GreaseSpot Cafe

Tethered to TWI

skyrider

A tether is a rope, cord, etc. fastened to something to prevent drifting, escape......to limit within bounds, confine.

Nametags....one's vanity tethered his/her commitment to twi. Whether a WOW Ambassador, an Advanced Class grad, a Corps grad, or Staff, the seduction of "belonging to something bigger than oneself" tethered my *renewed mind* to twi inc. No physical bars imprisoned me from leaving the Emporia campus.....even though I was disgusted with the inresidence program within months. No ropes or chains bound me at twi's hq during my years on staff.

At the end of the movie, The Devil's Advocate, is that line........VANITY, gets them every time. Keanu Reeves looks like he's free and clear to move ahead with his life and wife.......until that temptation, vanity. The movie ends leaving one to ponder.

The corps program was an exclusive "sit at the feet of the master" club. The isolation from society, the isolation from worldly news, the isolation from family, friends and loved ones only empowered the "leadership." In 1979/80......the analogy of the cherokee 'dog soldiers' was brought forward to embolden the image of their commitment to fight to the death. The dog soldier was tethered to a stake in the ground to fight the enemy.

How many stayed on the WOW field to get the WOW pin?

How many gutted it out to get wierwille's approval?

How many ate sh!t sandwiches to climb the twi ladder?

Even the Apostle Paul went to Jerusalem for the wrong reasons......and almost lost his life.

<_<

Oh, I loved my name tags in my more deluded early days. Then I remember The Forehead promoting people to go corps by throwing out the challenge "Go for the Marble!" The way corpse have marbled name tags. In the end I came to loathe name tags as just another needless, artificial barrier separating one another. In all likelihood, probably part of my deprogramming from that place.

Also the wrist bands at the ROA . . . didn't corps have their own color? Red for the sucker of honor. Blue for potential sucker. Green for potential potential sucker.

Was it white for kids or just green? Cat toys anyhow.

When I was still in, I never paid much attention to name tags in regards to any sort of pecking order. Maybe they just weren't emphasized as much then. Or maybe I was oblivious. I don't know.

edit:

I always hated wearing name tags. Not because of anything heavy or symbolic. I just felt like they were a physical inconvenience. We had to wear them in Fellow Laborers. My goodness, we lived with the same 50 people, 24/7/365. Didn't we know who was who?

Edited by waysider

Not just vanity... IDENTITY!

They led us to invest identity, to define our SELVES in terms of their organization. And shameful to say, I at least led others also.

Love,

Steve

Yes......I referred to this as "belonging to something bigger than oneself."

I honestly think that I'd have slipped away MUCH SOONER had it not been for twi's incessant manipulation. I should have seen it, but shame on THEM for THEIR deception and seduction.

I thought is was cool when I got the name tags with magnets . . . instead of the pin.

Now, magnets are a sign of cool. :B)

I always thought it was cool when I could buy the little plastic insert thing with the alligator clip on it. Then I could stick the pin through the holes and use the alligator clip to attach the nametag to places very easily.

Like, for example, I could clip it to my pants zipper, stick my thumbs in my pockets, point to it, and smile at the Sunday Teaching Service ushers.

I used to have a few name tags, all in different colors. Not sure if I have this right, but - - -

There was a white one (WOW, I think)/ green (Avd. Class, I think), and gold (U. of L.).

They've long gone by the "wayside" They made dandy ice scrapers for my car's windshield. :)

They might have stood up to "scrutiny" in way world, but they didn't last long against Minnesota ice.

And yes - - - for those of you familiar with the term "Minnesota Nice", that's a pun. tongue.gif

I doubt it's right to say people "stuck it out" to be able to get the WoW pin, or anything else, really.

I do think people stuck it out because they had made a commitment to do whatever they were doing, and wanted to see that through. TWI taught so much about commitment (mostly about commitment to the ministry that had taught you the word - gag) - about seeing things through that you'd started - about not quitting when the going got rough - and all of that is good stuff and great principles for life.

However, the commitment had subtly become shifted from Godly commitment, to a commitment to TWI. And people became misdirected because TWI is so "in the face," so that they placed the wrong focus on the commitment.

It's very liberating to understand that walking away from TWI is NOT walking away from God, and in leaving behind a God-denying organization, you may in fact be walking TOWARDS a better life with God.

• Upvote 2

I doubt it's right to say people "stuck it out" to be able to get the WoW pin, or anything else, really.

I do think people stuck it out because they had made a commitment to do whatever they were doing, and wanted to see that through. TWI taught so much about commitment (mostly about commitment to the ministry that had taught you the word - gag) - about seeing things through that you'd started - about not quitting when the going got rough - and all of that is good stuff and great principles for life.

However, the commitment had subtly become shifted from Godly commitment, to a commitment to TWI. And people became misdirected because TWI is so "in the face," so that they placed the wrong focus on the commitment.

It's very liberating to understand that walking away from TWI is NOT walking away from God, and in leaving behind a God-denying organization, you may in fact be walking TOWARDS a better life with God.

I think that was it for me exactly. I stuck through my WOW year because of the commitment I made, same with Way Disciple, and for the few years following, even though I was miserable and I knew the teachings were empty... I had made a commitment and I would stick it out no matter what. When I got married, I made a deeper vow before God to my husband, and in my mind I also made the same vow to any children we would have - that they would always be first in my heart - and that twi wouldn't take them away from me like they did with my parents and siblings.

And when that fellowship coordinator asked me if my unborn baby was "a good thing" I knew it was time to leave.

• Upvote 1

And when that fellowship coordinator asked me if my unborn baby was "a good thing" I knew it was time to leave.

Good on you JJ.

I was there to serve God. I started to wake up over a 10 year period starting with the fall of the Forehead. Of course I mostly bought Rozilla's kinder, gentler facade that she has so carefully constructed over the years. I bought it until I came face to face with her fangs and realized that she is much the monster of her predecessors. That and she will happily apply her policies to you while exempting herself. Translation: She would have heavily counseled and/or possibly demoted anyone else that treated me the way she and The Pineapple wannabe did.

Anymore, if subordinates are heavy handed or work double standards where the ministry is exposed to a potential harassment lawsuit them it's shame on them and they will be thrown under the bus if need be. However, if she leads the charge then it's the spirit of God working in her. That is until she is faced with the someone willing to start anti-harassment proceedings against them according to the staff handbook that could potentially lead to a lawsuit. Ya, she changes her tune then. Becomes oh so lovey dovey.

I stuck through my WOW year because of the commitment I made, same with Way Disciple, and for the few years following, even though I was miserable and I knew the teachings were empty... I had made a commitment and I would stick it out no matter what.

TWI and the splinters are very heavy on teaching that once you've made a vow, you have to fulfill it, and there's no godly way out. But there is! If you've made a foolish vow, all you have to do is REPENT. Just like any other sin. I felt very liberated when I started repenting of all the foolish vows I had made while involved with TWI and the splinters.

Dale Sides was one of the worst manipulators in this category. He would be in front of a group and ask us to join him in prayer by repeating out load the things he was saying as he prayed. Then, in the middle of the prayer, he would insert something like, "...and I'll pray 15 minutes each day for the India mission... and I'll contribute money for the India mission...", and before you know it, you've made a vow that you MUST fulfill.

Momentus used vows to manipulate people.

Love,

Steve

• Upvote 1

Even the Apostle Paul went to Jerusalem for the wrong reasons......and almost lost his life.

<_<

:offtopic: Just a thought. Do you think that may be yet another TWI teaching that should be brought under scrutiny? I dunno...I'm just asking out loud. I've never heard anyone else but TWI teach this.

TWI and the splinters are very heavy on teaching that once you've made a vow, you have to fulfill it, and there's no godly way out. But there is! If you've made a foolish vow, all you have to do is REPENT. Just like any other sin. I felt very liberated when I started repenting of all the foolish vows I had made while involved with TWI and the splinters.

Dale Sides was one of the worst manipulators in this category. He would be in front of a group and ask us to join him in prayer by repeating out load the things he was saying as he prayed. Then, in the middle of the prayer, he would insert something like, "...and I'll pray 15 minutes each day for the India mission... and I'll contribute money for the India mission...", and before you know it, you've made a vow that you MUST fulfill.

Momentus used vows to manipulate people.

Love,

Steve

That is MESSED UP... and slightly less subtle that what I would expect.

offtopic.gif And I am making a new thread on the Paul to Jerusalem subject because I have a lot to say, and I don't want to derail this one. offtopic.gif

lol.. Yeah, that sounds like TWI tooo.. I was never into imitating or repeating words just cause someone said to. And that included the vow we all partook of at the Corp graduation.. They worded it something along the lines of pledging a lifetime commitment to supporting God "AND those who taught them the Word..".. Wasn't about to repeat that.. Course that's not to say what they taught was "The Word" anyways.. Much of it was just BS.. I am thankful for those who have pointed much of that BS out too!

Yeah.......do what they say, NOT what they do.

When wierwille left his Van Wert Church and congregation in 1957......he broke his vow.

What's the difference between Wierwille leaving his full-time salaried position as a minister in Van Wert, Ohio and a "volunteer" way corps person leaving twi after years of (unpaid) service? How long is/was a corps grad to serve in a contaminated/evil environment?

Why should I REPENT?

The scriptures tell me to AVOID ALL APPEARENCE OF EVIL.

When wierwille left his Van Wert Church and congregation in 1957......he broke his vow.

What's the difference between Wierwille leaving his full-time salaried position as a minister in Van Wert, Ohio and a "volunteer" way corps person leaving twi after years of (unpaid) service? How long is/was a corps grad to serve in a contaminated/evil environment?

Nothing is the difference. Plus, the way international has the attitude that the ministry owes people nothing. Never mind that commitments are a two sided affair. Servants for example expect to be taken care of for their service, be it something as respectable salary. Nope - the way international would expect slavery from the people that commit themselves to the way ministry. Just another disposable resource at hand. Use it up and throw away the waste that remains. Oh, and let's work extra hard to do without because we need to steward our $54 million in abundant sharing we have squirreled away in our assets. But you need to do without and give more.

• Upvote 1

This concept of "upholding your commitment", no matter what, was a staple of Way theology. Before I became involved with The Way, I broke lots of commitments. Sometimes it's the wisest thing to do. Like when you've made a commitment to something that is impossible or detrimental. But The Way taught us that breaking a commitment, no matter what it was, was a sign of weakness. And so, they used that as a handy, dandy way to control us. Then, you throw in the gravity of the salt covenant and you're really under their thumb. I think my mind, more than once or twice, was talked out of leaving Fellow Laborers, simply because I felt bound to fulfill my "commitment". Big mistake.

This concept of "upholding your commitment", no matter what, was a staple of Way theology. Before I became involved with The Way, I broke lots of commitments. Sometimes it's the wisest thing to do. Like when you've made a commitment to something that is impossible or detrimental. But The Way taught us that breaking a commitment, no matter what it was, was a sign of weakness. And so, they used that as a handy, dandy way to control us. Then, you throw in the gravity of the salt covenant and you're really under their thumb. I think my mind, more than once or twice, was talked out of leaving Fellow Laborers, simply because I felt bound to fulfill my "commitment". Big mistake.

My commitment to God......was HIJACKED by twi manipulators.

Where in scripture (chapter and verse) is one to 'uphold his commitment' to an organization that, supposedly, is standing 'on the Word' (whatever that means)? TWI is the culprit....that 'adds a word, changes a word and therefore one no longer has the Word' in the ready-reference of pfal quotes.

Stand with twi......."no matter what"

1) What if Wierwille takes my wife for his late-night lusts?

2) What if Wierwille stole the foundational class and plagairized wholesale contents of others?

3) What if Wierwille and company black-balled good people who knew some dirty secrets?

4) What if twi hordes $54 Million and the uppities get 'extra' spending money for shopping?

5) What if twi's research has gaping holes in it and smart research people are shown the door?

6) What if safety is compromised by risky, faulty policies and personnel?

7) What if the voice of God TELLS ME TO LEAVE?

<_<

• Upvote 1

I don't 'get it',............... nametags did this to you?

Nah, were a little :offtopic:

BUT - the various commitment levels are represented on one's lapel in the color of the nametag. No doubt. I call it a spiritual caste system.

More like a castle dungeon system. with levels for the players. Hard to get out of the dungeon when you make it to level 80 and don't want to leave. For most of the leader types I've noticed it was the inability to follow the leader at the time that caused them to leave,... someone with a bigger nametag upset them. Rarely did someone leave because of a person with a lower nametag.

Am I the only one thats noticing this?

• Upvote 1