GreaseSpot Cafe

Tethered to TWI

skyrider

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 10:46 AM, T-Bone said:

I liked the movie The Devil's Advocate , and I can see similarities in how the way international exploits followers by finesse or force - temptation or coercion...and I think in the long run it's the various temptations that is the stronger tether.

I think you have an excellent point - some may stick it out for the duration - for the sense of achievement, approval from leadership, advancement, etc....

I can see that was what drove me many times during my stint...this kind of tether is so sneaky - invisible - because it's reinforced from within us....and it's one of the toughest pills to swallow when you're on the fence of whether or not to leave TWI..."do I cut my losses and move on? What about all I've invested all those years? What about all that I achieved?"

Maybe my answer to those questions was a little like Paul's thought process in Philippians 3:8 - I decided to count it all dung compared to the freedom I would have to live my life the way I want to.

EXACTLY! In light of my recent post to your "feed page", I can admit that part of my motivation to continue with them (despite their constant rejections of "what I found") was imagining the "fame and recognition" I might receive BY ALL, once my work was accepted by the leadership and made available --- like in Way Magazine articles with MY NAME on them, etc. VANITY INDEED! (But THAT was never gonna happen!) Yes...I was tethered all right. But thank God I wised up after I finally realized they didn't give a damn about my opinion or independent research!

And (for what it's worth) here's my take on Paul: Since he had been a "Pharisee of the Pharisees", I suppose he persisted in going to Jerusalem (despite "knowing better") because he was confident "he could reach them as no one else could", even as I was convinced that (if I stuck around long enough) then eventually SOMEBODY would get it. But they never did! And Paul nearly lost his life in the process!

Not to belabor the thought...but I remember the prophet Agabus indicating that "he would be caught", etc --- to which Paul replied, "What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to DIE at Jerusalem..." (But Agabus never said anything about him dying.) Thank God he remained around to give us more wonderful revelation! :)

On 10/6/2017 at 8:38 PM, spectrum49 said:

And (for what it's worth) here's my take on Paul: Since he had been a "Pharisee of the Pharisees", I suppose he persisted in going to Jerusalem (despite "knowing better") because he was confident "he could reach them as no one else could" ...

You could have a point there, Spec.