It makes me smile to think of what would be said If I submitted that "just me" would be the Peer Review Board for my own work.

"and obviously those websites also solicit tithes and offerings."

Geez and I almost missed this. You snuck that in, right in the middle of those two pieces of honesty. James, don't pretend like that website isn't yours, like you aren't the one asking for tithes and offerings and donations. We all know better. That is dishonst and manipulative.

"and obviously those websites also solicit tithes and offerings."

Geez and I almost missed this. You snuck that in, right in the middle of those two pieces of honesty. James, don't pretend like that website isn't yours, like you aren't the one asking for tithes and offerings and donations. We all know better. That is dishonst and manipulative.

I did no such thing. They are directed by me, but they are for religious purposes.

As for "peer review" his Journal is less than a week old. I hope to expand the peer review process, perhaps before the next issue. But you must start building a house with one brick, when that first brick is ;aid everyone could stand around and jest saying "you can't have a house with just one brick". Geezzz.. give me a chance to build something before you start trying to tear it down.

I noticed a lot of criticism... but no criticism for the actual content....

That tells me a lot, and it speaks volumes.

James, if you'd said this is a new start-up, you'd have got a better response. But you present it as though it's up and running, a serious magazine or what have you, something established.

If you'd said, "I want to start this, do you have any articles you think would be of interest? And I will properly accredit them" - you'd probably have found a much more receptive bunch of people.

If you've read much in these forums, you'll be aware that there are a lot of people here who maintain serious study of the Bible, who think deeply about what they read, who formulate a hypothesis or understanding of a word(s) or concept(s) and who offer that for genuine peer review by sharing it in these boards. Even those who may not wish to formulate a hypothesis can offer a comment or two that can genuinely give new insight.

Please be honest.

In this thread, along with James Trimm's thread about his thoughts on VPW, one can get some interesting insights into the mind of a cult leader (or at least a wannabe cult leader). You can see the lies and manipulation, as well as the self-justification and rationalization. James says below:

I did no such thing. They are directed by me, but they are for religious purposes.

As for "peer review" his Journal is less than a week old. I hope to expand the peer review process, perhaps before the next issue. But you must start building a house with one brick, when that first brick is ;aid everyone could stand around and jest saying "you can't have a house with just one brick". Geezzz.. give me a chance to build something before you start trying to tear it down.

I noticed a lot of criticism... but no criticism for the actual content....

That tells me a lot, and it speaks volumes.

In the first paragraph, he is responding to my statement that HIS website promoting his G'MIRA journal has a place where he is begging for money. He responds by claiming that the website is "directed" by him but is for religious purposes. More lies, manipulation, justification and rationalization. Here is the information I found on the editorial board for his "academic journal" CLICK HERE

Here is a link to the same website, where it lists who is in charge CLICK HERE

Notice the website is run by James and two of his buddies.

Also notice that although he promotes this academic journal as one that is peer reviewed, he has also admitted that he doesn't actually have any "peers" reviewing it. In other words, he lied. He promoted something as peer reviewed that has never actually been peer reviewed. Once again, James answering to no one but James, despite his claims to the contrary.

And you are correct James, I have no criticized the content. I haven't read the content. I have no interest in reading the content. The way I see it, if you had something genuine to offer, you wouldn't have to lie and manipulate to promote it.

James, if you'd said this is a new start-up, you'd have got a better response. But you present it as though it's up and running, a serious magazine or what have you, something established.

If you'd said, "I want to start this, do you have any articles you think would be of interest? And I will properly accredit them" - you'd probably have found a much more receptive bunch of people.

If you've read much in these forums, you'll be aware that there are a lot of people here who maintain serious study of the Bible, who think deeply about what they read, who formulate a hypothesis or understanding of a word(s) or concept(s) and who offer that for genuine peer review by sharing it in these boards. Even those who may not wish to formulate a hypothesis can offer a comment or two that can genuinely give new insight.

Please be honest.

I believe the first line said:

In this thread, along with James Trimm's thread about his thoughts on VPW, one can get some interesting insights into the mind of a cult leader (or at least a wannabe cult leader). You can see the lies and manipulation, as well as the self-justification and rationalization. James says below:

In the first paragraph, he is responding to my statement that HIS website promoting his G'MIRA journal has a place where he is begging for money. He responds by claiming that the website is "directed" by him but is for religious purposes. More lies, manipulation, justification and rationalization. Here is the information I found on the editorial board for his "academic journal" CLICK HERE

Here is a link to the same website, where it lists who is in charge CLICK HERE

Notice the website is run by James and two of his buddies.

Also notice that although he promotes this academic journal as one that is peer reviewed, he has also admitted that he doesn't actually have any "peers" reviewing it. In other words, he lied. He promoted something as peer reviewed that has never actually been peer reviewed. Once again, James answering to no one but James, despite his claims to the contrary.

And you are correct James, I have no criticized the content. I haven't read the content. I have no interest in reading the content. The way I see it, if you had something genuine to offer, you wouldn't have to lie and manipulate to promote it.

I am clearly the editor and there is no deception there. I have already said, if you do not want to read the Journal, than do not read it.

I have intentionally sought out some of the most serious scholars who were once part of TWI's research team, and sent them PDF copies of my book The Hebrew and Aramaic Origin of the New Testament, as well as the Issue of G'MIRA seeking their feedback (and perhaps even future participation in the Journal).

So far none of these persons have criticized the content (or even me personally) Certainly none of them has emailed back anything remotely suggesting that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Ah man, now we have it…

Help us Avoid 4-Closure

* Posted by James Trimm on June 12, 2010 at 10:30pm

Friends,

As you may know my family and I fell on hard times several months ago. There were several reasons for this problem, one was that donations plummeted as the economy went south.

Believe it or not we have not made a house payment in years! It is a long story… involving a dispute with the m0rtgage company over just how much we owe and how much we had paid. It appears that in May they filed for foreclosure, but we never got served with the papers because they withdrew the 4-closure suit rather than serving us (they did serve us notice of the withdrawal). They appear to have withdrawn the suit because they have made us one last loan modification offer. This loan modification would allow us to continue living in our home with a house pay-ment below $700 a month. (Frankly we could not rent a home for my wife and five children for less that $700 a month.)

So here is the catch, the offer expires at the end of the day Monday and in order to take it, we must put $700 down on Monday. After that we do not have to start making pay-ments until August 1st.

So we REALLY need to raise as much as possible, hopefully $700 in the next 24 hours or so. So if you cannot justify supporting this ministry with tithes and offerings, consider making a freewill offering. As many of you know my wife is disabled, I stay at home to care for her, and my oldest daughter is legally blind. We simply cannot afford to find ourselves homeless.

Is this work worthy of your support? What other ministry provides this kind of teaching?

http://nazarenespace...-avoid-4closure

James, if these are your family circumstances, I am sorry that you are in difficulties. The way to escape financial difficulties could indeed be to set up your own cult and get people to support you. Many have found this extremely lucrative.

Another method is to stop messing about glorifying yourself and your cronies, and get out there and do an honest day’s work. Feel some sweat on your brow as you put your back into some legitimate labor.

Edited by Twinky

So far none of these persons have criticized the content (or even me personally) Certainly none of them has emailed back anything remotely suggesting that I have no idea what I am talking about.

You seem to be missing the point here, James. Or are you? Perhaps you're offering up this refocus on the content as a sort of strawman, a way to divert attention away from the objections that have been raised regarding the way you represent yourself and conduct business.

Edited by waysider