GreaseSpot Cafe

RumRunner

doojable

I am so sorry for your loss Dooj.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him but even here at GSC his presence was felt.

But those of you that actually knew him sound like you are suffering a great loss with his passing and I feel for you all.

Total shock!

Oh Rum, my old friend!

I am so sorry for your loss.

...and Evan, he spoke very highly of you.

What can I say, Rumrunner was my best friend for over 50 years...we grew up next door to each other...he was more than a brother to me.

He was the most intelligent person I have ever known and

the things he did in his life are mind boggling...

his heart of caring was profound and his courage was an

inspiration to me. Our friendship was deep and unbreakable

...in 50 years we never had a falling out or a serious

argument...my heart grieves more than I can express.

I feel a void that I have never felt before...

He gave the truest gift he had to give...and now his work

is done...God speed my dearest friend.

My heart goes out to you, Groucho - I cannot imagine how you must feel. I'm so sorry.

Thank you bowtie...

There is a time for every purpose under heaven...today

many of us grieve...as we should...but in a larger sense,

my life has been enriched by knowing him as I did...and

in the days and years to come, I will draw upon the

memories and be thankful that I was fortunate enough to

have had the time that I did with him.

Rumrunner did not want people to mourn his passing...His

desire was for those who loved him to move on...and to

celebrate the joys of their own lives...and to live

honestly and to live well.

To my dear friend who fell asleep Monday June 28th 2010: Words catch in my throat and become dysfunctional letters lacking the ability to capture the life of this man so that I can explain the great depth of loss….

Edited by Dot Matrix

Join you indeed I will...

Lift em high and drain em dry...

He'd love this... To Rummie your life touched us...

He and I did not share similar taste in music. He would send me stuff and I would listen... Then I would send him something I liked and he'd listen... And we would both be polite but like Blaaaaa. He was a rocker from the 70's and apparently I have begun to enjoy elevator music.... He'd laugh! Anyway, he sent me a "Tangerine Dream" heloved -- and I cannot find it... Do you recall? I felt like I needed to put on a Tie-dyed T-shirt to listen to it... Then, I would send him some soft song with great lyrics - as I am a lyric nut... And he'd say well.... not my cup of tea.... The funniest thing he ever sent was that thing on "Priest off" I laughed for DAYS and sent it to Seymore Levin - Whom Rummie loved -- and Seymore rocked out on it! It was a riot! (This is hard isn't it? Groucho, he adored you)

Edited by Dot Matrix

He'd love this... To Rummie your life touched us...

He and I did not share similar taste in music. He would send me stuff and I would listen... Then I would send him something I liked and he'd listen... And we would both be polite but like Blaaaaa. He was a rocker from the 70's and apparently I have begun to enjoy elevator music.... He'd laugh! Anyway, he sent me a "Tangerine Dream" heloved -- and I cannot find it... Do you recall? I felt like I needed to put on a Tie-dyed T-shirt to listen to it... Then, I would send him some soft song with great lyrics - as I am a lyric nut... And he'd say well.... not my cup of tea.... The funniest thing he ever sent was that thing on "Priest off" I laughed for DAYS and sent it to Seymore Levin - Whom Rummie loved -- and Seymore rocked out on it! It was a riot! (This is hard isn't it? Groucho, he adored you)

I'm afraid my musical taste was very similar to Rummies...

and in case anyone is wondering where he got his name

from...listen to this song

I won't be here long. I know that there are a lot of folks here that knew RumRunner in a far different way than he presented himself on the threads.

He and I SAW each other... when others only saw various attributes of our beings, we saw each other through and through.

Groucho knew him since he was 4 years old. I would like to see Groucho be able to post his feelings since I am completely inadequate to do so.

I look around me and everything makes me cry....

An open letter to my dear friend doojie...

Thank you for taking care of my dear friend. I know he

loved you so much. You are a saint for tending to him

in his time of severe illness, when his pain was so great

and you stood by his side and poured your soul out to him

and did everything you possibly could for him...

...he appreciated you perhaps more than you will ever

know...and nobody reading this but you will understand

your personal sacrifice and your labor of love in his

final days...I cannot tell you how thankful I am that

you were there for him...and I will always be your friend

...thank you

An open letter to my dear friend doojie...

Thank you for taking care of my dear friend. I know he

loved you so much. You are a saint for tending to him

in his time of severe illness, when his pain was so great

and you stood by his side and poured your soul out to him

and did everything you possibly could for him...

...he appreciated you perhaps more than you will ever

know...and nobody reading this but you will understand

your personal sacrifice and your labor of love in his

final days...I cannot tell you how thankful I am that

you were there for him...and I will always be your friend

...thank you

Thank you, Groucho my dear friend.

I was fine until I read this... well almost fine.

I'm okay until someone asks me how I'm doing.

so...

"Does god look down on the boys in the barroom?"

Groucho,

I wrote on your FB page, but wanted to tell you here how sorry I am for your loss....RR must have patched you into one of our conversations once because I remember listening to you two banter.....besides telling some really hilarious and ribald stories(peanut butter)....you two spoke in this comfortable code that only comes from years of true friendship.

It was during a bad spell and he was pretty ill. He mentioned certain things he had asked of you....but in code....and for some reason your response impacted me because I remember it. You simply said you knew your responsibility. That was all he needed to hear. He knew he could depend on you. I remember thinking yours went beyond friendship and into brotherhood.

As you know....he didn't call many friend...it was a word that meant something to him....you were his best friend and I know how much he loved you. I am glad I got a peek into that kind of love. Thanks.

I remembered him all day today...all the things we talked about. I wore black anyway...even if he didn't want people to mourn. I felt like wearing black....being sad and missing RR.

Funny, he wrote me not long ago about a book...I gave him lip for not calling lately.

I guess I didn't want to believe he would go so soon.

I am so sorry for you and Dooj, for his kids and all who loved him.

The world seemed a bit less today...the sun a bit more dim...it just did.

Edited by geisha779

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One time RumRunner introduced me to this artist. He played me several pieces and he has been one of my favorites since.

Dooj, I had to come out of Greasespot retirement to post one more time. I'm very sorry for your loss. You and Groucho especially, but everyone who knew and loved Rumrunner. And I'm very thankful for one enjoyable Saturday afternoon with Beer from South America and lovely conversation.

I'm looking forward to seeing you and the girls again soon. Hugs from all of us.

Quite some time ago, he played this for me.....and told me whenever he heard it he thought of you.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back about 4 (or so) years ago, I got a PM here on the GSC site from RumRunner.

He had some questions about banjos, and wondered if I could answer his questions.

I was glad to help and thought I answered everything satisfactorily, but he persisted.

He kept asking about stuff I thought I'd already fully explained (but I guess I hadn't to his satisfaction).

After trying to answer his questions (to his degree of "answering"), I finally wrote back (in exasperation):

"HEY!! This isn't Rocket Science!!!"

Little did I know then, to whom I was speaking. icon_redface.gif

Gonna miss you RumRunner. Happy travels out there amongst the stars.

Dooj and Groucho - - - my deepest sympathies and condolences.

I felt a "punch in my gut" today when I read this even though I never did meet him in person.

I heard this tune tonight and thought it might be sort of a tribute to him, from me.

(embedding disabled) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJyXy4Eds3Y&feature=related

Yes Krys... he was fond of "tuning" songs to me.. or him... or me and him.

Dmiller - here is one of his favorites:

Edited by doojable