GreaseSpot Cafe

What have you done.. to loosen da ways grip on your mind?

Ham

well..

Got involved in the community..

then I purged all materials published by day way from my library..

once I consumed about 300 or so morning glory seeds. Not quite sure where that got me..

but one thing I haven't tried.. pick up a ouija board. Just can't bring myself to do it..

:biglaugh:

OK.. so what was the most bizarre thing YOU'VE done since leaving da way?

I attended a unitarian universalist church a couple of times. Without once having the thought that they were possessed..

• Upvote 1

Well, nothing bizarre for me. Just joined GSC and started posting along with thinking long and hard about why I do what I do. That is a process in itself that usually has resulted in some changed ways for the better and less rotten thinking.

Got on with my life rather than continuing to spend it on advancing the careers, coffers, and grandiose schemes of these unthankful morons that are in charge of TWI.

Unthankful is right. They did not appreciate wonderful people. Just used them then trashed them.

I went gambling... Penny slots.

I asked God to show me the spiritual side of life that wasn't devil spirits... Got some really interesting answers from that prayer. Still getting some real interesting answers from that prayer!!

I burn sage in my house sometimes when the need. I pray The Lord's Prayer on occasion.

I attend a Catholic church once in a while. I call the priest "Father" - that took a while. Felt like I was sinning.

Our daughter was baptized there - it was a lovely ceremony.

I reassessed every belief I had. I realized I needed to figure out what I believed for myself. My belief system changed a lot, including a recognition of both a male and female aspect of God. I believe God is both and at the same time neither. This was a big change for me.

This year I planted a Mary garden to honor the female aspect of God, and I bought a cross necklace to help me contemplate the male aspect.

After we left TWI, we affiliated with CES, then left it for good early 2005. I went back to school full time and started reading a lot of different opinions.

A non-Christian once summed it up in one sentence:

"We don't care what you believe, just come to church."

:offtopic: which can be refreshing after years of swallowing and regurgitating someone else's opinions about what constitutes "truth" and getting raked over the coals if you question anything - or don't you remember any of that?

Made myself STOP speaking in tongues when I was anxious.

Got forbidden books from the library on subjects like feminism, myths, divine feminine.

Read alot of fantasy novels.

Bought lots of music to listen to.

Got a big dog and a bunch of cats and a big messy garden.

Bought the kids Harry Potter books.

Took a Wicca 101 seminar at the New Age store.

Made friends.

Filled my garden with quartz and jasper from rock hunting trips.

Spent weekends rock hunting!

Didn't fuss when the hubby filled the garage with wood working equipment and parked the car in the driveway.

Let hubby stack stuff on top of the fridge.

Got real Christmas decorations like Santas and angels.

Own cheesy dolphin decorations cuz I like them.

Have a Kokopelli pillow.

One of the first things I did was call December 25th what it really is called,CHRISTMAS! Not ho ho day,not happy household holiday,just good ole'CHRISTMAS.

Give money to people that have nothing to do with da way.

Shi!Canne$ all the class syllybusses.

Stopped saying "the word" when referring to the bible.

Instead of rushing home from work to get the house ready for fellowship I now rush home to sit down,relax and drink a few cold ones.

Be especially good to all,not just wayfers.

At first I sat around and waited to see if duh Debil would rack and ruin my life like twi said would happen to all who left der Veg.

Something funny happened. My life actually got better. Who wooda thunk it.

Then I started to get some of the life de veg had sucked outta me back.

Now I actually enjoy my life.

I bought a big a** sailbaot, got back into my love which is music, then recorded a CD and have fun playing at boat clubs and sailing around on my boat, and (burp) drink the occasional beverage.

It doesn't get better than this.

I will never belong to any religion (my choice) but I do read der bible for fun.

Edited by polar bear

:offtopic: which can be refreshing after years of swallowing and regurgitating someone else's opinions about what constitutes "truth" and getting raked over the coals if you question anything - or don't you remember any of that?

oh yeah---the "TRUTH" like it's never been taught since the first century church....DAMN!!!!

One of the first things I did was call December 25th what it really is called,CHRISTMAS! Not ho ho day,not happy household holiday,just good ole'CHRISTMAS.

I couldn't bring myself to even say anything with "Ho" in it when it came to Christmas. Freaking idiots in the way international run around saying "Happy Ho Ho." Sounds like two smiling hookers to me. I do have some ghetto tendencies though so maybe that's why?

I read books relating to recovery, or relating to character, and I try to constantly be reading something. It keeps my mind from imploding on itself. I can be pretty introspective and start living in my own little world pretty easily. So I try to keep fresh material constantly coming in. Doesn't have to be new material necessarily. I like to ponder other peoples' opinions and ideas unles their like, Osama Bin Laden or something.

Speaking of not imploding, I stay involved with other people in some fashion. I happen to attend a church but even if I didn't I would still involve myself in something outside myself where I think I can make a difference. That is very difficult and even painful sometimes. But it's also very important. I have to do it or like I said, I get real introspective and move into "erkjohn world". Honestly, I become a real wierdo.

Edited by erkjohn

I couldn't bring myself to even say anything with "Ho" in it when it came to Christmas. Freaking idiots in the way international run around saying "Happy Ho Ho." Sounds like two smiling hookers to me. I do have some ghetto tendencies though so maybe that's why?

I have a confession to make...I said "Christmas" even when I was in The Corps! :o I never said "Ho Ho Relo" unless I was making fun of other people. :who_me:

I was waiting for someone to figure out that the word "holiday" comes from combining the words "holy" and "day". Thus, to say "holiday" is actually saying "holy day" and the Bible says we are not to consider one day holier than another.

Of course, I didn't have the guts to ever bring this up to leadership.

Edited by erkjohn

I have a confession to make...I said "Christmas" even when I was in The Corps! ohmy.gif I never said "Ho Ho Relo" unless I was making fun of other people. who_me.gif

I was waiting for someone to figure out that the word "holiday" comes from combining the words "holy" and "day". Thus, to say "holiday" is actually saying "holy day" and the Bible says we are not to consider one day holier than another.

Of course, I didn't have the guts to ever bring this up to leadership.

Good thing you didn't, or they wouldn't have just renamed the holidays, they would have taken them away altogether!! realmad.gif

Freaking idiots in the way international run around saying "Happy Ho Ho."

Well they are a bunch of 'ho's. Selling themselves out for position, power, their deluded dream of the big 'household' in the sky at the return. At the return, the egotists will be last in line.

Hay Ham! What is a Unitarian Universalist church like? I'd try one, but there aren't any in this backward town I live in.

A non-Christian once summed it up in one sentence:

"We don't care what you believe, just come to church."

(snip)

Actually, I remember it well- and giving as good as I got!

Quite a few posters periodically characterize my posts as just rehashing things like that

and vpw's criminal actions. It's a little odd you'd even SUGGEST that I'd forgotten that.

I also remember being brought up Roman Catholic-where I was taught to swallow and regurgitate

someone else's opinions about what constitutes "truth" - and from which I bailed out just before

I became a teenager, since they lacked the answers I really needed and lacked the means to get them.

I also remember what I believed after that.

To think the ONLY options are

"conform or be cast out"

or

"everything is of equal value and there is no objective truth"

is rather silly, short-sighted, and a different variation of the "black-and-white" thinking

symptomatic of both twi and people who never got twi out of their system.

In other news,

why go off-topic on this at all?

Someone asked who the Unitarian Universalists are. I replied in few words and without a nasty shot.

You took my reply, decided I'd taken a shot at the group, then took a shot at me.

Really, there was no need for either.

Next time, may I recommend a brisk walk around the block and considering maybe to just let

a post slide, at least a day or 2, then seeing if it still had whatever nasty shot you

perceived in it?

Well, this was years ago, now, but I had a little barbecue, and held a little ceremony; I burned my Corps diary and my Corps sweats on the barby, and was never going back. I boxed up all of my Way books, and gave them to someone who still gave a mouse's butt about them. I went back to college, made Townie friends, and got on with my life.

I always felt that I'd gotten into the ministry for the right reasons, and I also feel that I got out of it for the right reasons: in both cases, I was honestly trying to do the right thing. I don't feel that I moved away from God when I left TWI; I feel very deeply that TWI moved away from God. God has very generously protected me, with both His grace and His mercy, during these past 24 years. He has established to me, in no uncertain terms, that leaving The Way International was His will for my life.

• Upvote 1