GreaseSpot Cafe

RumRunner

doojable

RumRunner passed away Monday morning approx 7:30 AM.

I won't post his real name... he wouldn't want that. Those of you who knew him... knew him.

For all his gruffness here on this site, he was more tender and thoughtful than anyone could ever imagine.

I can't write much more now. I've been grieving and will continue to do so.

He is finally looking at the earth from the stars he loved to gaze at.

PS... Paw please send Groucho a new password for GSC. He wanted to post this memorial himself, but computer failure and system issues have caused great confusion.

I'm so sorry ! ! to hear of this. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

You know I understand what's going on in your families right not; do contact me if there is anything I might do or even if it's 3 am and you need to talk, really, anything.

Prayers will continue!

Oh dooj...

He was such a caring person....I loved our 4 hour into the wee hours conversations and lately was waiting for his call. I am crying like a baby and I don't know what to say. I am so sad and so very sorry for you all.

If people only knew what a good soul he really was. I will miss him.

Edited by geisha779

I am so so sorry! Accept my condolences too.

He was, indeed a caring, loving man who was always checking around for sources of danger that could hurt his "fold". Whether you knew it or not, he was always giving of himself. I will really miss him; I did love him more than a brother.

Let me know what I can do for you!

krys

I am so bummed. He was one hell of a gnarly son of a gun. Always outspoken during waydaze in the Corps and post waydaze as well. Yet, always kind hearted as well. The world will be a lesser place without him. My condolences to his Fam and to you Doojable. Look fwd to seeing him after the Great Snatch happens and we Gather Together miles above the ground. Rest In Peace until then Brother...

I won't be here long. I know that there are a lot of folks here that knew RumRunner in a far different way than he presented himself on the threads.

He and I SAW each other... when others only saw various attributes of our beings, we saw each other through and through.

Groucho knew him since he was 4 years old. I would like to see Groucho be able to post his feelings since I am completely inadequate to do so.

I look around me and everything makes me cry....

Condolensces to his family and friends...very sad to hear of this, he was a wonderful, sturdy, warm, straight-forward fella - a real spitfire.

I found out about this on Facebook,(just recently reconnecting with him there after 20+ yrs.) and came here to GS to post it, becuz he has such a warm spot in my husband's and my hearts...I thought others here surely knew him...never put 2 and 2 together that he and RumRunner are the same...

We have always kept a beautiful cut glass jar in a special place in our house...a gift from him...it will continue to remind us of how much we enjoyed him. Missin' those cowboy boots...

Here's to the Hope.

In memory of Rummy

Although we were not "best" friends -- He was the best friend I ever knew. And he was my dear dear friend.

When my husband left me, that night I was so upset I could not sleep. Rummy stayed on the phone ALL night and let me sleep. He wanted to be there for me if I woke up afraid.

When my dog died he offered to do the same thing. We talked many, many, many hours. We listened to fun music and shared our hearts and we cried in tenderness when he KNEW he met the love of his life in Dooj.

Oh my God Rummy, I am a mess. You were one of the greatest people I have ever known… I can hardly breath. I loved you my brother ---the world should go off its axis and all the stars should fall out of the sky for truly a treasure was lost in your death, I will miss you forever.

He stood in ministry. He was a renegade.

He was the love of Christ in boots - but would always deny it, he always made time for me, he listened intently, we shared ministry war stories and deep conversations on life.

·

Rummy was brillant. He was so loving.

When he left California he had frequented a "Ralph's" grocery store so much that he tried to set up a BBQ and drinks for all of the employees as a thank-you. He always shot it to me (and everyone) straight.

Rummy, I will see you at the gathering. Oh Good Rummy… Good Night….

Edited by Dot Matrix

RIP Rumman. You were an amazing father and an awesome friend to so many. You will be very missed.

Dooj, my heart goes out to you. I have some idea of what you're going through. My house # remains the same in case you'd ever like to use it. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm just in shock. Say it isn't so. Gawd, I'm just having a hard time thinking this is real.

I'm so sorry for everyone who was close to him. Though I only knew him from online banter and an occasional phone call, I felt like we were certainly friends and shared a certain comradarie.

My heartfelt condolances to all and R.I.P. Rummy...

I just wanted to say a few things about RR. He probably saved more lives and helped more people than I will even meet in my lifetime. He traveled the globe and made a difference with his life.

A little while back, he was very sick...and we thought he might be gone within a matter of days. He called me to say goodbye. Instead of concern for himself....he was worried about Dooj and her grief....he had concern for the problem I was having with my kid. He was determined to help me with a serious issue while he was so ill. Not one thought for himself at that time. He wanted so much to fix things for people....to make it better....to make it right. I will never forget that about him.

He cared deeply for people and ministered to them. I used to tell him that and he would laugh at me. But, it is true. He even dusted off his bible one day and read to me from it. I was moved. He was far more spiritual than he would let on....but, he didn't have to....his life revealed his heart.

We used to talk for hours about all kind of things...inevitably we ended up talking about God. He would tell me to go to my backyard and look up...to take it all in...and I often did just that. Funny, it was always just what I needed...that quiet time looking up.

He was an amazing father...adored his kids....he adored dooj and her daughters...and he was a generous man. He sent me a gift once....and it is one that makes me cry right now. It was a book about grief and loss.

I was going to visit him in the fall. We were going to sit at the table and talk.

Someday....I will sit at a table with him....I am just so sad I missed it here.

He loved the speech from Henry V...he played it for me over the phone. He read me the greatest quotes and told me some great things to read. He was smart....scary smart.....but always willing to answer a simple question.

He loved Groucho...so much...that was his friend. You don't see friendship like that too often or the kind of abiding love he had for doojable and her daughters....Rumrunner was an incredible human being.

I just wanted to say that about my friend.

Dooj...

I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about Rummy. All I can say is damn it hurts...the loss of one so caring and intelligent.

My heart goes out to you and all our prayers continue.

Geisha... thank you so much.

That book - "A Severe Mercy" has been on my mind a lot lately. The funny thing is that I recommended it and he sent it without any question.

That's how we were together.