GreaseSpot Cafe

New Forum Features

GT

I got bored and did an upgrade. So now we have a few new toys to play with.

For those who own an iPhone/iPad, there is now an application for accessing the forums sized just for the small screen. You can grab it at IP Board Communities

For those who can't stand Steve Jobs and use a competitor's smartphone, all you need to do is point your phone's browser at http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/. The forums will default to a mobile version that looks and functions rather well.

And of course there are social networking buttons all over the place now -- facebook, twitter, or whichever you prefer.

The Blog section was totally redone. Looks much better. Every post now has a "Blog this" button.

There's more, but haven't played with it yet.

Do drive safe . . . I could see this site splintering without its unifying leader . . . ^_^

OMG - then we would have our own brand of offshoots. GreaseSpot, GreaseStain, De-GreasedSpot and on it would spiral!! :anim-smile: :anim-smile: :anim-smile:

We just turned off the negative reputation points. Although they were fun, especially in the Politics forum, they proved useless (and actually made some upset). Disagreement with a post now will have to be done via a non-vote.

The forums will highlight anything that gets 10 positive points. So if you think something someone wrote is good, +1 it so others will find it more easily.

• Upvote 4

Okay, now what happened? The whole "look" of the cafe has changed. Has it had a sudden re-paint since I called by this morning? Am I in the same Cafe? Have I fallen through the looking glass? :confused:

Ah, Now I see what JavaJane was talking about.

I made a tweak in the CSS. Let me know if IE7 works correctly again (although IE8 should be used, IE7 is getting old like IE6 and was non-standards compliant from day 1).

Don't get me started about IE6 :wacko:

Apparently the tweak I put in caused all the poster information on the left of each post to be hidden in IE.

May take me a few to track down exactly how to get IE to behave. In the mean time, there are 4 other free browsers out there that work perfectly (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera)

Also, switching back to the old look should correct the issue also. You can do so at anytime using the drop-down list on the lower left of any page in the forums. Select "IP.Board" for the old one, "Light" for the new one.

Apparently the tweak I put in caused all the poster information on the left of each post to be hidden in IE.

May take me a few to track down exactly how to get IE to behave. In the mean time, there are 4 other free browsers out there that work perfectly (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera)

Also, switching back to the old look should correct the issue also. You can do so at anytime using the drop-down list on the lower left of any page in the forums. Select "IP.Board" for the old one, "Light" for the new one.

OK. That got rid of the "toolbar in the middle" bug again, but you're right: I can't see posters' names or avatars. (Though it's fun to guess who they are by gender, number of posts, etc!)

George

The display issue affecting being able to see the author's information of a post only affected IE7 (and probably IE6 but I didn't even bother with that antique). Something was triggering a bug in that browser. After spending a few hours trying to track it down I gave up. It's not worth it. IE7 is outdated anyway and if you're using IE6 there are a whole host of other sites that aren't going to work for you also.

So as a work-around, if the forums see that you're using IE7 it will default you to the old look and display properly.

If you want to use the new look, you need to update your browser to IE8 or use any of the, IMHO, better browsers out there. :anim-smile:

For anyone looking to upgrade IE: Download IE8

FYI: If you are still running Windows XP like I am (gasp!), you won't be able to download IE 8. You are better off downloading Mozilla Firefox.

You ARE better off downloading Firefoz, but I've run IE8 on XP in more than one place...

In those cases, the PCs were running XP Pro. I don't know about XP Home.

I see under Paw's and the moderators they are listed under the group "adminisrators". Is this a misspell? Shouldn't it be "administrators" or did you do spell it differently for some reason?

I see its spelled "administrators" now. Maybe the t got stuck in a packet somewhere in cyber space for a while..

:biglaugh:

So where did the little green plus "reputation" button go in my own posts? Does this mean someone can't give me a little green thingie anymore if they like my post?

I can see it in other people's posts, but not mine :(

Edited by Sunesis
  • Upvote 2

Yes, we did turn off being able to up-vote a user's own posts. Doesn't make sense to have that and some people were getting a bit zealous doing it. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned somewhere else, we also deleted all the negative reputation votes and everyone's reputation total as displayed on their profile page now represents only the plus votes.

And since we disabled being able to up-vote your own post, all past self-up-votes have just been deleted.