GreaseSpot Cafe

Incentives for working on staff

OldSkool

I imagine this dates back to Victor Paul Wierwille's "reasoning" for not paying the staff of the way international reasonable pay? Either way.

During placements a few years ago the cabinet were blamed for there being VERY little new applicants. I think there were a grand total of four. :biglaugh:

Anyhow, ideas were solicited from the cabinet and someone suggested that the way international develop a better incentives plan. Increase pay, offer more competitive benefits, etc. The idea was shot down immediately! Rosalie then explained that working on staff is reserved for those who are spiritually minded, who want to receive in-depth training in the practical application of God's Word by dedicating themselves in service. The point was made and reiterated that if people wanted to make money they should make it in "the world" and not at the way international because working on staff was always meant for spiritually minded people who wanted to grow in God's Word - My best paraphrase but we all get the gist.

The poor cabinet member who made that suggestion was privately counseled by Rosalie for many days to follow. She simply would not let it die. The person was basically accused of being worldly and was raked over the coals repeatedly, both in person and via many phone calls.

This topic could morph a few different directions.

1 - hows that for speaking up in the kinder, gentler way international?

2 - I would love to hear all the "advanced spiritual training" you ex-staffers received from you "advanced" training.

3 - What about those incentives? Really they are a facade that amount to a selling point used by the personnel department when they are propositioning potential hires.

4 - Just a reminder that the incentives dry up quickly should any major medical situation arise and a person's is then given over to Medicaid and such. They become the taxpayer's responsibility.

5 - How about that $54 million in horded assets gathered from tithes and abundant sharing?

6 - Any damn direction it happens to go :biglaugh:

2 - I would love to hear all the "advanced spiritual training" you ex-staffers received from you "advanced" training.

I wasn't on staff. But I understand they know how to work a floss chart like there's no tomorrow..

:biglaugh:

And they make fun of the Catholic monks and nuns who take a vow of poverty in order to help their spiritual journey. Basically it's the same thing - except the nuns and monks know that the Church will take care of them.

• Upvote 1

I was on Staff for 5 years. I went with a pure heart, and I wanted to serve. I considered it a privilege. I left feeling used, and questioning everything I ever did in TWI. The amount of butt chewing will tear any good person down. The amount of fake smiles is astounding. I learned to question myself and never believe God could work in me because there was almost alway some kind of reproof around the corner.

Those who work for year upon year in the bookstore, housekeeping, or food services are never afforded an opportunity to use these skills outside TWI for any decent wage.

The only good thing I got out of working there was the required study of English in while working in Word Processing. It had been a lot of years since I studied English, and I was very rusty in that subject. Studying English was a requirement. It helped me in my current job field. I don't give thanks for that to the BOD of TWI. I give it to one person in Word Processing who is a lifer on Staff who considered it very important to Word Processing work.

I remember once incident of a Corps girl telling me I was working too hard while doing a step aerobics workout. She told me this because I wasn't checking my pulse. She tried to take over and coach me without being invited or solicited for advice. When she finished her spew, we were walking down the hall and she said "You didn't even thank me." I said "I never asked for your advice, nor did I need it." She was put off. I listened to her spew because she was Corps and I was a koolaid drinking sheeple.

I remember once incident of a Corps girl telling me I was working too hard while doing a step aerobics workout. She told me this because I wasn't checking my pulse. She tried to take over and coach me without being invited or solicited for advice. When she finished her spew, we were walking down the hall and she said "You didn't even thank me." I said "I never asked for your advice, nor did I need it." She was put off. I listened to her spew because she was Corps and I was a koolaid drinking sheeple.

Sounds like one of the way corps who thought they were going to be in charge of something when they graduated only to find themselves in some menial staff job. There are certain ones who are always looking for avenues to "minister" to the staff. Probably well meaning enough, but to thrust yourself on another and then get offended when they do not thank you is typical way brained behavior. Probably shocked to find you didn't want (or need) their help.

• Upvote 1

I was on Staff for 5 years. I went with a pure heart, and I wanted to serve. I considered it a privilege. I left feeling used, and questioning everything I ever did in TWI. The amount of butt chewing will tear any good person down. The amount of fake smiles is astounding. I learned to question myself and never believe God could work in me because there was almost alway some kind of reproof around the corner.

Fake smiles....repetitive responses.

The reproof-free answer to the question, "How are you doing?" Great. That way no one could question your attitude. It was the repetitve response of choice that kept others from prying or confronting.

<_<

Guest Balanced

I went on Staff with a pure heart to serve also. But found that I had to obey rules, rules, and rules. Where was the obedience to God? Where was what I thought about something?

For example: Fold the tissue down after each use. This drove me nuts. It's tissue for your nose. Who cares if it's folded down. Okay, so in the Teacher's Suite in the PWA it looks nice folded down but in the office on a day to day basis. Give me a break!!!

I left Staff feeling like everything was just taken care of for me and I was just to listen and obey leadership (not God). Could God really work in me? Could I really accomplish something without leadership? How could I survive out in the real world? I had lived out in the world before but this time felt like I couldn't do it. How stupid!

I learned quickly how I could believe God and God would take care of me. I have more trust in God now then I ever had. I also use my own thinking and common sense.

Nottawayfer-FYI-The lifer you are talking about (if it's who I think) is no longer there. The person was booted off Staff and now figuring it out on her own. Sad situation.

Also, I think everything should be told to an applicant upfront before coming on Staff. I learned about things once I got on Staff that didn't make me happy but what was I going to do, leave.

One incentive that wasn't told was once you become a parent you are obligated...no you do not volunteer...you are obligated/told you have to work Children's Fellowship for the STS. I would've been very happy to volunteer but being made to do something was just another thing where my free will choice was..where?, I don't know. I was just to listen and obey leadership.

Balanced

...Nottawayfer-FYI-The lifer you are talking about (if it's who I think) is no longer there. The person was booted off Staff and now figuring it out on her own. Sad situation.

Also, I think everything should be told to an applicant upfront before coming on Staff. I learned about things once I got on Staff that didn't make me happy but what was I going to do, leave....

She isn't there anymore. She was Corps and got married to non-Corps. She had been at HQ every since graduating from the Corps. I think she graduated around 1987 give or take a few years. She had a fellowship for a short time but was brought to the big house until she got married. She was a very bossy person. I remember her asking me if I was going in the Corpse. I said no. She said "What? Nobody should ever say they aren't going in to the Corps!!! What if God calls you?" I told her I didn't hear the call and never planned to. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yes, if I knew everything before going on Staff. The most irritating thing to me was being told I could not go home for Christmas, and I was not due a vacation because I was first year staff. I was treated better out in the world. When I was on Staff, we had two choices of vacation: Christmas or summer. Then they added April the last year or two I was there. You absolutely could not take a vacation any other time. That sucked when you were trying to make plans. Also, you never got to pick your vacation time. You gave your first and second choices to the Dept. Coord, and they decided who was going when.

Too much control! Here ya go Rosalez! :mooner:

During placements a few years ago the cabinet were blamed for there being VERY little new applicants. I think there were a grand total of four. :biglaugh:

These f*ckers are so f*cking clueless. It's not the lack financial compensation keeping people from coming on staff. The word is out. Being on staff SUCKS! Duh! How could you not know that??!!

Gosh, let's flog the cabinet and the field leadership to get more applicants. Ha! What's more, I know for a fact they turned away more than a few of the crazy F*ers who wanted to come on staff in the first place. Dumb mother f*ckers.

Also, it's not cussing if I use an asterisk. F*ckers.

Gosh, let's flog the cabinet and the field leadership to get more applicants.

The kicker is the cabinet have no outlet or means to promote staff and have no authority to hire fire. In other words they aren't the problem. But Rosalie sure laid it on em heavy. May as well blame them for assassinating Kennedy.

Want people to come on Staff? How about this: treat them like responsible adults - let them sleep and eat where they want to!! Let them live off campus if they so desire. Get rid of communal bathrooms in Founder's Hall. Don't REQUIRE attendance at things (STS, noon meal, etc.)... Let people have fellowships with people outside their department (your boss shouldn't be your minister - it's a conflict of interest). Don't have a curfew.

That still wouldn't overcome the drawbacks to living in New Knoxville in the company of a cult, but that's just me!

The kicker is the cabinet have no outlet or means to promote staff and have no authority to hire fire. In other words they aren't the problem. But Rosalie sure laid it on em heavy. May as well blame them for assassinating Kennedy.

Twi has ALWAYS done this......

Rather than truly analyze the problem, the blame-game is initiated to keep the spotlight OFF THE CULT'S ABUSE AND ACTIVITES.

Examples:

1) Wierwille blamed the students of the first corps program....labeled it the "zero corps."

2) Heavy rainstorms in humid Ohio in August........blame the corps' lack of believing.

3) L.E.A.D. program -- hitch-hiking and major accidents were corps' fault of course.

4) Wierwille dies at age 68.......Howard and others said vpw died of a "broken heart" when leadership/corps would not stand with him.

And, someday.....when twi is little more than sell-order-bookstore joint, the directors will spin it as "No one really is hungry for the rightly-divided word anymore."

:rolleyes:

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

Twi has ALWAYS done this......

Rather than truly analyze the problem, the blame-game is initiated to keep the spotlight OFF THE CULT'S ABUSE AND ACTIVITES.

Examples:

1) Wierwille blamed the students of the first corps program....labeled it the "zero corps."

2) Heavy rainstorms in humid Ohio in August........blame the corps' lack of believing.

3) L.E.A.D. program -- hitch-hiking and major accidents were corps' fault of course.

4) Wierwille dies at age 68.......Howard and others said vpw died of a "broken heart" when leadership/corps would stand with him.

And, someday.....when twi is little more than sell-order-bookstore joint, the directors will spin it as "No one really is hungry for the rightly-divided word anymore."

:rolleyes:

Exactly. And when people didn't sign up for the class it was because the devil tricked them out of it or we weren't walking according to revelation to get them (politely coerce them) into signing the registration card and handing over their money. Guilt guilt guilt.

I sure didn't consider (nor did anyone I knew stop to think): maybe this class is not the cure-all that we believe it is. Surely something must be wrong with people who don't want to take it. After all I took it and I'm none the worse for it, my life is great. Right, until years later when I woke up and realized it wasn't, but then the reason I was lacking in "abundance" wasn't the class's fault it was my own fault for not believing the promises of God taught in the class. Circular reasoning once again.

To break out of that thinking isn't that hard, it just takes a little bit of self awareness, of paying attention, of QUESTIONING AUTHORITY. Oh my, questioning the Word is the first step down on the spiritual road away from God, just like Eve in the garden. Her problem was she questioned. Mmm...seems to me VP was a master manipulator of scripture, people, and the blame game.

• Upvote 1

Let's see... what's the incentives (benefits) at TWI that are also at most employers....???

WAGE:

TWI: not based on education or skill level but decided by leadership after the employee completes a form citing his/her needs each month. Dispensed in a x2/month payment. No extra wage for working overtime or holidays.

REAL WORLD: based on education, skill level, and market. Pay dispensed on a weekly, monthly, or bi-monthly basis. Overtime (usually time and a half) for hourly employees. Special pay arrangements for working holidays.

HEALTH INSURANCE:

TWI: Self-pay/reimbursed. AFTER leadership OK's expense for the visit/procedure/etc., then staffers can go to doctor or dentist. They have to say they are "self-pay" and are supposed to ask for a price break. They pay the bill and submit the receipt for reimbursement. (How this isn't a HIPPA violation is beyond me...)

REAL WORLD: Employee signs up for plan and pays a percentage of it and the employer pays the rest. Coverage varies but the employer doesn't have a say in how much/little the insurance is used.

RETIREMENT:

TWI: It's not godly to retire.

REAL WORLD: Various programs available, including paying into social security, 401K, and other programs.

EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT:

TWI: Say what? You're an AC grad. What else do you need to know?

REAL WORLD: Most corporations and even small companies and municipalities offer about $2K/year for approved courses. Educated employees = happy, loyal employees

SICK DAYS/PERSONAL DAYS/EMERGENCY DAYS:

TWI: None. You can take a sick day but you're still on grounds, still accessible, and really not allowed 'down time'.

REAL WORLD: Usually a day/month for sick, emergency, personal days - depends on the company - but you aren't on grounds 24/7.

HOLIDAYS:

TWI: None.

REAL WORLD: Usually Christmas, New Year's Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Dr. MLK Day, Presidents Day, and Thanksgiving.

MILEAGE:

TWI: Nada.

REAL WORLD: Usually at the Federal Rate for mileage reimbursement

LONG TERM DISABILITY:

TWI: None. If you're sick for a while, you're DONE. Canned.

REAL WORLD: You have to pay for coverage but it's a nominal amount each month and can be very handy...

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:

TWI: Hahahahahhahahahaaa... Not even close.

REAL WORLD: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the first federal law designed to protect most U.S. employees from employment discrimination based upon that employee's (or applicant's) race, color, religion, sex, or national origin (Public Law 88-352, July 2, 1964, 78 Stat. 253, 42 U.S.C. Sec. 2000e et. seq.)

LONGEVITY STIPEND:

TWI: Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

REAL WORLD: Usually after 10, 20, etc. years you receive some token of recognition other than people clapping for you in a lunchroom or auditorium.

SAVINGS PLAN

TWI: Sure. You can save your money. In their credit union.

REAL WORLD: Sometimes there will be matching savings plans or other incentive based plans

I'm sure there's more...

But when you talk about benefits and being on TWI Staff it's like asking for sex from a nun, isn't it? It just ain't happenin'.

Want people to come on Staff? How about this: treat them like responsible adults - let them sleep and eat where they want to!! Let them live off campus if they so desire. Get rid of communal bathrooms in Founder's Hall. Don't REQUIRE attendance at things (STS, noon meal, etc.)... Let people have fellowships with people outside their department (your boss shouldn't be your minister - it's a conflict of interest). Don't have a curfew.

That still wouldn't overcome the drawbacks to living in New Knoxville in the company of a cult, but that's just me!

That would be too much like a working at a job and not enough like fellowshipping with a Bible ministry being in a cult. Plus it gives people too much freedom. Can't have that. Oh, and one more thing, you're f*cked up for even bringing it up. :wacko: :mooner:

The most irritating thing to me was being told I could not go home for Christmas

Now they don't let the staff go home for Christmas? What about the in-residence Corps nowadays? The only ones who had to stay put for the holidays were the W.O.W.'s.

Edited by erkjohn

Now they don't let the staff go home for Christmas? What about the in-residence Corps nowadays? The only ones who had to stay put for the holidays were the W.O.W.'s.

I couldn't go home for Christmas because I was the low man on the totem poll, so everyone else in my department was granted a Christmas vacation except me. That's why I couldn't go home for Christmas.

My understanding now is they "allow" the Staff to take vacations other than December, April or June. That's mighty big of them to "allow" that. :rolleyes: