GreaseSpot Cafe

Recurring Nightmares About TWI

JavaJane

I said bunk. The bunks have been mostly done away with and two to a room with two separate twin beds was the norm. Only time I ever did the bunk thing was in-residence.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have dreams like others here had when I left TWI, but over the years, they've left. After reading all of Karl Jung and much of Freud's writings for fun after I left TWI, I even kept a journal of my dreams. But the dreams are very common anxiety dreams. Many of us left everything we knew and people we loved - it takes a while to come to grips with and can definitely be anxious times for us and our dreams reflect that in their own strange way.

I once read that people who don't remember their dreams are usually those folks who hit the ground running as soon as the alarm goes off or they wake up. Those of us who hit the snooze a few times :redface2: or lay in bed for a bit before jumping up to face the day are more likely to remember dreams.

Before and for a couple of years after I left I had some horrific, wild and bizarre dreams about TWI. Now, not so much anymore.

One that kept recurring was me being chased down a dark, narrow alley by TWI folks I knew and being attacked. I would look up and see the Moynihans and my ex laughing as they viciously kicked me while I was down.

I had recurring dreams about trying to find a bathroom or trying to find privacy to go to the bathroom. An interpretation I read about that was that it signified "dumping" thoughts, beliefs and parts of our life.

I, too, kept a dream diary for a while because some of them were so vivid and strange.

a squirrel driving a cushman . . . set of shotguns coming from where the headlights should be . . . (somehow they reload themselves) . . . man in red hat and red shoes running franticly through The Way Woods . . .

Edited by Bolshevik

How about being locked in a closet with a giant sized Way Syllabus and hearing loud laughter?

And my favorite recurring dream:

I'm in a large house filled with wonderful luxuries (can't spell today), a place of high esteem. I happen to waved back to the cute lady across the street...then, wham! Out of nowhere a group of Way Disciples enter my house and take everything I own! I am left with nothing.

Plenty of recurring nightmares while I was in. Usually about not being good enough in some way and being thrown out.

I have sweet sleeps now that I'm out.

what about Wierwille's "visions" of snow on gas pumps? must have been day dreaming :smilie_kool_aid::anim-smile::evilshades::evildenk::biglaugh::who_me::sleep1::yawn1: :blink: :asdf:

Even after breaking the bounds of the way's doctrine and practice, I still get interrupted by 'way type' dreams. Spent a good portion of my life in the way's thought patterns, so it really doesn't surprise me....much.

Any kind of anxiety can bring on dreams that seem to be nightmares, I believe.

Nightmares seem like they are really happening, I think.

Sometimes I know I'm dreaming when I'm dreaming, which is kind of interesting.

It's not always 'the way' involved either.

My 2 cents.

when you newer people were in the way, did you have married couples sharing rooms -- top and bottm double bunks?

I heard stories, and I was horrified.

I didn't hear any stories until I got here, and there were some very interesting stories....

For those who were never blessed to have been in the corps program, if you knew the people involved in these sto-ries and their personalities, you could "see it yet", so living & real ...

Our last year in res was the 11th's 1st year, and because there were so maany of them, maany of us married couples had to share rooms with an 11th corps couple. We had bunk beds in these rooms in those days, retrieved from the river-bed dry pool in Allen gym

(snip)

Anyways, these bunk beds had frames of wrought iron, weighed 100 lbs apiece, with old wire springs for mattress support. Me & wifey had claimed bottom bunk, leaving the top to the newbie 11th couple. When the 11th corps couple arrived for the 1st day in res, they had the husband's parents come with them.

PM #1: The expression on the parents' faces when they realized we were SHARING the same bedroom.

PM #2: Come 'loving' time for the upper bunk couple, their every move made those iron springs spring into a loud squeaking, as of a rushing, mighty wind. I had to put a pillow over wifies face to muffle her laughter.

PM #3: One late night, (snip)

(snip)

For the curious, the original post continues that third story, but you'll have to click on the link to read it...

I have a limit to what I'll repost...

The "backwards arrow" is the link I mean...

Married couples sharing rooms is a huge sign that TWI had too many people than they could handle. That's greed on TWI's part. They should have set a limit of people coming based on the housing they had available.

Wasn't there a time when some in-residence Corps had to sleep in barns?

I had a new one last night... I was in the auditorium (and you were there, and you, and you....) and I had decided to leave twi before I got there. I had also informed my leadershi this was the last event I would attend. I was there with my iPhone playing games during the service because I was so bored, but I was trying not to let the light from the screen be seen by anyone so I wouldn't get in trouble. After the service, I went out into the lobby where a bunch of my old Way D team were. I was trying to get past them without having to stop for conversation because if they asked me where I was going after the service I would have to tell them the truth - that I was leaving twi, and I didn't want to have that conversation. One of my Way D sisters caught up with me and asked the dreaded question. I informed her I was leaving twi - that it didn't mean I didn't love her, and it didn't mean that I thought she was a bad person. Another person from my past came up and asked, and I explained it to him as well. And another and another. Soon I was surrounded by the believers going all the way back to my first fellowship, and I could tell by the way they looked at me that I was a disappointment. That they thought I was possessed. Then they turned their backs on me and walked away, looking over their shoulders occassionally at me as they whispered to themselves. Some of them were crying.

I just walked out, packed up my stuff, and left them behind, knowing they thought I was a terrible person - even worse than a terrible person - they thought I had given myself to the devil and turned my back on God, that I had become evil.

Edited to add what I just remembered - there were coyotes outside the auditorium, black coyotes that running in circles around a weak mangy puppy that was trying to get into the auditorium for shelter. But no one saw the puppy but me, and I knew there was no way I could help it because I needed to get out of where it was trying to get in.

Edited by JavaJane

JJ: I had a similar incident when I ran in to a person from my fellowship after leaving TWI. She and I lived in the same apartment complex, so we attended the same fellowship. When I moved to another area of my metro area, I was supposed to change fellowships. I just never went. I sent an email to my FC and BC telling them I would never attend another ministry function and do not call me or come to see me.

I still worked in the area near my old apartment when I ran in to the other person who went to fellowship with me. She came up to say hi and asked how my new fellowship was. I told her I no longer attended fellowship. This lady was "one of the weird ones". She was considered odd by most wayfers, but she was committed and they liked that part. When she asked why, I said it wasn't profitable for me to get in to it all. She held her hand up to my face and walked away. This was in the middle of Target. Then she literally ran to the checkout stand. I was looking at items nearby and caught her continually looking at me. I rolled by eyes and walked out of her view. I wanted to give her the finger, but I wanted to be the bigger person.

Your dream about black coyotes and a mangey puppy is a vidid dream. It gave me chills.

I heard a Christian psychologist on the radio today quoting a verse from Psalms where God says He'll teach you things during the night. This guy said he often asks his clients about their dreams because there's a lot more to them than just nonsense. He says it can be God teaching you things about life. Does anyone know what verse this guy is talking about and if so, if that is the true meaning?

Married couples sharing rooms is a huge sign that TWI had too many people than they could handle.

No, it was a huge sign that it had no respect or reverence for the husband/wife relationship, and it taught that to the married people. I mean, is it really normal to house married people long-term in bunk rooms in the US? Is it really normal to force married people to abstain, sneak, or pretty much resort to openly copulating?

We have only shared a room with another couple (ex-corp) once in our entire marriage, and it was mostly to help them out. I said never again.

I heard a Christian psychologist on the radio today quoting a verse from Psalms where God says He'll teach you things during the night. This guy said he often asks his clients about their dreams because there's a lot more to them than just nonsense. He says it can be God teaching you things about life. Does anyone know what verse this guy is talking about and if so, if that is the true meaning?

I agree, God designed us to dream, and I think He does communicate with us through dreams. If I stop and think about the symbolism in my dreams, oftentimes I can understand things in my life better - whether this is from God, or if it is from God in the way I was fearfully and wonderfully made doesn't matter so much to me, I am just thankful for the insight.

No, it was a huge sign that it had no respect or reverence for the husband/wife relationship, and it taught that to the married people. I mean, is it really normal to house married people long-term in bunk rooms in the US? Is it really normal to force married people to abstain, sneak, or pretty much resort to openly copulating?

We have only shared a room with another couple (ex-corp) once in our entire marriage, and it was mostly to help them out. I said never again.

I always thought this was ridiculous. I also remember that when I asked about it, I was told it was a "modern" thing for married couples to sleep alone. I was given the example that "Uncle Horndog" Howard slept in a one room house with his aunt and uncle, who would have sex there in the same room as the kids. This (I was told) was actually more normal and healthy than having people separate.

Yuck.

I was given the example that "Uncle Horndog" Howard slept in a one room house with his aunt and uncle, who would have sex there in the same room as the kids.

Well, definitely explains why he treats the woman the way he does..

All along I thought it was ol' Vic that taught him his low life womanizing ways..

I also remember that when I asked about it, I was told it was a "modern" thing for married couples to sleep alone. I was given the example that "Uncle Horndog" Howard slept in a one room house with his aunt and uncle, who would have sex there in the same room as the kids. This (I was told) was actually more normal and healthy than having people separate.

Now I can't decide if they were acting out or inbred perverts.

Edited by Tzaia