GreaseSpot Cafe

Fellow Laborers of Ohio

waysider

Been picking black raspberries twice a day, fighting robins, red-winged blackbirds and wild turkeys all the way. Also a very suspicious groundhog is hovering in the back 1 1/2 acres waiting its turn.

A 20-pound cocker spaniel is no match for a 40 pound turkey. The lab, Sophie, would have had turkey dinner. The spaniel just looks at them as says "you better run; my boss is coming!"

I distinctly remember someone saying wild turkeys are shy and hard to hunt, and very smart. I don't know about the smart part but they raided the bird seed on the front porch railing last winter. That ain't shy, maybe just desperate.

I've had several friends offer to "thin the flock" but they are incredibly beautiful creatures and I'm doubtful that's a good idea.

WG

Picked a gallon plus of green beans today in 90 degree weather. Thought how sad it was Waysider is missing all this fun!

NOT!

Yeah. I shed a tear 'cause I couldn't be there for all the fun.

Edited by waysider

Seriously, I don't remember growing green beans at FLO. Squash, mustard greens and of course the delicious Swiss chard. I was never on the canning crew, didn't cook supper, and don't remmeber much about it. At least we got to eat what we grew and picked, even if we didn't like some of it.

In Family WC, we came in for the harvest and canning (we had both learned about canning veggies by that time) but of course all the good stuff went to NK for consumption by LCM and his buddies. When it came to making salsa we were NOT to use any onions or garlic in the salsa. LCM loathes onions and hates garlic. I suggested we make a small batch for his exclusive use, give it a name like "El Presidente Salsa" or something, maybe, but it turned out that who in the he11 was I to LIKE onions and garlic in salsa if the greatest man of God who ever lived did not?

They kept pigs, but we never had a barbecue, very seldom ate pork, a boatload of chickens and we did get chicken sometimes and had raised and slaughtered beef and we got none of that. The best meal we got was Thanksgiving dinner and later that night they told us to start packing as our son was not sufficiently intimidated to allow us to stay.

I understand the BOD ate quite well, though.

WG

Come to think of it, I don't remember green beans either. Of course, there's nothing especially memorable about green beans anyhow. Your hubby would be the best source of information on the matter that I know of.

I was just thinking about you FLOS today. I thought about how it must have really sucked to go all the way through the program and then have to go through the Corps to get taken seriously as a leader. You guys went through this rigorous program only to watch Corps people, many with less talent, assume the main leadership positions in the state.

Well, I'm glad I was able to bless your day! :)

You're the best!

Edited by erkjohn

Yeah, it was interesting. It was in the middle of our first year that it was announced that the goal VP set forth was for even the humble twig leader to be required to be a WC grad.

Our principles were identical to WC principles. We did all this AND worked full time jobs. We had no say on who we roomed with, what and when we ate, were overseen to a fare-thee-well. I remember getting bytched at, um, make that reproved for tasting something I was cooking; "you are stealing food from your brothers and sisters." "No, I'm making sure it won't kill them."

There was a huge diversity of individuals with different experience in different things. One soul unplugged a freezer in the basement to use a power tool, and forgot to plug it back in. This went unnoticed until someone later replugged it, only to have some of us fall victim to food poisoning later in the month. Even though a few made the connection, no apologies, but gee whiz, where was our believing? "Where was YOUR common sense? That freezer should have been examined and anything that could carry any kind of food poisoning discarded, the instant someone noted its unplugged state". I was sick for a week and passed out when I stood up to get on my running shoes at 5:30 am. My lovely little house leader could not believe I would let a briefly unconscious moment keep me from the morning run. I had been vomiting all night. So had several others; Waysider hopefully escaped that happy event, but may remember it in any event.

I had no idea what I was getting into at the time, and when the FLO BL called me an "arrogant little bytch" I just stared at him in amazement. Should have given him a punch in the snot locker. The first house leader I had told me later she had made it her mission to "break me." Guess what? Didn't happen. I came there for the same reason I went out WOW, to serve God, not a ministry or a group of people. Marrying Mr. Garden was the best thing out of both programs; made all the pressure, rules, regulations and Swiss chard well worth it.

WG

Erkjohn, we were always glad you were our friend.

WG

I was just thinking about you FLOS today. I thought about how it must have really sucked to go all the way through the program and then have to go through the Corps to get taken seriously as a leader. You guys went through this rigorous program only to watch Corps people, many with less talent, assume the main leadership positions in the state.

Well, I'm glad I was able to bless your day! :)

You're the best!

To tell you the truth, Fellow Laborers pretty well squelched any aspiration I had for a leadership position.

Like many others, I was just relieved when the whole fiasco was finally over.

Edited by waysider

All I wanted to be was Mrs. Garden at the end of it all. Went to Athens where we were recommended to be twig area coordinators, but a little 7th WC snot on his interim year was sent there instead. Put up with his dang for a year, got a 6th WC grad to make our lives miserable (DON'T glom onto someone's spouse when they've only been married for a year and I'm NOT about to share) and Mr. Garden graduated and we moved to FL.

Erkjohn, we were always glad you were our friend.

WG

And I still am!! :love3:

To tell you the truth, Fellow Laborers pretty well squelched any aspiration I had for a leadership position.

Like many others, I was just relieved when the whole fiasco was finally over.

Well, see? You learned something valuable after all! :beer:

Edited by erkjohn

• 1 month later...

What's up with the location being The Way of Ohio?? Are these guys still/once again active TWI? I knew Laura when I lived in Athens and have seen her once at work.

Somehow I don't feel quite the same about the experience as Don is suggesting - took what we learned - I am not sure I learned any great truths. I know a bit about growing vegetables.

WG

It wasn't Athens, it was Delaware, the second time when we came back from the Left Coast.

Thanks for posting it. I don't think I'm in the 3/4 one but maybe that's me in the second row almost all the way to the right in a very ugly dress. Surely I wouldn't have worn such a dress.

Kind of interesting.

WG

Mr. Garden and I perused the 3/4 picture and he agrees. "That is too you!" he said but couldn't remember the dress, either. Hopefully my taste has improved.

Who is the guy to your immediate left, and the girl to his immediate left? We couldn't find C*ndy Anders*n, either.

And who is the hair-challenged fellow on the right between Norbert and Larry?

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

The guy to my left, I don't recognize. The guy between Norbert and Larry is, I think, Bruce D!ll. (Not a very good picture of him, if it is.) Answer to the other question is Cathy Dech@nt.

Lots of faces missing-----must have been some other function going on that day.

Edited by waysider

• 9 months later...

Mr. Garden and I perused the 3/4 picture and he agrees. "That is too you!" he said but couldn't remember the dress, either. Hopefully my taste has improved.

Who is the guy to your immediate left, and the girl to his immediate left? We couldn't find C*ndy Anders*n, either.

And who is the hair-challenged fellow on the right between Norbert and Larry?

WG

Waysider is right, thats Bruce D. To Waysider's left, I can't recall his name, but he was the gentleman that kept the bees and gave the bees to me. Cindy A., was she the woman who was sent home with Larry?