GreaseSpot Cafe

Does Victoria really keep Secrets?

Hills Bro

Mr. P-mosh.

Todays women are different. We make our own money and can have a kid without a husband if we cared to go that way. We want a partner someone to share things with. In some cases the woman makes more than the man. The rules are changing.

I put on lipstick and everything else. I love being a woman an accept myself for who I am. I am however obsessed with my weight. There is this whole generation of women that are succesful and weight concious. We were taught this from everything we saw in the media. If we are thin, then men will think we are sexy. The thinner you are the better. I do not have an eating disorder. I excercise all the time and if I gain five pounds I feel awful. I do have friends with eating disorders, they are thinner than me, live in nice homes, have tons of money and they don't eat. Sick isn't? I have seen women dying to be thin since I was in the 9th grade. It start younger now they start talking about their weight in 5th grade. 5th grade! If any of you have daughters, you will soon find out how much of a factor weight is and how much the media influences it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a person thinks these pics are sexist and degrading then such a person would have 12 cardiaques watching TeleMundo or some of the popular television shows in Mexico or South America where provocatively dressed women are the rule as opposed to the exception. But its seldom

interpreted as a challenge for all women to

converge on some standard of beauty.

That is - not every mexican lady considers

,for example, Salma Hayek as competition which is what happens in America where men and women alike tend to view movie stars and models as "real people" as opposed to entertainers or models selling a product. These people are well compensated to maintain a certain image which might involve plastic surgery. So what ? I don't

expect everyone to look like that nor would I like

those expectaions imposed upon me. I relaize that they are *models*. They are hired to promote

lingerie. Western civilaiztion will not cease to

exist if Victoria's Secret has a lingerie show.

Diaz, I watch Univision only when I am with my mother and my stomach turns, on some of the shows. I am not much on the soaps and Sabado Gigante, but I will watch it with her.

The women on Mexican t.v. are fat compared to these models. I know when I watch Univision, I say that girl would be considered fat to the Americans. These beautiful women have butts, stomachs and breast and are shaped like real women. They are more realistic as to what a woman should look like.

Hills, ya skamp! This is disgraceful. I suggest you leave them up for awhile though, just so we have a good example of how low TV will sink.

Truth to tell, these young ladies are a tad skinny for socks. The one on the left is cute, maybe it's the smile, the pose. She's happy! Such a happy woman! And bringing such happiness!

Myself, I like clothes that suggest. I'm very susceptible to suggestion. A little goes a long way, well, we're talking women's clothing lines here, right? Never mind, forget that topic. But I think a look that carries a surprise here and there is highly more suggestive than one that let's it all hang out. One that says "maybe" instead of "fer sure, dude!"

------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

quote:
Originally posted by AdiosMiCorazon:

Mr. P-mosh.

Todays women are different. We make our own money and can have a kid without a husband if we cared to go that way. We want a partner someone to share things with. In some cases the woman makes more than the man. The rules are changing.

I was actually going to bring that up, as well as men that stay home, but work called.

Anyway, I didn't really want to bring up the morality of it there, just try to explain to a certain degree why men prefer the young skinny girls over average women.

As far as Victoria's Secret goes, those models are mostly what gay men think straight men would like. I prefer women that have a little more meat on their bones.

quote:
Originally posted by diazbro:

If a person thinks these pics are sexist and degrading then such a person would have 12 cardiaques watching TeleMundo or some of the popular television shows in Mexico or South America where provocatively dressed women are the rule as opposed to the exception. But its seldom

interpreted as a challenge for all women to

converge on some standard of beauty.

The U.S. has some of the worst censorship in the world when it comes to TV. To get worse, you'd have to go to a fundamentalist Muslim nation like Iran. I'm not just talking about sexy women and stuff like that either.

In the U.S., it's illegal to have a roll of toilet paper on TV in a position that leads you to believe that it will be used for it's actual purpose. You can have TP rolling down a hill, you can have a kid using it as a shelf for his stuffed animals, but the moment your commercial has a guy walk into a bathroom with TP and insinuate he's going to do #2, you get fined by the FCC.

Drinking alcohol is also illegal on commercials. You can show someone with a bottle of beer in their hand hanging out with their friends, or you can show the aftermath of it, but the minute you have a person taking a sip you're busted.

I could go on and on, but the FCC are a bunch of bad words that I'm not going to type here. They censor the most rediculous things, it's suprising that they're not al Qaeda themselves.

are not D cups with size 3 bottoms, even if they do have implants.

I don't get the uproar over a VS fashion show. Don't any of you women wear lingerie anymore? Doesn't it make you feel more attractive? Is it degrading to a woman to feel like she is attractive?

Showing off a beautiful woman is not degrading to women. What is degrading to women is stereotyping them. ie, assuming if a woman is pretty she must be dumb or if she occasionally dresses sexy she must be easy.

Assuming a man won't be interested in or attracted to a woman who is less than model perfect is degrading to men. Yes there are men who only want one thing, at least for a short time in their teens and early 20's. Most men grow out of that and want something more than a pretty girl to hang on their arm....or other body parts.

BTW Rottie, I may be wrong, but I am betting the information Mr. P-Mosh posted came directly from a Learning Channel show regarding human sexuality. I saw the show and that basically was the scientific explanations they gave. They also did spend some time on cultural differences in what people find attractive.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

I have a question: Why do most of the VS (and other) models wear expressions like they want to rip someone's head off, and why do they stomp down the runway like they're about to do just that? Is that supposed to be sexy or high fashion? I don't get that at all.

Abigail, yes, I like pretty lingerie, but what I have under my clothing or under my sheets has nothing to do with having to cover my nephews' eyes during prime time.

I think they oughta put that show on cable. At least that way the audience of potential teenage anorexia and bulimia sufferers would be slightly smaller.

Linda Z

lets blame the cigarette companies for lung cancer..blame the beer companies for drunks...blame hollywood for violence...blame schools for your out of control kids...blame Rush Limbaugh and AM radio talk shows for your losing an election...blame fast food resturants for weight gain...blame beautiful successful young models for teenage anorexia and bulimia ..blame blame blame..easy way to not take responsibility for ones own actions.

Sorry ..success takes hard work..these young women have worked hard at something they enjoy doing. My son and his girlfriend were guests at this event..His girlfriend is a buyer for a company that stocks VS merchandise.. He..who looks nothing like the slobdude above, said it was all entertainment and promotion of the latest fashion. Thats how honest capitalism and marketing works. isn't it beautiful!!! Better than seeing everyone in brukas

su98afghan2.gif YUKKO!!!

Actually most men attending were there by invitation...most were buyers...many were designers..Millions of dollars worth of merchandise was purchased and many a man will be thrilled when his wife struts her stuff adorned in her VS Christmas outfit. Makes for a very warm winter here in NY and all northern states and Canada.

beer10.gif

[This message was edited by Hills Bro on November 22, 2002 at 18:45.]